Old 03-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Stephen Constantinou

Default Dual boot XP/ubuntu and symbolic links from XP to Kubuntu

Dear All

I am trying to bridge the gap between Windows and Ubuntu so as to keep
the wife happy. My wife uses the default XP boot option. I am
intending to boot Kubuntu and use this most of the time. I am able to
use my XP programmes that I cannot get in Linux as I use a commercial
tool called Win4Lin. It is best to have a wide screen monitor for this.

I do not want to copy all my user files from XP onto the Linux
partition. To this end I have learned (via this forum) how to mount the
xp/ntfs partition at boot up and now the XP file structure (of C is
available to me. I have from within Kubuntu made a folder and made a
new file with content direct onto the xp partition. I have booted into
xp read the file and added more content and booted into Kubuntu and seen
the the added content available. Nice!

But then I got ahead of myself. I realised that the e-mail boxes
represented a particular problem. I did not want to copy the e-mail
boxes for my three accounts into Linux because I thought I could do the
following: make symbolic links from the e-mail boxes in xp to the place
in Kubuntu where they should be. So (after making a new account in
Thunderbird/Kubuntu) I did and hey presto all the folders appeared in
Thunderbird.

But of course that is not the end. This needed to be tested and all the
logical tests you would think of doing, failed.
Test 1) While in Kubuntu/Thunderbird receive a new e-mail into Inbox and
reboot to XP to see if the new e-mail is there. It was received into
the Inbox but after a reboot into xp it was not present.
Test2) While in XP receive a new e-mail into Inbox and reboot to Kubuntu
to see if the new e-mail is there. It was received into the Inbox but
after a reboot into Kubuntu it was not present.

Unperturbed and still believing I am Captain Kirk (the man who always
had a plan to get out of trouble) I looked at the file properties and
permissions.
From within Kubuntu the xp folder containing the e-mails is owned by
root: and all groups can view & modify. This is also true of the
individual e-mail boxes/files.
From within Kubuntu/thunderbird the folder containing the e-mails is
owned by stephanos (the only user) and owner can view & Modify. Group
and Others are forbidden. The individual e-mail boxes/files clearly
state that they are links and do not have permissions.

Questions
1) Is what I am trying to achieve impossible or have I missed something?
2) Should I be turning those permissions that say Forbidden into Can
View & Modify?

Any help appreciated

Stephen

Old 03-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Derek Broughton

Stephen Constantinou wrote:

> Unperturbed and still believing I am Captain Kirk (the man who always
> had a plan to get out of trouble) I looked at the file properties and
> permissions.

Please, first set all phasers on "stun" - we don't want anyone to get
hurt :-)

> From within Kubuntu the xp folder containing the e-mails is owned by
> root: and all groups can view & modify. This is also true of the
> individual e-mail boxes/files.
> From within Kubuntu/thunderbird the folder containing the e-mails is
> owned by stephanos (the only user) and owner can view & Modify. Group
> and Others are forbidden. The individual e-mail boxes/files clearly
> state that they are links and do not have permissions.

Please send the output from "ls -l", rather than telling us - that doesn't
make sense to me and I suspect you're actually giving us the permission of
the symbolic link at some point (which is essentially meaningless).

> Questions
> 1) Is what I am trying to achieve impossible or have I missed something?

It's certainly possible.

> 2) Should I be turning those permissions that say Forbidden into Can
> View & Modify?

No.
--
derek

Old 03-11-2009, 03:34 PM
"Walton Hoops"

So, first off let me apologize for not answering your question directly, as
I simply don't know the answer :-). As soon as you mentioned your approach,
I suspected that Linux and Windows versions of thunderbird may not have
interchangeable mailboxes, but I can't tell you how they differ or if
there's anything you can do about it.

I can however tell you my approach to the same problem. IMAP. Using IMAP
instead of POP, lets your messages and their status be stored on the server
as well as your PC, so, unlike POP, when my windows box downloads it and
reads it, it's still there when I check my e-mail on my Linux box (and even
marked as read!). For the e-mail accounts that offer IMAP, I highly
recommend it. If you have any that don't, you can set up a gmail account to
check those addresses and file them in a separate folder. Gmail can even
spoof the other e-mail address when replying to e-mails sent to that
address.

I hope this helps. I know it's not what your shooting for, but it's my
approach to the same problem.

Walton

Old 03-11-2009, 05:46 PM

>. . .

>I do not want to copy all my user files from XP
onto the Linux

>partition. *To this end I have learned (via this forum) how to
mount the

>xp/ntfs partition at boot up and now the XP file structure (of C

>. . . *

>From within Kubuntu the xp folder containing the
e-mails is owned by

>root: and all groups can view & modify. *This is also true
of the

>individual e-mail boxes/files.

> From within Kubuntu/thunderbird the folder containing the e-mails
is

>owned by stephanos (the only user) and owner can view & Modify.
*Group

>and Others are forbidden. *The individual e-mail boxes/files clearly

>state that they are links and do not have permissions.

>Questions

>1) Is what I am trying to achieve impossible or have I missed something?

>2) Should I be turning those permissions that say Forbidden into Can

>View & Modify?

>Any help appreciated

>Stephen

The first question I ask is why are
you even linking? *Why not just

use the folders on your C drive as
your data folders for the email?

Anyway, What you are trying to do should
be possible, but some more

information would be nice.

You said that you mounted it at boot?
*What is the relevant line in

your fstab file? *Also if you
could ls -al the directory and post here

so that we could see the details of
the links you made?

I also do the same thing with my computer
and have no problems with

what you are describing, but it has
been a while since I set it up. *

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember
having problems with the

line in /etc/fstab. *I think it
should end with * 0 *0 *(zero *zero)

I think you may also have to change
the ownership of the folder

ie: *sudo chown stephanos
stephanos

(I only guessed at the stephanos'es, check your system
first!)

If that doesn't work try changing
the permissions on the folder using

the chmod command

Alan

This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message is prohibited -- please immediately and permanently delete this message.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

(Please add your replies to the bottom of the message...

Walton Hoops wrote:
> So, first off let me apologize for not answering your question
> directly, as
> I simply don't know the answer :-). As soon as you mentioned your
> approach,
> I suspected that Linux and Windows versions of thunderbird may not
> have
> interchangeable mailboxes, but I can't tell you how they differ or if
> there's anything you can do about it.

Actually, the TBird mailboxes _are_ interchangeable between Linux &
Windows. I do it. I have my mailfolders residing on a USB key drive.
Regularly use it between Ubuntu at work, at home, and with Vista & XP.

> I can however tell you my approach to the same problem. IMAP. Using
> IMAP
> instead of POP, lets your messages and their status be stored on the
> server
> as well as your PC....

Close, but not exactly. With the IMAP connection method, the "offical"
copy of your messages are on the server, and your email client makes a
local copy to work with. At the specified update intervals your email
client send info to the server of what's changed.
Most email clients have a "Work Offline" mode, but I personally don't
trust it. Then again, everytime I check my email I have internet
connectivity, so I've never really tried offline mode anyway.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things
are everywhere."
--- Dr. Seuss

Old 03-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Stephen Constantinou

Alan_Dacey@horizonblue.com wrote:

> >. . .
> >I do not want to copy all my user files from XP onto the Linux
> >partition. To this end I have learned (via this forum) how to mount the
> >xp/ntfs partition at boot up and now the XP file structure (of C
> >. . .
> >From within Kubuntu the xp folder containing the e-mails is owned by
> >root: and all groups can view & modify. This is also true of the
> >individual e-mail boxes/files.
> > From within Kubuntu/thunderbird the folder containing the e-mails is
> >owned by stephanos (the only user) and owner can view & Modify. Group
> >and Others are forbidden. The individual e-mail boxes/files clearly
> >state that they are links and do not have permissions.
> >
> >Questions
> >1) Is what I am trying to achieve impossible or have I missed something?
> >2) Should I be turning those permissions that say Forbidden into Can
> >View & Modify?
> >
> >Any help appreciated
> >
> >Stephen
>
> The first question I ask is why are you even linking? Why not just
> use the folders on your C drive as your data folders for the email?
>
> Anyway, What you are trying to do should be possible, but some more
> information would be nice.
> You said that you mounted it at boot? What is the relevant line in
> your fstab file? Also if you could ls -al the directory and post here
> so that we could see the details of the links you made?
>
> I also do the same thing with my computer and have no problems with
> what you are describing, but it has been a while since I set it up.
> Off the top of my head, I seem to remember having problems with the
> line in /etc/fstab. I think it should end with 0 0 (zero zero)
> I think you may also have to change the ownership of the folder
> ie: sudo chown stephanos stephanos
> (I only guessed at the stephanos'es, check your system first!)
>
> If that doesn't work try changing the permissions on the folder using
> the chmod command
>

> Alan
>
> ================================================== ============================
> This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message is prohibited -- please immediately and permanently delete this message.
> ================================================== ============================

Dear All

Thanks to Alan, Derek and Walton. Before I go down the avenue of ls
etc, I just want to explore with Alan his first suggestion about loading
the mail boxes directly from C drive.

Alan, I thought about this and could not remember why I did not try
this. Many years ago I did just copy them over/import them from win98
into Mandrake and they did work. I was always hoping to improve the
situation.

With Thunderbird (XP), inside the account section, on the Server
Directory list on the left, there is indeed a Local Directory display
that points at the location of the mail boxes and a browse button to
change the location.

With Thunderbird (Kubuntu), there is not. Now I am surprised by this.
Such an option does exists in Thunderbird (Kubuntu) for the Local
Folders only and not for accounts that I have made. In total I need to
set up five e-mail accounts each with their own Inbox's.

Is my Thunderbird different to yours?

Thanks and wait to hear

Stephen

Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

> [...]
> etc, I just want to explore with Alan his first suggestion about loading
> the mail boxes directly from C drive.
>
> Alan, I thought about this and could not remember why I did not try
> this. Many years ago I did just copy them over/import them from win98
> into Mandrake and they did work. I was always hoping to improve the
> situation.
>
> With Thunderbird (XP), inside the account section, on the Server
> Directory list on the left, there is indeed a Local Directory display
> that points at the location of the mail boxes and a browse button to
> change the location.
>
> With Thunderbird (Kubuntu), there is not. Now I am surprised by this.
> Such an option does exists in Thunderbird (Kubuntu) for the Local
> Folders only and not for accounts that I have made. In total I need to
> set up five e-mail accounts each with their own Inbox's.

It's acting different than TBird (2.0.0.19) here on my Ubuntu
machine, and every other TBird install I've seen, regardless of OS...
Did you install TBird from Ubuntu repos, or somewhere else?

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things
are everywhere."
--- Dr. Seuss

Old 03-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Stephen

Dave Woyciesjes wrote:

> Stephen Constantinou wrote:

>>> The first question I ask is why are you even linking? Why not just
>>> use the folders on your C drive as your data folders for the email?
>>>
>>> Anyway, What you are trying to do should be possible, but some more
>>> information would be nice.
>>> You said that you mounted it at boot? What is the relevant line in
>>> your fstab file? Also if you could ls -al the directory and post here
>>> so that we could see the details of the links you made?
>>>
>>> I also do the same thing with my computer and have no problems with
>>> what you are describing, but it has been a while since I set it up.
>>> Off the top of my head, I seem to remember having problems with the
>>> line in /etc/fstab. I think it should end with 0 0 (zero zero)
>>> I think you may also have to change the ownership of the folder
>>> ie: sudo chown stephanos stephanos
>>> (I only guessed at the stephanos'es, check your system first!)
>>>
>>> If that doesn't work try changing the permissions on the folder using
>>> the chmod command
>>>

>>> Alan
>>>
>>> ================================================== ============================
>>> This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message is prohibited -- please immediately and permanently delete this message.
>>> ================================================== ============================
>>>

>> Dear All
>>
>> Thanks to Alan, Derek and Walton. Before I go down the avenue of ls
>> etc, I just want to explore with Alan his first suggestion about loading
>> the mail boxes directly from C drive.
>>
>> Alan, I thought about this and could not remember why I did not try
>> this. Many years ago I did just copy them over/import them from win98
>> into Mandrake and they did work. I was always hoping to improve the
>> situation.
>>
>> With Thunderbird (XP), inside the account section, on the Server
>> Directory list on the left, there is indeed a Local Directory display
>> that points at the location of the mail boxes and a browse button to
>> change the location.
>>
>> With Thunderbird (Kubuntu), there is not. Now I am surprised by this.
>> Such an option does exists in Thunderbird (Kubuntu) for the Local
>> Folders only and not for accounts that I have made. In total I need to
>> set up five e-mail accounts each with their own Inbox's.
>>
>> Is my Thunderbird different to yours?
>>
>> Thanks and wait to hear
>>
>> Stephen
>>

> It's acting different than TBird (2.0.0.19) here on my Ubuntu
> machine, and every other TBird install I've seen, regardless of OS...
> Did you install TBird from Ubuntu repos, or somewhere else?

Dear All

I posted a question on the mozilla/Thunderbird forum and solved this one.

I am embarrassed to say that the window showing the server setting only
had to be resized to show the Local Directory.

I have now pointed this to the xp partition and tested it. I am now
able to see the and use the same mail folders in both xp and Ubuntu. A
much better solution than using symbolic links.

Thanks to all and thanks to Alan for suggesting this

Best wishes

Stephen

Old 03-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Ray Parrish

Stephen wrote:
> Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>

>> Stephen Constantinou wrote:

>>> Dear All
>>>
>>> Thanks to Alan, Derek and Walton. Before I go down the avenue of ls
>>> etc, I just want to explore with Alan his first suggestion about loading
>>> the mail boxes directly from C drive.
>>>
>>> Alan, I thought about this and could not remember why I did not try
>>> this. Many years ago I did just copy them over/import them from win98
>>> into Mandrake and they did work. I was always hoping to improve the
>>> situation.
>>>
>>> With Thunderbird (XP), inside the account section, on the Server
>>> Directory list on the left, there is indeed a Local Directory display
>>> that points at the location of the mail boxes and a browse button to
>>> change the location.
>>>
>>> With Thunderbird (Kubuntu), there is not. Now I am surprised by this.
>>> Such an option does exists in Thunderbird (Kubuntu) for the Local
>>> Folders only and not for accounts that I have made. In total I need to
>>> set up five e-mail accounts each with their own Inbox's.
>>>
>>> Is my Thunderbird different to yours?
>>>
>>> Thanks and wait to hear
>>>
>>> Stephen
>>>

>> It's acting different than TBird (2.0.0.19) here on my Ubuntu
>> machine, and every other TBird install I've seen, regardless of OS...
>> Did you install TBird from Ubuntu repos, or somewhere else?
>>

> Dear All
>
> I posted a question on the mozilla/Thunderbird forum and solved this one.
>
> I am embarrassed to say that the window showing the server setting only
> had to be resized to show the Local Directory.
>
> I have now pointed this to the xp partition and tested it. I am now
> able to see the and use the same mail folders in both xp and Ubuntu. A
> much better solution than using symbolic links.
>
> Thanks to all and thanks to Alan for suggesting this
>
> Best wishes
>
> Stephen

Hi there,

Congratulations on figuring out how to do this! I just wanted to warn
you about one thing that can go wrong when editing files on the Win XP
drive from within Ubuntu. If you have System Restore monitoring the
drive where your email files reside, or any drive which you make changes
to from within Ubuntu while Windows is not running,, on the next boot
into Windows, System Restore will detect the changes, and you will lose
all of your restore points. This only applies if you change files of a
type which System Restore actually monitors, so it may not apply to your
mail files.

Just thought you might like to know that little fact. 8-)

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com

Old 03-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Stephen

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>> Dave Woyciesjes wrote:

>>> It's acting different than TBird (2.0.0.19) here on my Ubuntu
>>> machine, and every other TBird install I've seen, regardless of OS...
>>> Did you install TBird from Ubuntu repos, or somewhere else?
>>>

>> Dear All
>>
>> I posted a question on the mozilla/Thunderbird forum and solved this one.
>>
>> I am embarrassed to say that the window showing the server setting only
>> had to be resized to show the Local Directory.
>>
>> I have now pointed this to the xp partition and tested it. I am now
>> able to see the and use the same mail folders in both xp and Ubuntu. A
>> much better solution than using symbolic links.
>>
>> Thanks to all and thanks to Alan for suggesting this
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> Stephen
>>
> Hi there,
>
> Congratulations on figuring out how to do this! I just wanted to warn
> you about one thing that can go wrong when editing files on the Win XP
> drive from within Ubuntu. If you have System Restore monitoring the
> drive where your email files reside, or any drive which you make changes
> to from within Ubuntu while Windows is not running,, on the next boot
> into Windows, System Restore will detect the changes, and you will lose
> all of your restore points. This only applies if you change files of a
> type which System Restore actually monitors, so it may not apply to your
> mail files.
>
> Just thought you might like to know that little fact. 8-)
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

Dear Ray

This is worth knowing as I have to maintain XP for my wife and I was
using system restore for back up points.

I will bear this in mind

Thanks

Stephen