Old 03-11-2009, 03:45 AM
Jeffrey Tooker

Default Replacing A HDD in a Dual Drive System

I am running an Ubuntu XP dual drive system. When the system boots it
comes up to the system choices. The Ubuntu options are listed first
(8.04) Then the "Other System". In this case it is the XP Home
Edition, which is on a separate drive. I would like to replace the XP
drive and do a clean install of XP on the new drive. From what I can
see of the boot sequence I should be able to remove the old XP drive
and replace it with a new drive. I should then be able to start the
system and go to the new disk and install the new XP program on the new
disk. Is this correct or possible?

Thank you.

Jeffrey Tooker

Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Eberhard Roloff

Jeffrey Tooker wrote:
> I am running an Ubuntu XP dual drive system. When the system boots it
> comes up to the system choices. The Ubuntu options are listed first
> (8.04) Then the "Other System". In this case it is the XP Home
> Edition, which is on a separate drive. I would like to replace the XP
> drive and do a clean install of XP on the new drive. From what I can
> see of the boot sequence I should be able to remove the old XP drive
> and replace it with a new drive. I should then be able to start the
> system and go to the new disk and install the new XP program on the new
> disk. Is this correct or possible?

Both, BUT with a BIG BUT:

If you install windows on your existing system, it will recklessly
overwrite your Linux bootmanager, i.e. grub, as far as grub resides in
the bootloader of your bootdisk. Otherwise it will nevertheless take
care that windows and just windows will boot after the XP installation.

So you might save your grub grub bootloader before installing windows.
Thus it will be easier to restore, after it has been overwritten.

Eberhard

Old 03-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Brian McKee

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 6:18 AM, Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@gmx.de> wrote:
> Jeffrey Tooker wrote:
>> I am running an Ubuntu XP dual drive system. *When the system boots it
>> comes up to the system choices. *The Ubuntu options are listed first
>> (8.04) *Then the "Other System". *In this case it is the XP Home
>> Edition, which is on a separate drive. *I would like to replace the *XP
>> drive and do a clean install of XP on the new drive. *From what I can
>> see of the *boot sequence I should be able to remove the old XP drive
>> and replace it with a new drive. *I should *then be able to start the
>> system and go to the new disk and install the new XP program on the new
>> disk. *Is this correct or possible?
>
> Both, BUT with a BIG BUT:
>
> If you install windows on your existing system, it will recklessly
> overwrite your Linux bootmanager, i.e. grub, as far as grub resides in
> the bootloader of your bootdisk. Otherwise it will nevertheless take
> care that windows and just windows will boot after the XP installation.
>
> So you might save your grub grub bootloader before installing windows.
> Thus it will be easier to restore, after it has been overwritten.

It might be easier to just disconnect your linux drive, install XP on
the new drive as the only drive present, then connect the linux drive
back up.

Brian

Old 03-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Brian McKee

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 6:18 AM, Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@gmx.de> wrote:

>> So you might save your grub grub bootloader before installing windows.
>> Thus it will be easier to restore, after it has been overwritten.
>
> It might be easier to just disconnect your linux drive, install XP on
> the new drive as the only drive present, then connect the linux drive
> back up.

But, hey - a backup is always a good idea :-) Do that too.

Brian

Old 03-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Rashkae

Jeffrey Tooker wrote:
> I am running an Ubuntu XP dual drive system. When the system boots it
> comes up to the system choices. The Ubuntu options are listed first
> (8.04) Then the "Other System". In this case it is the XP Home
> Edition, which is on a separate drive. I would like to replace the XP
> drive and do a clean install of XP on the new drive. From what I can
> see of the boot sequence I should be able to remove the old XP drive
> and replace it with a new drive. I should then be able to start the
> system and go to the new disk and install the new XP program on the new
> disk. Is this correct or possible?

Yes, quite possible, however, I *strong* suggest you disconnect your
Ubuntu drive when you install Windows. Then, after install, you can
re-connect Ubuntu drive, tell your bios to boot from it, and everything
should work as before. If it doesn't, you can use the BIOS to select
which drive to boot from until you figure out what needs be changed in Grub.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Brian McKee wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thus it will be easier to restore, after it has been overwritten.
>> It might be easier to just disconnect your linux drive, install XP on
>> the new drive as the only drive present, then connect the linux drive
>> back up.
>
> But, hey - a backup is always a good idea :-) Do that too.
>
> Brian

Fully agreed. This will be the easiest solution, if you want to open
your case.

And although backup always is a good idea ;-), I cannot see,
what to backup here. Windows per definition does not need backups ;-))
and Linux will be disconnected.

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 03-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Rashkae

Eberhard Roloff wrote:

> Fully agreed. This will be the easiest solution, if you want to open
> your case.

If you want to open your case? I have to admit, 'psychic surgery'
wasn't really something I considered for the hard drive replacement
procedure that spawned this thread in the first place