Old 03-10-2009, 09:04 PM

Default Disk space went away after upgrade

The auto upgrade of the recent Ubuntu in a Dell Mini 9 left very
little disk space. Was there something that was supposed to be
removed?

Thanks,

John

--

John Conover, conover@rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/

Old 03-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Matthew Flaschen

John Conover wrote:
> The auto upgrade of the recent Ubuntu in a Dell Mini 9 left very
> little disk space.

There's no autoupgrade... You have to agree.

> Was there something that was supposed to be
> removed?

If you really used the standard GUI upgrader, it should have removed
unneeded packages automatically. If you're really missing a large
amount of space, you can't beat good old du.

Matt Flaschen

Old 03-10-2009, 11:57 PM
Norberto Bensa

The auto upgrade of the recent Ubuntu in a Dell Mini 9 left very

little disk space. Was there something that was supposed to be

removed?

try sudo aptitude autoclean, or sudo aptitude clean

Old 03-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:04 PM, John Conover <conover@rahul.net> wrote:

> The auto upgrade of the recent Ubuntu in a Dell Mini 9 left very
> little disk space. Was there something that was supposed to be
> removed?
>
> * * * *Thanks,
>
> * * * *John
> John Conover, conover@rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/

I don't know why it happened but you can:

$ sudo apt-get autoclean

$ sudo apt-get autoremove

remove old disposable kernels - (synaptic - search "linux")

check the size of the log files in /var/log, if too big delete (after
finding out why the overgrowth)

and of course, remove unused applications.

L.

--
Lucio M Nicolosi, Eng. - Sao Paulo - Brazil
skype: lmnicolosi1

Old 03-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Derek Broughton

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> John Conover wrote:
>> The auto upgrade of the recent Ubuntu in a Dell Mini 9 left very
>> little disk space.
>
> There's no autoupgrade... You have to agree.
>
>> Was there something that was supposed to be
>> removed?
>
> If you really used the standard GUI upgrader, it should have removed
> unneeded packages automatically.

Really? I suspect it doesn't run an "apt-get clean" (I wouldn't notice,
anyway: besides the fact that release upgrades only happen twice a year, I
use apt-move to clean out the apt archive, weekly), so if you're really
short on disk space, running that is always a good start.
--
derek

Old 03-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>
>> John Conover wrote:
>>> The auto upgrade of the recent Ubuntu in a Dell Mini 9 left very
>>> little disk space.
>> There's no autoupgrade... You have to agree.
>>
>>> Was there something that was supposed to be
>>> removed?
>> If you really used the standard GUI upgrader, it should have removed
>> unneeded packages automatically.
>
> Really? I suspect it doesn't run an "apt-get clean" (I wouldn't notice,
> anyway: besides the fact that release upgrades only happen twice a year, I
> use apt-move to clean out the apt archive, weekly), so if you're really
> short on disk space, running that is always a good start.

I meant remove as in equivalent to apt-get remove, not apt-get clean.
apt-get clean is certainly harmless and worth a try, though the cache is
never that large.

Matt Flaschen

Old 03-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Derek Broughton

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Matthew Flaschen wrote:

>>> There's no autoupgrade... You have to agree.

>>> If you really used the standard GUI upgrader, it should have removed
>>> unneeded packages automatically.
>>
>> Really? I suspect it doesn't run an "apt-get clean" (I wouldn't notice,
>> anyway: besides the fact that release upgrades only happen twice a year,
>> I use apt-move to clean out the apt archive, weekly), so if you're really
>> short on disk space, running that is always a good start.
>
> I meant remove as in equivalent to apt-get remove, not apt-get clean.
> apt-get clean is certainly harmless and worth a try, though the cache is
> never that large.

It can be - especially after a system upgrade, which is why I was wondering
if the upgrade really does do a "clean". It would make sense, but I don't
think it does. My apt cache is currently 765MB - that could be significant
on a Mini.
--
derek

Old 03-12-2009, 02:51 PM
"H.S."

John Conover wrote:
> The auto upgrade of the recent Ubuntu in a Dell Mini 9 left very
> little disk space. Was there something that was supposed to be
> removed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Please be a bit more specific. Auto upgrade does not install any new
packages that are not needed, AFAIK. The output of the following command
in a terminal will be useful to see what is going on:
$> df -h

ever having been read.