-   -   boot floppy (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/26052-boot-floppy.html)

"basil hanna" 12-30-2007 08:26 PM

boot floppy

Hello ubuntu users
*
I*simply want to create boot floppy from 7.1
ubuntu could someone tell me an easy way to do this i have downloaded wrawrite
for windows but which files to use.
*
Your help much appreciated
*
Thanks,bas

"Pr Lidn" 01-02-2008 08:49 PM

boot floppy

You need a boot floppy really? You're unable to boot from the cd?

/Pr

2007/12/30, basil hanna <basilhanna1@blueyonder.co.uk
>:

Hello ubuntu users
*

"Njoku, George O." 01-02-2008 10:17 PM

boot floppy

Format floppy with “fdformat”

*

#> fdformat /dev/fd0

*

Then use “mkboot” program

*

#> mkboot –d /dev/fd0

*

Cheers

George

*

*

"Pr Lidn" 01-07-2008 10:14 AM

boot floppy

Hello Hanna, sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been away on a little trip. From what I understand from the link you provided, you should open a command prompt in windows, place yourself in the directory where you installed the rawwrite utility and type:

rawwrite -f d:installsbm.bin

assuming your cd-rom is d: in windows. If it is something else, replace it with for example e: or g: or whatever.

Maybe there could be an option in your bios where you might specify the boot order, ie which devices it should try booting from first. In some cases you are even able to specify and external cd-rom there. Might be worthwhile to check out.

Hope this could be of some help

Cheers
Pr

"Pr Lidn" 01-07-2008 10:23 AM

boot floppy

Just saw this other option:
On your working Ubuntu system, you can install sbm. To do this, you should open open System (from thetop panel) -> Administration -> synaptic package manager. Search for sbm, and install only the package named just 'sbm'. Then in a terminal type

sbminst -d /dev/fd0 (assuming you have a formatted floppy in your floppy drive).

Yes, I know that for some kinds of hardware, Linux is quite difficult to use. So, in some cases, Linux is still somewhat just for the geeks...

/Pr

"Pr Lidn" 01-09-2008 09:36 AM

boot floppy

Hmm, a pity that it doesn't work for you. I'm afraid that the sbm program does not support usb then. This means that you will have a hard time installing Ubuntu on that computer I'm afraid.

One option is to create a complete linux boot-disk, and from that disk mount the installation cd as the root disk. If you download
boot.img from here, you can try that. But it is a quite complicated method to do that.
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/current//images/floppy/

Another solution I can think of is to install first Debian using their boot
floppies. But I think After you have installed Debian, you may upgrade from Debian to Ubuntu by changing some config files.You can look here for information
about installing Debian:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/
Although this is easier than the first solution, it is still quite complicated.

Do you have internet access at home via a router? Then you might try this, which is maybe the easiest way to install Debian, look at this page:
http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst
But you still have to do the config file trick to upgrade to Ubuntu after that.

So, I'm afraid that installing Ubuntu on your computer is quite hard, actually. Debian, and probably Slackware and some others too, would be easier. And Debian is also a quite decent distribution. That is often the big obstacle for getting to use Linux for the home user, that it does not support all kinds of hardware, in my experience. On the other hand, Windows is probably not so easy to install from scratch from floppies either.

Hope this could be of some help
/Pr

2008/1/7, basil hanna <basilhanna1@blueyonder.co.uk>:

Hello Par
*
I have managed to get the rawwrite to work and
created the floppy from your instruction but when tried it on the laptop it
booted up o.k and it can only recognizes the floppy or the hdd boot and it
doesnt recognizes boot from usb or pcmcia, is there other utilities can be
loaded from the live cd ?
*
Cheers,Basil.

basil hanna ; Ubuntu user technical support, not
for general discussions