Old 03-10-2009, 10:42 AM
jiten jha

Default how to protect file using password

Dear all,
************** I have a file i just want to protect it using password . like when every one open that file that it is asking for password. tell me the command prompt option and command also.
*
Thanks and RegardJitendra Jha+91-9893325765

Old 03-10-2009, 12:09 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

jiten jha wrote:
> Dear all,
> I have a file i just want to protect it using password . like when every one open that file that it is asking for password. tell me the command prompt option and command also.
>
> Thanks and Regard
> Jitendra Jha
> +91-9893325765

Every file has a owner. Every owner has a password. You check for
the owner with ls -al and it will give you something like this:

karl@karl-hardy:~$ ls -al test
-rw-r--r-- 1 karl karl 528 2008-08-11 16:40 test

The -rw means read and write. The karl means user karl is the owner.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 03-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Carl Friis-Hansen

jiten jha wrote:

> Dear all,
> I have a file i just want to protect it using password .
> like when every one open that file that it is asking for password. tell
> me the command prompt option and command also.
>
> Thanks and Regard
> Jitendra Jha
> +91-9893325765

There are many possibilities. One is to archive it with password.
Another is to use mcrypt, which is suggested here:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-or-unix-password-protecting-files.html

Old 03-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Every file has a owner. Every owner has a password. You check for the
> owner with ls -al and it will give you something like this:
>
> karl@karl-hardy:~$ ls -al test -rw-r--r-- 1 karl karl 528 2008-08-11
> 16:40 test
>
> The -rw means read and write. The karl means user karl is the owner.

I'm fairly certain the OP doesn't mean Unix permissions (which can be
bypassed in a myriad of ways), Karl.

Encryption methods worth looking at include cryptsetup-luks, gpg, and
True Crypt.

Matt Flaschen