Old 03-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Charlie Dorff

Default How do I install Ubuntu using a thumb drive?

Hi...
I have been trying to install Ubuntu on my netbook using a thumb drive. I used several different methods to put Ubuntu on a thumb drive and each time I reboot my computer Windows starts running instead of going into Ubuntu live mode. I tried purchasing a thumb drive with Ubuntu and the samething happens. I was wondering if I need to change my settings? Does anyone have any idea of what's going on? I use an dell inspiration mini. Thank you.
Charlie

Old 03-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Charlie Dorff wrote:
> Hi... I have been trying to install Ubuntu on my netbook using a
> thumb drive. I used several different methods to put Ubuntu on a
> thumb drive and each time I reboot my computer Windows starts running
> instead of going into Ubuntu live mode. I tried purchasing a thumb
> drive with Ubuntu and the samething happens.

You've left out all the relevant information. What "methods" did you
use. What version of Ubuntu, and how did you transfer it, etc.? ther
There are many tutorials on this we could send you to, but first we want
to know what you already tried.

Matt Flaschen

Old 03-10-2009, 01:47 AM
Victor Padro

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> wrote:

Charlie Dorff wrote:

> Hi... I have been trying to install Ubuntu on my netbook using a

> thumb drive. I used several different methods to put Ubuntu on a

> thumb drive and each time I reboot my computer Windows starts running

> instead of going into Ubuntu live mode. I tried purchasing a thumb

> drive with Ubuntu and the samething happens.

You've left out all the relevant information. *What "methods" did you

use. *What version of Ubuntu, and how did you transfer it, etc.? *ther

There are many tutorials on this we could send you to, but first we want

to know what you already tried.

Matt Flaschen

The easiest way to do it for my HP mini was using unetbootin http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html it can be done using windows or linux(although there are certain packages that are needed) and there are many distros which you can choose from, including Ubuntu.

good luck

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 03-10-2009, 02:03 AM
Charlie Dorff

Hi again...
I had asked earlier how to install Ubuntu using a thumb drive and got a response saying I needed to be more detailed. I first tried using Unetbootin to transfer Ubuntu 8.10 onto a 2 gigabyte thumb drive. Unetbootin requires broadband internet so I took my netbook to a coffee shop and used their wifi. After Ubuntu had finished downloading I checked to see if Ubuntu was on the thumb drive and it was so I rebooted my computer. When my computer started up Windows came up running. My computer didn't go into Ubuntu live mode. The second method was to run a cd in live mode and then in the menu selected make a USB startup disk. After the transfer was complete I put the thumb drive in my USB port of my netbook and again it went straight into Windows without going into Ubuntu. I finally purchased a thumb drive with Ubuntu 8.10 and the results were the
same. I have an Inspiration netbook. Please let me know if I need to include anymore information. Thank you.*
Charlie

Old 03-10-2009, 02:23 AM
Victor Padro

[...]

You have to boot from USB first usually when the computers boots up press F8 or F12 on the keyboard and you could choose where to boot from.
on my HP it's F9, or you can change the bios settings to acomplish the same task.

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 03-10-2009, 03:07 AM
David Widder

When you start up your computer, there are usually a few commands, like press F12 for setup, but they could be the Delete or F2 keys also. in that menu, there will be some place that says "boot order" and arange them so USB is above HD or hard drive. save, exit and reboot.

Mr. David G. Widder
*
CEO of DaveCo Inc®
DaveCo, Your Personal IT Consultant.