Old 03-09-2009, 07:49 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default Brightness applet works in KDE but not in Gnome

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>> I have a much bigger problem on both Hardy and 8.11, I can't find a
>> brightness applet anywhere :-)
>>
>> Please give me a hint where to go to find this control.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> In 8.10: Add to Panel -> Brightness Applet
>
> L.

I discover that the Brightness applet works perfect on my laptop
with 8.11 Ubuntu and does not work at all on my Hardy system. I think
perhaps it was not done well on Hardy. But on 8.11 it is perfect.

Sorry it differs from your experience.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 03-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> * *I discover that the Brightness applet works perfect on my laptop
> with 8.11 Ubuntu and does not work at all on my Hardy system. I think
> perhaps it was not done well on Hardy. But on 8.11 it is perfect.
>
> * *Sorry it differs from your experience.
>

> Karl

That's because 8.11 is a special edition. :-)

--
Lucio M Nicolosi, Eng. - Sao Paulo - Brazil
skype: lmnicolosi1

Old 03-09-2009, 08:03 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

"Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> said:
> I discover that the Brightness applet works perfect on my laptop
> with 8.11 Ubuntu and does not work at all on my Hardy system. I think
> perhaps it was not done well on Hardy. But on 8.11 it is perfect.
>
> Sorry it differs from your experience.
>

> Karl

Is your Hardy system a laptop?
From: About >Power Manager Brightness Applet 2.22.1:
Adjusts laptop panel brightness.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 03-09-2009, 08:20 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> said:
>
>> I discover that the Brightness applet works perfect on my laptop
>> with 8.11 Ubuntu and does not work at all on my Hardy system. I think
>> perhaps it was not done well on Hardy. But on 8.11 it is perfect.
>>
>> Sorry it differs from your experience.
>>

>> Karl
>>

> Is your Hardy system a laptop?
> From: About >Power Manager Brightness Applet 2.22.1:
> Adjusts laptop panel brightness.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

Alas yes it complained because the Hardy is this computer and not a
laptop. It appears it works only with laptops.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 03-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Nolan Cooper

Nolan flopped in chair, hunched shoulders, and pecked out:
> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> said:
>>
>>> I discover that the Brightness applet works perfect on my laptop
>>> with 8.11 Ubuntu and does not work at all on my Hardy system. I think
>>> perhaps it was not done well on Hardy. But on 8.11 it is perfect.
>>>
>>> Sorry it differs from your experience.
>>>

>>> Karl
>>>
>> Is your Hardy system a laptop?
>> From: About >Power Manager Brightness Applet 2.22.1:
>> Adjusts laptop panel brightness.
>>
>> Cybe R. Wizard
>>
> Alas yes it complained because the Hardy is this computer and not a
> laptop. It appears it works only with laptops.
>
> Karl

Karl
Just a thought, Do you have the ACPI enabled in the BIOS for the
desktop computer?

I would think this would be needed before The PMBA could be used.

nolan

Old 03-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 14:35 -0700, Nolan Cooper wrote:
> Karl
> Just a thought, Do you have the ACPI enabled in the BIOS for the
> desktop computer?
>
> I would think this would be needed before The PMBA could be used.

The brightness applet changes the physical brightness of the lamps of
the laptop screen. You cannot do this over a video cable to an external
monitor. That's why external monitors have their own screen brightness
buttons

Old 03-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Vincent Arnoux

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 20:11, Vincent Arnoux <vincent.arnoux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello the list,
> As the title says, I have in issue with the brightness applet in gnome
> (the slider that lets you modify the screen brightness) on my 8.10
> laptop. In KDE it works fine. In Gnome, when I move the slider, the
> desktop will hang for a few minutes (5 to 10 minutes) and (very slow)
> step by (very slow) step reach the brightness level I set. How can I
> fix or at least where should I look to debug that behavior?
>
> Thanks,
> Vincent

OK, so I guess no one can give me a hint on this issue? Not even where
to look for log files? When starting the applet from a terminal, I get
no output.

Thanks,
Vincent

Old 03-20-2009, 03:30 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Vincent Arnoux
<vincent.arnoux@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 20:11, Vincent Arnoux <vincent.arnoux@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello the list,
>> As the title says, I have in issue with the brightness applet in gnome
>> (the slider that lets you modify the screen brightness) on my 8.10
>> laptop. In KDE it works fine. In Gnome, when I move the slider, the
>> desktop will hang for a few minutes (5 to 10 minutes) and (very slow)
>> step by (very slow) step reach the brightness level I set. How can I
>> fix or at least where should I look to debug that behavior?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Vincent
>
> OK, so I guess no one can give me a hint on this issue? Not even where
> to look for log files? When starting the applet from a terminal, I get
> no output.
>
> Thanks,
> Vincent

It seems this feature is provided by

acpi-support:

"scripts for handling many ACPI events

This package contains scripts to react to various ACPI events. It only
includes scripts for events that can be supported with some level of
safety cross platform.

It is able to:
* Detect loss and gain of AC power, lid closure, and the press of a
number of specific buttons (on Asus, IBM, Lenovo, Panasonic, Sony
and Toshiba laptops).
* On some laptops, set screen brightness."

Perhaps you could check in Synaptic - acpi-support -
Properties/Installed Files if your notebook brand is listed.