-   -   Cluster accounting failed at 135593 (0x211a9): missing cluster in $Bitmap (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/25978-cluster-accounting-failed-135593-0x211a9-missing-cluster-bitmap.html)

"Chris Lemire" 12-31-2007 10:57 PM

Cluster accounting failed at 135593 (0x211a9): missing cluster in $Bitmap

I believe the ntfs-3g driver in Linux has destroyed Windows on my other hard drive. After saving a file using gimp to Windows, I could not delete or view that file from Windows. Even though an icon was showing on the Windows desktop for that picture that Gimp had put there, double clicking it created a message saying that the file did not exist. I was able to delete the file from Linux, but now each time I use Windows, it crashes within 15 minutes. It seems to be crashing sooner now. It's not doing a blue screen of death. It's not giving any error messages. All it is doing is after using it for a little amount of time, it will freeze for about 2 seconds, and then my screen goes black, and my computer reboots. I've done several disk checks when Windows is starting and even ran ntfsfix on the Windows partition from within Linux several times. I did a "check and repair" using gparted, and this is the message I got.

GParted 0.3.3

*Libparted 1.7.1

*
Check and repair filesystem (ntfs) on /dev/sdb1* 00:02*** ( ERROR )
*****
** calibrate /dev/sdb1* 00:00*** ( SUCCES )
*****
* path: /dev/sdb1
start: 63

end: 138110804
size: 138110742 (65.86 GiB)
** check filesystem on /dev/sdb1 for errors and (if possible) fix them* 00:02*** ( ERROR )
*****
* ntfsresize -P -i -f -v /dev/sdb1
*****
* ntfsresize
v1.13.1 (libntfs 9:0:0)
Device name : /dev/sdb1
NTFS volume version: 3.1
Cluster size : 4096 bytes
Current volume size: 70712697344 bytes (70713 MB)
Current device size: 70712699904 bytes (70713 MB)
Checking for bad sectors ...

Checking filesystem consistency ...
Accounting clusters ...
Cluster accounting failed at 135593 (0x211a9): missing cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 135594 (0x211aa): missing cluster in $Bitmap

Cluster accounting failed at 135595 (0x211ab): missing cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 135596 (0x211ac): missing cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 135597 (0x211ad): missing cluster in $Bitmap

Cluster accounting failed at 135598 (0x211ae): missing cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 135599 (0x211af): missing cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 135600 (0x211b0): missing cluster in $Bitmap

Cluster accounting failed at 135601 (0x211b1): missing cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 135602 (0x211b2): missing cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 135603 (0x211b3): missing cluster in $Bitmap

Cluster accounting failed at 135604 (0x211b4): missing cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 141946 (0x22a7a): extra cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 141947 (0x22a7b): extra cluster in $Bitmap

Cluster accounting failed at 141948 (0x22a7c): extra cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 141949 (0x22a7d): extra cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 141950 (0x22a7e): extra cluster in $Bitmap

Cluster accounting failed at 141951 (0x22a7f): extra cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 141952 (0x22a80): extra cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 141953 (0x22a81): extra cluster in $Bitmap

Cluster accounting failed at 141954 (0x22a82): extra cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 141955 (0x22a83): extra cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 141956 (0x22a84): extra cluster in $Bitmap

Cluster accounting failed at 141957 (0x22a85): extra cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 5912473 (0x5a3799): extra cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 5912474 (0x5a379a): extra cluster in $Bitmap

Cluster accounting failed at 5912475 (0x5a379b): extra cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 5912476 (0x5a379c): extra cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 5921646 (0x5a5b6e): extra cluster in $Bitmap

Cluster accounting failed at 5921647 (0x5a5b6f): extra cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 5921648 (0x5a5b70): extra cluster in $Bitmap
Cluster accounting failed at 5921649 (0x5a5b71): extra cluster in $Bitmap

Filesystem check failed! Totally 32 cluster accounting mismatches.
ERROR: NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE!
The usage of the /f parameter is very IMPORTANT! No modification was

and will be made to NTFS by this software until it gets repaired.
*

* ========================================

*
Check and repair filesystem (ntfs) on /dev/sdb2

* ========================================

*
Check and repair filesystem (ext3) on /dev/sdb3

* ========================================

If I boot to Windows and open a command prompt and type chkdsk /f. It says that is not allowed because the volume is in use. Is that any different than the chkdsk that runs before logging into Windows?

--
Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire@gmail.com>

"Steve Flynn" 01-01-2008 02:16 AM

On Dec 31, 2007 11:57 PM, Chris Lemire <good_bye300@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Check and repair filesystem (ntfs) on /dev/sdb2

> Check and repair filesystem (ext3) on /dev/sdb3

> If I boot to Windows and open a command prompt and type chkdsk /f. It says
> that is not allowed because the volume is in use. Is that any different than
> the chkdsk that runs before logging into Windows?

Try CHKNTFS instead.

--
Steve
people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

"Christopher Lemire" 01-01-2008 09:48 AM

Cluster accounting failed at 135593 (0x211a9): missing cluster in $Bitmap

Without really knowing what I was doing, I opened up command prompt and tried what you said. What does this mean?

C:Documents and SettingsChristopher L>chkntfs C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
C: is not dirty.

C:Documents and SettingsChristopher L>

On Jan 1, 2008 12:10 AM, Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire@gmail.com> wrote:

Is that included in Windows, or is it Linux software?

On 12/31/07, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb@gmail.com

Kent Paul Dolan 01-01-2008 10:39 AM

Cluster accounting failed at 135593 (0x211a9): missing cluster in $Bitmap

> Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 04:48:40 -0600
> From: "Christopher Lemire" <christopher.lemire@gmail.com>

> Without really knowing what I was doing, I opened
> up command prompt and tried what you said. What
> does this mean?

> C:Documents and SettingsChristopher L>chkntfs C:
> The type of the file system is NTFS.
> C: is not dirty.

1) that it didn't do anything useful
2) that your file system was the one you expected
3) that your file system hasn't been written to
since you rebooted/since the last purge of memory
buffers for the disk to the disk.
4) that doesn't help, though, since your file system
is broken at reboot already, and is causing you
crashes.

Using MS-Windows, look at the output of "chkdsk /?"
and you'll see a list of optional flags for running
chkdsk. What you probably want to do is a "chkdsk /F
/R /X"; however, the OS will probably stop you from
doing that, because it is using the disk drive at
the time, and it can't _check_ the disk when dozens
of processes are busily _writing to_ the disk.

What chkdsk does for me when I run it in that
situaiton is then to ask me if I want to set a
"chkdsk /F" to run _at the next reboot_. If I say
yes, and then reboot, a long, long check and fix
runs (in my case, about 90 minutes for a 160G laptop
hard drive).

This run has the nasty misfeature that it writes its
intermediate output on the screen, usually after
you've long gotten bored and walked away, and then
erases it at the end of the chkdsk run, before you
can return to see it.

When the chkdsk run is complete, it is then a good
idea to reboot one more time, to get the in-memory
maps of what parts of the disk are in use rebuilt.

At that point you should be back to the status quo
ante your mishap, except you'll probably have lost
the one 64Kbyte or so image file.

The usual _cause_ of such a problem in the first
place is shutting down the computer from either OS
forcefully, or by a hard crash, without giving the
system time to "flush buffers" to bring the hard
drive back to a consistent state, so do everything
you can to avoid such forceful shutdowns.

HTH

xanthian.