Old 03-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Kipton Moravec

Default Backup paths to the internet.

I am planning to use a computer as a gateway/firewall running Ubuntu (or
another version of Linux).

What is the utility, or service, I need to allow different paths to the
Internet through this gateway?

For example, the primary path to the Internet is through eth0 the first
Ethernet card in the computer. However if that gateway is down, then I
want it to use a second path (or a third if #2 is down also). I can make
it another card (eth1), or another IP address on the first card. Finally
if all else fails, I would want it to dial up (or use a serial port) to
establish a slow but functioning connection.

When the first path is active again it goes back to the original
configuration.

I want this to happen at the gateway computer, so the users do not see
anything, except for a reduction in performance if I go to a slower
connection.

What is this called, and what do I have to read up on?
It is more than just IP Tables right?

Kip
--

Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...
Four Way Test

Old 03-09-2009, 02:18 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Kipton Moravec wrote:
> I am planning to use a computer as a gateway/firewall running Ubuntu (or
> another version of Linux).
>
> What is the utility, or service, I need to allow different paths to the
> Internet through this gateway?
>
> For example, the primary path to the Internet is through eth0 the first
> Ethernet card in the computer. However if that gateway is down, then I
> want it to use a second path (or a third if #2 is down also). I can make
> it another card (eth1), or another IP address on the first card. Finally
> if all else fails, I would want it to dial up (or use a serial port) to
> establish a slow but functioning connection.
>
> When the first path is active again it goes back to the original
> configuration.
>
> I want this to happen at the gateway computer, so the users do not see
> anything, except for a reduction in performance if I go to a slower
> connection.
>
> What is this called, and what do I have to read up on?
> It is more than just IP Tables right?
>
> Kip
I would advise to use the LEAF firewall
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/

This a standalone distribution and very small. It fits (if you want it
lean) even on a floppy disk but there are distributions for using it
from an CD, USB-stick, etc.
The firewall software is shorewall and it is a real hardware firewall
using 2 ethernet cards and not the pseudo-firewalls as offered for
Windows. I use it for > 8 years and the only time I realise it's there
when we have had a power outage.
Success
Joep

Old 03-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Brian McKee

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Kipton Moravec <kip@kdream.com> wrote:
> I am planning to use a computer as a gateway/firewall running Ubuntu (or
> another version of Linux).
>
> What is the utility, or service, I need to allow different paths to the
> Internet through this gateway?

Assuming your ISP doesn't support you doing this directly (via BGP or similar)
http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html

Old 03-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Kipton Moravec

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 16:18 +0100, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> Kipton Moravec wrote:
> > I am planning to use a computer as a gateway/firewall running Ubuntu (or
> > another version of Linux).
> >
> > What is the utility, or service, I need to allow different paths to the
> > Internet through this gateway?
> >
> > For example, the primary path to the Internet is through eth0 the first
> > Ethernet card in the computer. However if that gateway is down, then I
> > want it to use a second path (or a third if #2 is down also). I can make
> > it another card (eth1), or another IP address on the first card. Finally
> > if all else fails, I would want it to dial up (or use a serial port) to
> > establish a slow but functioning connection.
> >
> > When the first path is active again it goes back to the original
> > configuration.
> >
> > I want this to happen at the gateway computer, so the users do not see
> > anything, except for a reduction in performance if I go to a slower
> > connection.
> >
> > What is this called, and what do I have to read up on?
> > It is more than just IP Tables right?
> >
> > Kip
> I would advise to use the LEAF firewall
> http://leaf.sourceforge.net/
>
> This a standalone distribution and very small. It fits (if you want it
> lean) even on a floppy disk but there are distributions for using it
> from an CD, USB-stick, etc.
> The firewall software is shorewall and it is a real hardware firewall
> using 2 ethernet cards and not the pseudo-firewalls as offered for
> Windows. I use it for > 8 years and the only time I realise it's there
> when we have had a power outage.
> Success
> Joep

I just looked at the Documentation.
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/doc/binstall.html

Last update 11 May 2003?

Can't you recommend something more current?

Kip

Old 03-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Victor Padro

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Kipton Moravec <kip@kdream.com> wrote:

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 16:18 +0100, Joep L. Blom wrote:

> Kipton Moravec wrote:

> > I am planning to use a computer as a gateway/firewall running Ubuntu (or

> > another version of Linux).

> > What is the utility, or service, I need to allow different paths to the

> > Internet through this gateway?

> > For example, the primary path to the Internet is through eth0 the first

> > Ethernet card in the computer. *However if that gateway is down, then I

> > want it to use a second path (or a third if #2 is down also). I can make

> > it another card (eth1), or another IP address on the first card. Finally

> > if all else fails, I would want it to dial up (or use a serial port) to

> > establish a slow but functioning connection.

> > When the first path is active again it goes back to the original

> > configuration.

> > I want this to happen at the gateway computer, so the users do not see

> > anything, except for a reduction in performance if I go to a slower

> > connection.

> > What is this called, and what do I have to read up on?

> > It is more than just IP Tables right?

> > Kip

> I would advise to use the LEAF firewall

> http://leaf.sourceforge.net/

> This a standalone distribution and very small. It fits (if you want it

> lean) even on a floppy disk but there are distributions for using it

> from an CD, USB-stick, etc.

> The firewall software is shorewall and it is a real hardware firewall

> using 2 ethernet cards and not the pseudo-firewalls as offered for

> Windows. I use it for > 8 years and the only time I realise it's there

> when we have had a power outage.

> Success

> Joep

I just looked at the Documentation.

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/doc/binstall.html

Last update 11 May 2003?

Can't you recommend something more current?

Kip

--

Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...

Four Way Test

Is it the Truth?

Is it Fair to all concerned?

Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?

Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

- Herbert J Taylor (1932)

I don't want to initiate any discussion, but the best firewall/router option you may have is Pfsense.
http://www.pfsense.org
It allows you to use Multi-WAN with inbound/outbound load balancing and failover.

Cheers.

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 03-09-2009, 07:00 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Kipton Moravec wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 16:18 +0100, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> Kipton Moravec wrote:
>>> I am planning to use a computer as a gateway/firewall running Ubuntu (or
>>> another version of Linux).
>>>
>>> What is the utility, or service, I need to allow different paths to the
>>> Internet through this gateway?
>>>
>>> For example, the primary path to the Internet is through eth0 the first
>>> Ethernet card in the computer. However if that gateway is down, then I
>>> want it to use a second path (or a third if #2 is down also). I can make
>>> it another card (eth1), or another IP address on the first card. Finally
>>> if all else fails, I would want it to dial up (or use a serial port) to
>>> establish a slow but functioning connection.
>>>
>>> When the first path is active again it goes back to the original
>>> configuration.
>>>
>>> I want this to happen at the gateway computer, so the users do not see
>>> anything, except for a reduction in performance if I go to a slower
>>> connection.
>>>
>>> What is this called, and what do I have to read up on?
>>> It is more than just IP Tables right?
>>>
>>> Kip
>> I would advise to use the LEAF firewall
>> http://leaf.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> This a standalone distribution and very small. It fits (if you want it
>> lean) even on a floppy disk but there are distributions for using it
>> from an CD, USB-stick, etc.
>> The firewall software is shorewall and it is a real hardware firewall
>> using 2 ethernet cards and not the pseudo-firewalls as offered for
>> Windows. I use it for > 8 years and the only time I realise it's there
>> when we have had a power outage.
>> Success
>> Joep
>>

> I just looked at the Documentation.
> http://leaf.sourceforge.net/doc/binstall.html
>
> Last update 11 May 2003?
>
> Can't you recommend something more current?
>
> Kip

Sorry, a small misunderstanding. The Bering Leaf-version came to an end
in 2003 due to the fact that a new library gave better -and faster results.
The current versions are called Bering uclibc.
Go to the home-page http://leaf.sourceforge.net/ and then to the tap
Bering uClibc.
The latest version is Bering-uClibc 3.1.1 (2009-02-14).
The firewall is based on kernel versions 2.4..
A 3.6 branch is available but that is a resource hog so I advise to use
the current version.
The documentation is fine and why change the date when everything else
remains the same?
Joep

Old 03-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Derek Broughton

Victor Padro wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Kipton Moravec <kip@kdream.com> wrote:

>> (or

>> > I would advise to use the LEAF firewall
>> > http://leaf.sourceforge.net/
>> >

> I don't want to initiate any discussion,

Are you sure that's what you mean? That's what the list is for - to
discuss!

> but the best firewall/router option you may have is Pfsense.

I have no idea about Pfsense, and have never seen it mentioned - which is a
good enough reason for a happy user to mention it, imo!
--
derek

Old 03-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Victor Padro

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

Victor Padro wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Kipton Moravec <kip@kdream.com> wrote:

>> (or

>> > I would advise to use the LEAF firewall

>> > http://leaf.sourceforge.net/

> I don't want to initiate any discussion,

Are you sure that's what you mean? *That's what the list is for - to

discuss!

Believe me on another distro list I am currently active this would have started a bad discussion - example:
Why it's better FreeBSD over Linux, you can easily do this using iptables, ufw, please don't do that, etc.

Discussion here it's different, it's kinda more appropiate, but sometimes gets out of the nice techie discussion and goes to more personal issues and blogging my techie life.

> but the best firewall/router option you may have is Pfsense.

I have no idea about Pfsense, and have never seen it mentioned - which is a

good enough reason for a happy user to mention it, imo!

--
It's a good option believe me, even enterprises use it as a failover-firewall/router

derek

cheers,

Victor.

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 03-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Derek Broughton

Victor Padro wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Derek Broughton
> <derek@pointerstop.ca>wrote:

>> > I don't want to initiate any discussion,
>>
>> Are you sure that's what you mean? That's what the list is for - to
>> discuss!
>>
> Believe me on another distro list I am currently active this would have
> started a bad discussion -

Oh, I'm sure. But since the OP asked :-)

>> I have no idea about Pfsense, and have never seen it mentioned - which is
>> a good enough reason for a happy user to mention it, imo!
>
> It's a good option believe me, even enterprises use it as a
> failover-firewall/router

It's always good to hear about more options.
--
derek