Old 03-08-2009, 08:08 PM
"Jonathan Harrison"

Default Help! Installing 8.10 on Server - errors!!!!

Title: Help! Installing 8.10 on Server - errors!!!!

Dear esteemed

I am not a techie, so please bear with me.

I have a spare PC on our LAN that we use to centrally store files.¬* I have upgraded it to AMD 64 Dual Core, 4 x 1Gig RAM, and stuff.¬* Been using Vista 64b Home Premium.

I have decided to build a IPT (PBX) for the home and my office use, using the PC as a Server.¬* The system I want to try out is Unison‚Äôs.¬* This requires ubuntu as the Server OS.¬* I have downloaded the 64b version on to another PC, burnt it to CD using InfraRecorder (the recommended).¬* I have taken out the Hard Drive with the MS Vista OS and installed another which I have half formatted to create 1 partition and have only this HD and the CDRO drive installed on my machine.¬* Upon booting up it requests a boot from CD, which I do.¬* Asks for language, then presents a menu.¬* I have tried clicking F3 for change of keyboard (UK English) and also not doing so and just pressing the Install Ubuntu SW....¬* It starts alright and then says: I need to ENABLE IOMMU in BIOS settings.¬* I do not know what this is, but I have been in BIOS 3 times now looking for it and not found it.¬* I have enabled virtually everything, but bar pulling out more hair has had no effect....¬* I am currently running a memory test (nothing better to do).

Anyone help me.¬* I need to get this up and running tonight or my wife will make my life not worth living tomorrow!

PS:¬* The data and backups are safe as they are on two other drives I have removed.

Regards

Jonathan

.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Jonathan Harrison
<jonathan-harrison@tiscali.it> wrote:
> Dear esteemed
>
> I am not a techie, so please bear with me.
>
> I have a spare PC on our LAN that we use to centrally store files.¬* I have
> upgraded it to AMD 64 Dual Core, 4 x 1Gig RAM, and stuff.¬* Been using Vista
> 64b Home Premium.
>
> I have decided to build a IPT (PBX) for the home and my office use, using
> the PC as a Server.¬* The system I want to try out is Unison‚Äôs.¬* This
> requires ubuntu as the Server OS.¬* I have downloaded the 64b version on to
> another PC, burnt it to CD using InfraRecorder (the recommended).¬* I have
> taken out the Hard Drive with the MS Vista OS and installed another which I
> have half formatted to create 1 partition and have only this HD and the CDRO
> drive installed on my machine.¬* Upon booting up it requests a boot from CD,
> which I do.¬* Asks for language, then presents a menu.¬* I have tried clicking
> F3 for change of keyboard (UK English) and also not doing so and just
> pressing the Install Ubuntu SW....¬* It starts alright and then says: I need
> to ENABLE IOMMU in BIOS settings.¬* I do not know what this is, but I have
> been in BIOS 3 times now looking for it and not found it.¬* I have enabled
> virtually everything, but bar pulling out more hair has had no effect....¬* I
> am currently running a memory test (nothing better to do).

You could try to add the following parameter in kernel boot parameters
(boot screen):

iommu=noaperture

Please read this:

L.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:24 PM
"Jonathan Harrison"

Hi Lucio
Thank you. I had another expert send me some stuff just before yours
arrived. Very similar information.

It sounds simple enough, yet as I mentioned I am NOT a techie. I think I
know what a kernel is - lines of code (?). This is all very scary and new
ground for me. Could I be a pain please and ask exactly what I need to do
and how.

Apologies.

Regards
Jonathan

Old 03-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Andy Kannberg

Hi Jonathan,
¬*
When you boot from the cd, hit the esape key when you see the ubuntu logo. Then hit f6, and you will see a string of text in the bottom of your screen. There, at the end, you can add the parameter "iommu=noaperture"

If, and when the system installs, you may add the parameter also to /grub/boot/menu.lst afterwards.
¬*
Good luck !
Andy

Old 03-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Jonathan Harrison
<jonathan-harrison@tiscali.it> wrote:
> Hi Lucio
> Thank you. *I had another expert send me some stuff just before yours
> arrived. *Very similar information.
>
> It sounds simple enough, yet as I mentioned I am NOT a techie. *I think I
> know what a kernel is - lines of code (?). *This is all very scary and new
> ground for me. *Could I be a pain please and ask exactly what I need to do
> and how.

Jonathan

When you boot from the CD there is an initial screen that asks what do
you want to do.

There, you have an option to edit the command line, (I can't remember
if it is the F6 option or what, unfortunately no Live CD nearby). I'm
sure it is well explained, just take a moment to check the options.

You may find something like:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-2-generic
root=UUID=8116c71f-703c-45f2-b7cd-e4e395578ee8 ro quiet splash

just remove "quiet" and "splash" and add: iommu=noaperture at
the end of the line and see what happens.

If you are not a techie (just like me) perhaps you should take a look
at the Ubuntu Desktop instead of the Ubuntu Server (your intention, if
I understood correctly), also, you don't need to remove any other
disks from the PC if you intend to put them back later (?). And an
Ubuntu install needs at least two partitions, root (/) and /swap, if
your software do not require a lot of data in the /home partition, the
place where you would keep your personal stuff, if it were not a
server of some kind, but the install program will help you with
partitioning.

Regards,

Lucio

Old 03-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Jonathan Harrison

Hi Lucio
I had a go. After start I did load from CD. Got the menu. Pressed F6, got the text string at foot. Tried:
Delete quiet and added text below, then enter... Failed
Tried in front of quiet... Failed
Tried Esc, F6 added text failed

Anyother suggestions, please.?

*** Sent via Mobilephone***

Regards

Jonathan Harrison

Managing Director

Work: +44 (0)20 8660 6457
Mobile: +44(0)7770 740 133
Fax: +44 (0)871 264 6922
Email: jonathan-harrison@tiscali.it

Old 03-10-2009, 01:44 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 8:09 PM, Jonathan Harrison
<Jonathan-harrison@tiscali.it> wrote:
> Hi Lucio
> I had a go. After start I did load from CD. Got the menu. Pressed F6, got the text string at foot. Tried:
> Delete quiet and added text below, then enter... Failed
> Tried in front of quiet... Failed
> Tried Esc, F6 added text failed
>
> Anyother suggestions, please.?

Jonathan, while in this list, please trim and bottom post your messages.

What kind of hardware is yours? What kind of Video Board are you using? PCI-Ex?

Please check:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1018854&highlight=enable+iommu+op tion+bios

and see if something applies.

Removing the splash and quiet options only enable you to see what's
going on with the boot process, step by step, nothing to do with your
actual problem.

L.

--
Lucio M Nicolosi, Eng. - Sao Paulo - Brazil
skype: lmnicolosi1

Old 03-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Andy Kannberg

Jonathan,

Which error does the installation give when you add the parameter ?

cheers,
Andy

Old 03-10-2009, 08:03 AM
"Jonathan Harrison"

Lucio and Andy
Still no joy.

FYI

System:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2(rev. 1.0). RAM: 4 x KVR800D2N5k2/2G
Kingston. Processor: AMD64b dual core 6000+. Hard Drive: Western Digital
WD800BB 00JHCO (half formatted and partitioned). CD is Lite SHM 165P6S
MSOM. No Video cards, or any other

Objective:
Install Ubuntu Server: ubuntu-8.10-server-amd64 or 32b with a longer term
objective to progress to eMail Server, Unison voice switch and UC.

Done:
I install by CD on Boot, complete Language and reset country Keyboard, all
to UK English. Select Install Server

I then get the following message:
[ 0.004000] Aperture pointing to e820 RAM. Ignoring.
[ 0.004000] Your BIOS doesn't leave a aperture memory hole
[ 0.004000] Please enable the IOMMU option in the BIOS setup
[ 0.004000] This costs you 64MB of RAM

First line is sometimes:
[ 0.004000] Aperture more than 4G RAM. Ignoring.

BIOS settings in Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2 for Extended Memory are auto-detect
and not adjustable.

- have tried 32b version too. Tried F6 and done a gradual install. Gets to
Will not pass this point.

======= from your advise so far ========
From Ubuntu Menu screen I have also tried:
F6 and added iommu=noaperture to the end text at foot of screen, either
before, after or deleting Quiet. There is no splash.
I have also done Esc at Menu and then edited (tab) the Rescue and added
there too. Here it gets further. I get to
[ 0.3831121] bus: 02index 4 mmio: [0.ffffffffffffffff]
[ 0.3831122] NET: Registered protocol family 2
And then it stops...

I have also tried addingiommu=memaper=3 pci=nommconf (another phrase I found
on the links sent to me).

I have also written to Gigabyte and waiting for them to reply (24hrs so
far).

I have also tried their updates, but none are required.

PS. Re your question/comment: I took out the other HDs because of
capacity. I have 3 in this machine normally. 1 for OS and Aps, 1 x for the
files and 1 x for backups. I intend not to use the first (OS) as it will
not have the capacity for the 2 OS, so have used a new, spare I found in my
magic box. As I have no spare sockets to run a CD drive, I have
disconnected the ribbon and connected to the new HD (middle) and the CD
(end). I then unplugged the backup HD because the cable was in the way.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:38 AM
"Jonathan Harrison"

[ 0.3831121] bus: 02index 4 mmio: [0.ffffffffffffffff]

[ 0.3831122] NET: Registered protocol family 2

And then it stops...

*

Any chance I could call you?