Old 12-31-2007, 09:17 PM
debian

Default Problem with firefox URGENT

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 22:57 +0100, Rajat wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> In my pursuit to install the plugin to run youtube videos I ended up
> messing up firefox on my system.
>
> Now firefox doesn't start on my machine and I get the following error
> on the terminal
>
> /opt/firefox/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries:
> libstdc++.so.5:
>
> I followed the instructions from the following url
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxPlugins#head-f2cb121435f0562c0fe4cd261d4cfc1d9723ec1e
>
> Rt now i am using iceape but I need mozilla as I am more comfortable
> with that. Please help and let me know how I can reinstall firefox. I
> tried the same through the Synaptic Package Manager but was not sure
> what are the packages to be reinstalled (there are many with mozilla)
>
> Thanks
> Rajat

did you try reinstalling firefox?
--cj

Old 12-31-2007, 09:22 PM
Corey Bettenhausen

> that. Please help and let me know how I can reinstall firefox. I tried the
> same through the Synaptic Package Manager but was not sure what are the
> packages to be reinstalled (there are many with mozilla)
Don't really know about your specific error, but the package for Firefox
in Synaptic is simply called "firefox". Good luck!
-Corey

Old 12-31-2007, 09:22 PM
NoOp

On 12/31/2007 01:57 PM, Rajat wrote:

> Rt now i am using iceape but I need mozilla as I am more comfortable with
> that. Please help and let me know how I can reinstall firefox. I tried the
> same through the Synaptic Package Manager but was not sure what are the
> packages to be reinstalled (there are many with mozilla)

firefox

or from a terminal:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall firefox

BTW: iceape *is* mozilla; it's an unbranded version of SeaMonekey (see:
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/)

Old 12-31-2007, 10:25 PM
Gerald Dachs

Am Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:17:11 -0700
schrieb debian <debiani386@gmail.com>:

> > /opt/firefox/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries:
> > libstdc++.so.5:
> > cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> did you try reinstalling firefox?

And why do you think this could help? libstdc++.so.5 is not part
of the firefox package.

He has broken more than only the firefox installation. He could try
to install libstdc++5 with 'sudo apt-get install libstdc++5' again, but
as long as we don't know what he has done to break it this way, this
might be not enough.

Gerald

Old 01-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Rajat

Alright,

Here's the thing. I reinstalled firefox from the Synaptic but in vain. Every time it is being prompted to be intitated from /opt/firefox to which I do not have permissions to delete (tried out chmod but doesn't work).

Also there's conflict on the libstdc++ as when I try to install it I get the following error.

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

I tried following the instructions as per this url: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AMD64/FirefoxAndPlugins?action=""

to get my youtube woking on firefox.

Do you reckon I have any solutions at this point of time?

Thanks a lot for your help thus far,

Rajat

On Jan 1, 2008 12:25 AM, Gerald Dachs <
ubuntu@dachsweb.de

Old 01-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Frank McCormick

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 14:29:28 +0100
Rajat <a.rajat@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alright,
>
> Here's the thing. I reinstalled firefox from the Synaptic but in
> vain. Every time it is being prompted to be intitated
> from /opt/firefox to which I do not have permissions to delete (tried
> out chmod but doesn't work).
>
> Also there's conflict on the libstdc++ as when I try to install it I
> get the following error.
>
> E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource
> temporarily unavailable)
> E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is
> another process using it?

Do you install as root..that is using Sudo ?

--
Frank McCormick

Old 01-02-2008, 02:24 PM
"Pr Lidn"

Does your normal Firefox work, ie not the one you installed in /opt?

/Pr

Old 01-02-2008, 02:32 PM
"Richard"

Title: Message

Regarding the
error -
*
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock -
open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the
administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

*
This is usually
down to two download managers working at the same time.* I usually get this
when I have Synaptic running and then try to use sudo apt-get install on the
command line.* Make sure you use one download manager.
*
HTH
*
Rich

technical support,not for general discussions
Subject: Re: Problem
with firefox URGENT

[...]

wrote:

Am
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:17:11 -0700
schrieb debian <
debiani386@gmail.com>:

> > /opt/firefox/firefox-bin: error while loading shared
libraries:
> > libstdc++.so.5:
> > *cannot open

> did you try reinstalling firefox?

And why do you
think this could help? libstdc++.so.5 is not part
of the firefox
package.

He has broken more than only the firefox installation. He
could try
to install libstdc++5 with 'sudo apt-get install libstdc++5'
again, but
as long as we don't know what he has done to break it this
way, this
might be not enough.

Gerald

ubuntu-users

Old 01-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Rajat

Hi, I reckon usage of two download managers might be an issue.

But hey, one trouble led to something more fruitful I am using Epiphany and lovin it

But alas, youtube doesn't want to work on this as well.

I would be immensly greatful to you guys if u could please assist me on this,

Thanks a lot.

Rajat

Old 01-02-2008, 07:05 PM
"Pr Lidn"