Old 03-09-2009, 03:20 AM
Christopher Lemire

Default Sharing an internet connection virtually (VMWARE)

I have no internet in Linux due to my only way to get internet is
through my blackberry curve phone sharing ( I think some call this
tethering) internet to the pc. It works fine in winblows of course
with the provided winblows software, so I booted over to Linux, fired
up VMware workstation 6.5, set up the internet in it, and I have
internet in my guest os in vmware which is 32 bit xp media center. I
right clicked the connection from "network connections" and went to
share this connection. Now I'd like to share it to my host os, 64-bit
Ubuntu 8.10 in Raid 0. Do I need to be using NAT or Bridged. Please be
specific and give detailed instructions. Thank you. I've set up
internet sharing before but not virtually.

--
Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire@gmail.com>
Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0

Old 03-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Norberto Bensa

I have no internet in Linux due to my only way to get internet is

through my blackberry curve phone sharing ( I think some call this

tethering) internet to the pc. It works fine in winblows of course

with the provided winblows software, so I booted over to Linux, fired

up VMware workstation 6.5, set up the internet in it, and I have

internet in my guest os in vmware which is 32 bit xp media center. I

right clicked the connection from "network connections" and went to

share this connection. Now I'd like to share it to my host os, 64-bit

Ubuntu 8.10 in Raid 0. Do I need to be using NAT or Bridged. Please be

specific and give detailed instructions. Thank you. I've set up

internet sharing before but not virtually.

Wow. I have never tried that but you could configure vmware to use bridge. then use the windows ip as the gateway:

sudo route add default gw {windows-ip}

You'll need to configure the dns server (your windows xp AFAIK)

HTH,
Norberto