Old 03-09-2009, 12:58 AM
David Fox

Default DVD playback on AMD 64 bit system

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:
> I built a 64 bit AMD system for a friend about 18 months ago. Ended up
> installing the then current Kubuntu after the same edition of Ubuntu
> gave me too much grief getting his Brother printer going. But he has

Why is Amarok a necessity for playing DVDs?

I use Amarok as mostly default (actually Neon version) for playing
audio files, but I've never used it to play videos.

I normally use VLC, or mplayer, for playing DVDs or other video
content, and I run a 64-bit system, and have done so for almost a year
now.

> using a 32 bit system. He has 1 gig memory and will never need to
> address more than that. Sorry if i am a little vague on the details,
> the system is 12 hours or so flying time away from where I am now.

There's really no need to go 64 bit for a system that only can address
1 gig of RAM. There might be an additional performance gain though,
but that depends on what he plans on doing with it. Personally, I
prefer 64 bit installs over 32 bit ones, simply because the binaries
*can* run faster, taking advantage of the greater processing power of
the 64 vs. the 32-bit architecture, but that isn't a guarantee that
any given process will benefit. The kernel probably will, and I know
people who run 32 bit userland with a 64 bit kernel.

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:18 AM
Robert Parker

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 8:58 AM, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I built a 64 bit AMD system for a friend about 18 months ago. Ended up
>> installing the then current Kubuntu after the same edition of Ubuntu
>> gave me too much grief getting his Brother printer going. But he has
>
> Why is Amarok a necessity for playing DVDs?

That is what he has been using. It's always been a pos on any system
I've tried it on.

> I use Amarok as mostly default (actually Neon version) for playing
> audio files, but I've never used it to play videos.
>
> I normally use VLC, or mplayer, for playing DVDs or other video
> content, and I run a 64-bit system, and have done so for almost a year
> now.

VLC is what I use for video and audio but I live in the 32 bit world
so my experience is not relevant here, but yours is relevant so I will
advise the guy to go for the 64 bit version of 8.10.

Thanks for the information.

Bob Parker
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!