Old 03-08-2009, 10:15 PM
"Daevid Vincent"

Default Ubuntu 8.10 server doesn't boot into GDM / X

I installed
8.10 server, then added Gnome and all that goodness on top.
*
When I boot
however (and I swear this WAS working a week or so ago and I just did some
updates today as per the update icon arrow), XDM doesn't auto
start.
*
I have
/etc/init.d/gdm starting in 3,4,5
x11-common
in 2,3,4,5
and
xserver-wacom (i don't have a wacom anything) in 2,3,4,5
*
If I login
and "startx" it works fine but bawks about user switching or something. if I
manually just "/etc/init.d/gdm start" it fires up and works like a
champ.
*
So I'm
confused as to where the disconnect is and why it isn't' starting with the other
services?