Old 03-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Peter Hillier-Brook

Default Crashable screen saver

Could someone point me to the configuration file that points to the
current screen saver, please? I made the mistake of browsing the
available choices and discovered that the "Molecule" version crashes my
machine. That is, it locks up everything but the mouse pointer so there
is no way out short of the Big Red Button.

Even this doesn't help a lot as the screensaver preferences dialogue
starts up with "Molecule" pre-selected, thus causing a recursive lock-up :-)

I've temporarily got round the problem by renaming every file in the
system with "Molecule" in its name, which seems a fairly crude over-kill
for a simple problem.

Peter HB

Old 03-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> Could someone point me to the configuration file that points
> to the
> current screen saver, please? I made the mistake of
> browsing the
> available choices and discovered that the
> "Molecule" version crashes my
> machine. That is, it locks up everything but the mouse
> pointer so there
> is no way out short of the Big Red Button.

Have you tried "locate screensaver.conf" which shows:
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gnome-screensaver.conffiles

Cating the above gives two files in /etc that may help.
etc/xdg/menus/gnome-screensavers.menu
/etc/pam.d/gnome-screensaver

I would have tried just removing the molecule.desktop first to see if that got rid of your lockup.

> Even this doesn't help a lot as the screensaver
> preferences dialogue
> starts up with "Molecule" pre-selected, thus
> causing a recursive lock-up :-)
>
> I've temporarily got round the problem by renaming
> every file in the
> system with "Molecule" in its name, which seems a
> fairly crude over-kill
> for a simple problem.

locate molecule shows:

/usr/share/man/man6/molecule.6x.gz
/usr/share/xscreensaver/config/molecule.xml

Which may be worth looking at.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 03-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Peter Hillier-Brook

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
[cut]

> Have you tried "locate screensaver.conf" which shows:
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/gnome-screensaver.conffiles

I tried a different approach in that I used 'find' to locate any and all
*molecule* files and than renamed them with a '.old' suffix.

> Cating the above gives two files in /etc that may help.
> etc/xdg/menus/gnome-screensavers.menu /etc/pam.d/gnome-screensaver

I'll look at those out of interest; thanks for the hint.

> I would have tried just removing the molecule.desktop first to see if
> that got rid of your lockup.

Interesting. I don't recall seeing that after find, but I'll try harder. :-)

[cut]

> locate molecule shows:
>
> /usr/share/man/man6/molecule.6x.gz
> /usr/share/xscreensaver/config/molecule.xml

Yes. Another rename.

Thanks again for your help.

Peter HB

Old 03-09-2009, 02:03 AM
Fajar Priyanto

I have similar experience.
Well, the screensaver doesn't immediately crash my 8.10, but after running overnight ( I fell asleep ), in the morning when I try to use my desktop again, it prompts for passoword, entered, then nothing happens. The mouse still runs, but no menu. Only wallpaper. And the keyboard gets locked, no ALT+F1 access, etc. I have to poweroff.

Anyone as similar error? Got a workaround?
Thank you.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:06 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org> wrote:
> I have similar experience.
> Well, the screensaver doesn't immediately crash my 8.10, but after running
> overnight ( I fell asleep ), in the morning when I try to use my desktop
> again, it prompts for passoword, entered, then nothing happens. The mouse
> still runs, but no menu. Only wallpaper. And the keyboard gets locked, no
> ALT+F1 access, etc. I have to poweroff.
>
> Anyone as similar error? Got a workaround?
> Thank you.

A search for screensaver+crash at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/

returned 57 hits (open bugs), four of them tagged as "high importance".

Since Feisty, most of the time, my screensaver of choice is a blank screen.

L.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:10 AM
David Fox

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org> wrote:
> I have similar experience.
> Well, the screensaver doesn't immediately crash my 8.10, but after running
> overnight ( I fell asleep ), in the morning when I try to use my desktop

I can't nail this down to a screensaver, but it might be an
opengl+video driver issue. I have had frequent freezes just like you
describe (no keyboard, can't do anything, mouse seems to work, in some
instances can move around the screen with the mouse, but can't do
anything). In most/all cases it happened when asking the video driver
to do too much - i.e., running googleearth, which is a bit flaky on
this video hardware -- but it also happened on my laptop, which runs
prerelease Jaunty. For a while, I couldn't log into KDE with compiz
activated on the laptop, because it triggers some activity that leaves
the desktop in a state where all I can do is use the mouse to run
around on the screen, and I have to Big Red Switch (tm) the thing.

Both systems use Intel video, Q33 chipset on the desktop, running
Ubuntu 8.10; the laptop is running "Graphics Mobile Accelerator" intel
hardware, prerelease Jaunty.

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 4:10 PM, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:

> Both systems use Intel video, Q33 chipset on the desktop, running
> Ubuntu 8.10; the laptop is running "Graphics Mobile Accelerator" intel
> hardware, prerelease Jaunty.

Mine is also Intel based. I can't recall the exact type, like GM... something.
I notice though, it crashes more often if I move the mouse to
de-activate the screensaver than when I use keyboard.
It's running compiz.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 01:06:14 -0300
Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org>
> wrote:
> > I have similar experience.
> > Well, the screensaver doesn't immediately crash my 8.10, but after
> > running overnight ( I fell asleep ), in the morning when I try to
> > use my desktop again, it prompts for passoword, entered, then
> > nothing happens. The mouse still runs, but no menu. Only wallpaper.
> > And the keyboard gets locked, no ALT+F1 access, etc. I have to
> > poweroff.
> >
> > Anyone as similar error? Got a workaround?
> > Thank you.
>

> A search for screensaver+crash at:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/
>
> returned 57 hits (open bugs), four of them tagged as "high
> importance".
>
> Since Feisty, most of the time, my screensaver of choice is a blank
> screen.
>
> L.

57 hits is the reason bug triages try so hard to get more information
about bugs. Without enough information, it is impossible to even
determine if the two people have the same bug.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 03-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Brian McKee

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Peter Hillier-Brook <phb@hbsys.plus.com> wrote:
> Could someone point me to the configuration file that points to the
> current screen saver, please?

Assuming this is Gnome (not KDE or others) the setting is in the gconf registry.

try

gconftool-2 --type list --list-type string --set
/apps/gnome-screensaver/themes [screensavers-gltext]

That should set your screensaver to the gltext one.

Brian

Old 03-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Brian McKee

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Peter Hillier-Brook <phb@hbsys.plus.com> wrote:
>> Could someone point me to the configuration file that points to the
>> current screen saver, please?
>
> Assuming this is Gnome (not KDE or others) the setting is in the gconf registry.
>
> try
>
> gconftool-2 --type list --list-type string --set
> /apps/gnome-screensaver/themes [screensavers-gltext]
>
> That should set your screensaver to the gltext one.

There's a gconf GUI tool too I should mention - but I don't have an
Ubuntu box in front of me at the second.

Brian