Old 03-08-2009, 02:50 PM
David Karr

Default clamav getting uuencoded format error

I've seen some mentions of this in searching, but not really what to do about it.

My clamav scan is now pretty quiet, except for a single message:

*** LibClamAV Error: Message is not in uuencoded format

I believe there's a bug filed to resolve this, but I think a separate bug should be that it doesn't print the name of the file that it's scanning at the time.

Am I going to have to do a --verbose run to figure out what file is having a problem with this?

Old 03-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Derek Broughton

David Karr wrote:

> I've seen some mentions of this in searching, but not really what to do
> about it.
>
> My clamav scan is now pretty quiet, except for a single message:
>
> LibClamAV Error: Message is not in uuencoded format
>
> I believe there's a bug filed to resolve this, but I think a separate bug
> should be that it doesn't print the name of the file that it's scanning at
> the time.
>
> Am I going to have to do a --verbose run to figure out what file is having
> a problem with this?

No idea, but I'd just like to mention that this is my number 1 pet peeve
about programming. Please, people, if you're going to trap errors, print
ALL the data about the error. Otherwise you might as well just let the
program fail - I can debug that.
--
derek

Old 03-10-2009, 02:05 PM
David Karr

I've seen some mentions of this in searching, but not really what to do about it.

My clamav scan is now pretty quiet, except for a single message:

*** LibClamAV Error: Message is not in uuencoded format

I believe there's a bug filed to resolve this, but I think a separate bug should be that it doesn't print the name of the file that it's scanning at the time.

Am I going to have to do a --verbose run to figure out what file is having a problem with this?

If it matters, the file that is causing this is "/usr/share/doc/defoma/examples/dfsgyo5.ttc.hints".* All but one of the files in this directory begin with:

*** category truetype

*** begin ...

But this one file begins with:

*** begin ...

I'm examining how the error message could be provided with the file name, but after getting into the code, I see the method that prints that error is several layers deep, past where the filename was known.* I think there are other candidate error messages that don't have the filename in them, so it might be worth it, but it'll be a bit of a pain.