-   -   clamav getting uuencoded format error (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/259158-clamav-getting-uuencoded-format-error.html)

David Karr 03-08-2009 02:50 PM

clamav getting uuencoded format error

I've seen some mentions of this in searching, but not really what to do about it.

My clamav scan is now pretty quiet, except for a single message:

*** LibClamAV Error: Message is not in uuencoded format

I believe there's a bug filed to resolve this, but I think a separate bug should be that it doesn't print the name of the file that it's scanning at the time.

Am I going to have to do a --verbose run to figure out what file is having a problem with this?

Derek Broughton 03-08-2009 04:38 PM

David Karr wrote:

> I've seen some mentions of this in searching, but not really what to do
> about it.
>
> My clamav scan is now pretty quiet, except for a single message:
>
> LibClamAV Error: Message is not in uuencoded format
>
> I believe there's a bug filed to resolve this, but I think a separate bug
> should be that it doesn't print the name of the file that it's scanning at
> the time.
>
> Am I going to have to do a --verbose run to figure out what file is having
> a problem with this?

No idea, but I'd just like to mention that this is my number 1 pet peeve
about programming. Please, people, if you're going to trap errors, print
ALL the data about the error. Otherwise you might as well just let the
program fail - I can debug that.
--
derek

David Karr 03-10-2009 02:05 PM

clamav getting uuencoded format error

I've seen some mentions of this in searching, but not really what to do about it.

My clamav scan is now pretty quiet, except for a single message:

*** LibClamAV Error: Message is not in uuencoded format

I believe there's a bug filed to resolve this, but I think a separate bug should be that it doesn't print the name of the file that it's scanning at the time.

Am I going to have to do a --verbose run to figure out what file is having a problem with this?

If it matters, the file that is causing this is "/usr/share/doc/defoma/examples/dfsgyo5.ttc.hints".* All but one of the files in this directory begin with:

*** category truetype

*** begin ...

But this one file begins with:

*** begin ...

I'm examining how the error message could be provided with the file name, but after getting into the code, I see the method that prints that error is several layers deep, past where the filename was known.* I think there are other candidate error messages that don't have the filename in them, so it might be worth it, but it'll be a bit of a pain.