FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Robert Parker
 
Default (OT) C++ forums

I have started working my way through "Programming - Principle and
Practice" by B. Stroustrup.
So far I am impressed but am rather new to C++ so could any of you
folk advise me about a good forum for my inevitable questions?

Thanks,
Bob Parker
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Sandy Harris
 
Default (OT) C++ forums

Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:

> So far I am impressed but am rather new to C++ so could any of you
> folk advise me about a good forum for my inevitable questions?

comp.lang.c++ newsgroup
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

Much good stuff on C
http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/

Especially the Ten Commandments
http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/ten-commandments.html
which apply just as much to C++

--
Sandy Harris,
Quanzhou, Fujian, China

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Robert Parker
 
Default (OT) C++ forums

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Sandy Harris <sandyinchina@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So far I am impressed but am rather new to C++ so could any of you
>> folk advise me about a good forum for my inevitable questions?
>
> comp.lang.c++ newsgroup
> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/
>
> Much good stuff on C
> http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/
>
> Especially the Ten Commandments
> http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/ten-commandments.html
> which apply just as much to C++

Thank you. Now to do the reading.

Bob Parker

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-08-2009, 02:44 PM
"H.S."
 
Default (OT) C++ forums

Sandy Harris wrote:
> Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So far I am impressed but am rather new to C++ so could any of you
>> folk advise me about a good forum for my inevitable questions?
>
> comp.lang.c++ newsgroup
> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

Mind you, this is not for learning programming according to the C++
extremists there. The group is solely to discuss the C++ standard. If
one asks general programming questions there which deviate even slightly
from the C++ standard, he is flamed to cinders.




--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Robert Parker
 
Default (OT) C++ forums

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 10:44 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sandy Harris wrote:
>> Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So far I am impressed but am rather new to C++ so could any of you
>>> folk advise me about a good forum for my inevitable questions?
>>
>> comp.lang.c++ newsgroup
>> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/
>
> Mind you, this is not for learning programming according to the C++
> extremists there. The group is solely to discuss the C++ standard. If
> one asks general programming questions there which deviate even slightly
> from the C++ standard, he is flamed to cinders.

I've been reading from the above link and from what I read your
comment does seem to fit that scenario. So where should I go instead?

Bob Parker

--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-08-2009, 04:02 PM
"H.S."
 
Default (OT) C++ forums

Robert Parker wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 10:44 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sandy Harris wrote:
>>> Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> So far I am impressed but am rather new to C++ so could any of you
>>>> folk advise me about a good forum for my inevitable questions?
>>> comp.lang.c++ newsgroup
>>> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/
>> Mind you, this is not for learning programming according to the C++
>> extremists there. The group is solely to discuss the C++ standard. If
>> one asks general programming questions there which deviate even slightly
>> from the C++ standard, he is flamed to cinders.
>
> I've been reading from the above link and from what I read your
> comment does seem to fit that scenario. So where should I go instead?


First, it is difficult for anything to replace a good text book on
programming in C++. The one you mentioned above is a reference and might
appear to be more concise than what is comfortable at the intro level.
Try consulting other books too which are a bit more explanatory.

Remember, there are three major aspects of programming. One is thinking
about the algorithm to be implemented. The other is the actual
implementation of that using the source code. Finally, to actually
realize that program, you need to compile it and run it.

So, see if there is newsgroup specifically for learning how to program
in C++. If not, I think there is a news group for algorithms (or is it
for general programming methodology, not sure). That could be a start,
but it is likely to be a lower traffic newsgroup and may contain traffic
for various programming languages as well.

The other choice is to try a linux newsgroup where spectrum of questions
includes how to use programming tools in Linux environment, if you can
frame it nicely, otherwise they will just try to push to the C++ group
(yes, this catch-22 situation happens).

There is also a newsgroup on numerical computation where numerical
algorithms are discussed.

For compiling and running part, I would just try any Linux distro group
("How do I compile this program that I wrote? Am I missing any libraries?").

So, basically, you have to try out a few things to settle on which best
suits you.

And, finally, refer google. There is tons of information on learning C++
on the web. Many places have this info in a very elegant manner which is
more or less unlikely to be found in anybody's comments to your posts on
any newsgroups.

If I were you, I would start by searching for "how to learn C++
programming" and similar keywords in google. Read up the few web pages
to get an idea of the general methodology, refer liberally to a text
book, do examples and post specific questions on mailing lists or
newsgroups as they come along.

Good luck.
--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-08-2009, 04:32 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"
 
Default (OT) C++ forums

H.S. wrote:
> Robert Parker wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 10:44 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Sandy Harris wrote:
>>>
>>>> Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> So far I am impressed but am rather new to C++ so could any of you
>>>>> folk advise me about a good forum for my inevitable questions?
>>>>>
>>>> comp.lang.c++ newsgroup
>>>> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/
>>>>
>>> Mind you, this is not for learning programming according to the C++
>>> extremists there. The group is solely to discuss the C++ standard. If
>>> one asks general programming questions there which deviate even slightly
>>> from the C++ standard, he is flamed to cinders.
>>>
>> I've been reading from the above link and from what I read your
>> comment does seem to fit that scenario. So where should I go instead?
>>
>
>
> First, it is difficult for anything to replace a good text book on
> programming in C++. The one you mentioned above is a reference and might
> appear to be more concise than what is comfortable at the intro level.
> Try consulting other books too which are a bit more explanatory.
>
> Remember, there are three major aspects of programming. One is thinking
> about the algorithm to be implemented. The other is the actual
> implementation of that using the source code. Finally, to actually
> realize that program, you need to compile it and run it.
>
> So, see if there is newsgroup specifically for learning how to program
> in C++. If not, I think there is a news group for algorithms (or is it
> for general programming methodology, not sure). That could be a start,
> but it is likely to be a lower traffic newsgroup and may contain traffic
> for various programming languages as well.
>
> The other choice is to try a linux newsgroup where spectrum of questions
> includes how to use programming tools in Linux environment, if you can
> frame it nicely, otherwise they will just try to push to the C++ group
> (yes, this catch-22 situation happens).
>
> There is also a newsgroup on numerical computation where numerical
> algorithms are discussed.
>
> For compiling and running part, I would just try any Linux distro group
> ("How do I compile this program that I wrote? Am I missing any libraries?").
>
> So, basically, you have to try out a few things to settle on which best
> suits you.
>
> And, finally, refer google. There is tons of information on learning C++
> on the web. Many places have this info in a very elegant manner which is
> more or less unlikely to be found in anybody's comments to your posts on
> any newsgroups.
>
> If I were you, I would start by searching for "how to learn C++
> programming" and similar keywords in google. Read up the few web pages
> to get an idea of the general methodology, refer liberally to a text
> book, do examples and post specific questions on mailing lists or
> newsgroups as they come along.
>
> Good luck.
>
I suggest "C++ Programming: From Problem Analysis to Program
Design", D.S. Malik, Course Technology, Thomson Learning. 2002

This is the text used at New Mexico State University and I bought
the book and it is quite good.


Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Robert Parker
 
Default (OT) C++ forums

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:02 AM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've been reading from the above link and from what I read your
>> comment does seem to fit that scenario. So where should I go instead?
>
>
> First, it is difficult for anything to replace a good text book on
> programming in C++. The one you mentioned above is a reference and might
> appear to be more concise than what is comfortable at the intro level.
> Try consulting other books too which are a bit more explanatory.
>
Actually the book "Programming - Principles and Practice Using C++" by
Stroustrup is not a reference at all, it is an introductory course in
programming using C++.
The reference book you may have been thinking about is "The C++
Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup". I did have a copy of that
many years ago, long before the STL was at all usable or maybe even in
existence. All that book did at the time was persuade me to stick to
C. But things have moved on since then.

What I am looking for is some online group where I can kick ideas
around and exchange with others. My situation is that as a retiree in
Chiang Mai Thailand I have no one around to interact with on
programming topics so I am looking to do that online. With an emphasis
on C++ and the use of libraries such as STL and others which might be
useful.

Thanks for the tips below.
<snipped>
Bob Parker
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-09-2009, 03:11 AM
"H.S."
 
Default (OT) C++ forums

Robert Parker wrote:
> Actually the book "Programming - Principles and Practice Using C++" by
> Stroustrup is not a reference at all, it is an introductory course in
> programming using C++.
> The reference book you may have been thinking about is "The C++
> Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup". I did have a copy of that

Ah, yes. Thanks for the correction.

> many years ago, long before the STL was at all usable or maybe even in
> existence. All that book did at the time was persuade me to stick to
> C. But things have moved on since then.
>
> What I am looking for is some online group where I can kick ideas
> around and exchange with others. My situation is that as a retiree in
> Chiang Mai Thailand I have no one around to interact with on
> programming topics so I am looking to do that online. With an emphasis
> on C++ and the use of libraries such as STL and others which might be
> useful.

What you could do is just go ahead and post in comp.lang.c++ (I wonder
if they discuss only the standard, then what is comp.std.c++ for?). Just
show some tough skin if you get flamed from some topic nazis there. In
my experience, if you do not discuss compilation issues and non-standard
C++ implementation issues, you should be able to get some nice feedback
regarding C++ programming that is C++ standard complaint. If things get
ugly, just ignore the screaming, mention an apology and just go on to
your next post. In short, ask away while being aware of what to expect
... and show some thick skin

Discussing STL, by definition, should be on topic on that group.

Regarding compilation issues (trouble compiling, not sure about g++
compiler and linker, not finding libraries), you can post that there or
in a Linux general newsgroup.

This above strategy is the best one I have come up with in the last some
years. I will be glad if this helps you.

Regards.



--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Matthew Flaschen
 
Default (OT) C++ forums

H.S. wrote:
> Regarding compilation issues (trouble compiling, not sure about g++
> compiler and linker, not finding libraries), you can post that there or
> in a Linux general newsgroup.

Or perhaps gnu.g++.help

Matt Flaschen

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:16 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org