Old 12-31-2007, 07:31 PM
Eric Krause

Default USB Question

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the following. I am
trying to connect my Garmin forerunner and PDA to my Ubuntu box via a
Belkin F5U409 USB-Serial cable.

I have looked around and the best that I saw was source code for a
driver called mct_u232.c.
(http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.4/0-test12/drivers/usb/serial/mct_u232.c)

I am fairly new to Ubuntu and don't know where to begin with that.

Thanks!
Eric

Old 12-31-2007, 08:47 PM
debian

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 15:31 -0500, Eric Krause wrote:
> Hello all,
> I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the following. I am
> trying to connect my Garmin forerunner and PDA to my Ubuntu box via a
> Belkin F5U409 USB-Serial cable.
>
> I have looked around and the best that I saw was source code for a
> driver called mct_u232.c.
> (http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.4/0-test12/drivers/usb/serial/mct_u232.c)
>
> I am fairly new to Ubuntu and don't know where to begin with that.
>
> Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> Eric

well first, you need to compile it.

to do that, open the console and type:
sudo apt-get install build-essential (incase you dont have the
required programs to build it)

then type: gcc mct_u232.c

if all goes well, you should have a file like mct_u232.o. this is your
compiled file.

idk how you install it (the site didnt provide any direction on that).

--cj

Old 12-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Corey Bettenhausen

Eric Krause wrote:
> Hello all,
> I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the following. I am
> trying to connect my Garmin forerunner and PDA to my Ubuntu box via a
> Belkin F5U409 USB-Serial cable.
>
> I have looked around and the best that I saw was source code for a
> driver called mct_u232.c.
> (http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.4/0-test12/drivers/usb/serial/mct_u232.c)
>
> I am fairly new to Ubuntu and don't know where to begin with that.
>
> Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Just a quick check, have you tried plugging the device in? It may just
work as the driver you linked to should already be on your system, no
compilation required. After you plug it in, go to System -> Preferences
-> Hardware Information and see if your device is listed there. You can
also do a "dmesg" from the terminal. You should see some lines
indicated a new USB device was found.
-Corey

Old 12-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Eric Krause

Thanks Debian! I do know how to compile, just not what to do with it
after its compiled. I've never installed a driver before.

Thanks for the reply though. It's appreciated.

-Eric

Old 12-31-2007, 10:30 PM
debian

On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 08:15 +1000, Corey Bettenhausen wrote:
> Eric Krause wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the following. I am
> > trying to connect my Garmin forerunner and PDA to my Ubuntu box via a
> > Belkin F5U409 USB-Serial cable.
> >
> > I have looked around and the best that I saw was source code for a
> > driver called mct_u232.c.
> > (http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.4/0-test12/drivers/usb/serial/mct_u232.c)
> >
> > I am fairly new to Ubuntu and don't know where to begin with that.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
> Just a quick check, have you tried plugging the device in? It may just
> work as the driver you linked to should already be on your system, no
> compilation required. After you plug it in, go to System -> Preferences
> -> Hardware Information and see if your device is listed there. You can
> also do a "dmesg" from the terminal. You should see some lines
> indicated a new USB device was found.
> -Corey

actually, if your going to use dmesg, type "dmesg | tail" instead (w/o
quotes). doing this will just display the last few lines of dmesg's
output. otherwise, youll get thousands of pages worth of output that
isnt relevant to what you are looking for

-cj

Old 12-31-2007, 10:32 PM
debian

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 17:26 -0500, Eric Krause wrote:
> Thanks Debian! I do know how to compile, just not what to do with it
> after its compiled. I've never installed a driver before.
>
> Thanks for the reply though. It's appreciated.
>
> -Eric

y/w.
Like the others have said, you could just try plugging it in and seeing
what ubu does

--cj