-   -   updating (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/258932-updating.html)

Saurabh Singh 03-08-2009 01:29 AM

updating

hello sir*
last year I have got cd ububntu 7.04which was earliar getting updated by internet but right now*it does not get updatedand no one software from the internet is being installedwhat error am I commitingplease send me solution.

steve 03-08-2009 03:01 AM

updating

Saurabh Singh wrote:
> *hello sir **
> *
> *last year I have got cd ububntu 7.04*
> *which was earliar getting updated by internet but right now *
> *it does not get updated*
> *and no one software from the internet is being installed*
> *what error am I commiting*
> *please send me solution.*

7.04 is no longer supported.

sudo update-manager -d

in a terminal to upgrade

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

~ Netiquette ~
http://www.writerswrite.com/journal/dec99/pirillo1.htm

Lucio M Nicolosi 03-08-2009 03:05 AM

updating

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Saurabh Singh <d_8416@yahoo.com> wrote:
> hello sir
> last year I have got cd ububntu 7.04
> which was earliar getting updated by internet but right now
> it does not get updated
> and no one software from the internet is being installed
> what error am I commiting
> please send me solution.

No error, it seems.

I guess that Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty) is not supported any more, thus no
automatic updating. You should consider upgrading to (Hardy) 8.04
(Long Term Support) or (Intrepid) 8.10. You might have to download the
desired version (ISO), burn a CD, and proceed to a fresh install
(preserving or backing up your /home partition) since there's no path
available for a direct upgrade from 7.04.

Regards,

L.

steve 03-08-2009 03:16 AM

updating

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 1:01 AM, steve <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:
>
>> sudo update-manager -d
>>
>> in a terminal to upgrade
>> --
>> Steve Reilly
>
> Steve,
>
> Is this possible from 7.04?
>
> L.

never did it, but i dont see why not? probably have to take it a step
at a time, first to 7.10, then 8.04.

can anyone test this?

Lucio M Nicolosi 03-08-2009 03:25 AM

updating

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 1:16 AM, steve <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:
> Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 1:01 AM, steve <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:
>>
>>> sudo update-manager -d
>>>
>>> in a terminal to upgrade
>>> --
>>> Steve Reilly
>>
>> Steve,
>>
>> Is this possible from 7.04?
>>
>> L.
>>

> never did it, but i dont see why not? *probably have to take it a step
> at a time, first to 7.10, then 8.04.
>
> can anyone test this?
>
>> --
> Steve Reilly
>
> http://reillyblog.com

You are right, it is the recommended way,

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/UpgradeFromOldVersion

(Although I'd rather perform a fresh install.)

L.

Luke Militello 03-08-2009 03:33 AM

updating

steve wrote:
> Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 1:01 AM, steve <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:
>>
>>> sudo update-manager -d
>>>
>>> in a terminal to upgrade
>>> --
>>> Steve Reilly
>> Steve,
>>
>> Is this possible from 7.04?
>>
>> L.
>>

> never did it, but i dont see why not? probably have to take it a step
> at a time, first to 7.10, then 8.04.
>
> can anyone test this?

Yes, that is correct.

Ensure you have a complete updated Feisty (7.04) system. Then upgrade
to Gutsy (7.10):

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GutsyUpgrades

Ensure you have a complete updated Gutsy (7.10) system. Then upgrade to
Hardy (8.04) LTS:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardyUpgrades

I would recommend staying at Hardy as it is supported for 3 years
(desktop) / 5 years (server) and you can upgrade right to 10.04 LTS when
is comes along. If you want to have the latest and greatest, do the
same procedure as above, but for Intrepid.

Ensure you have a complete updated Hardy (8.04) LTS system. Then
upgrade to Intrepid (8.10):

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IntrepidUpgrades

Hope this gets you where you want to be ;)

-Luke

Shining Wisdom 03-08-2009 04:00 AM

updating

steve wrote:
> Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 1:01 AM, steve <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:
>>

>>> sudo update-manager -d
>>>
>>> in a terminal to upgrade
>>> --
>>> Steve Reilly
>>>
>> Steve,
>>
>> Is this possible from 7.04?
>>
>> L.
>>

> never did it, but i dont see why not? probably have to take it a step
> at a time, first to 7.10, then 8.04.
>
> can anyone test this?

i did this from 7.10 to 8.04 without problem

Lucio M Nicolosi 03-08-2009 04:09 AM

updating

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 1:33 AM, Luke Militello <luke@digitalenigma.net> wrote:

/snips...

> Yes, that is correct.
>
> Ensure you have a complete updated Feisty (7.04) system. *Then upgrade
> to Gutsy (7.10):
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GutsyUpgrades
>
> Ensure you have a complete updated Gutsy (7.10) system. *Then upgrade to
> Hardy (8.04) LTS:
>
> -Luke

Nevertheless there are some possible issues with upgrading from 7.04.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

"Unsupported (Obsolete) Versions

End-of-life releases have been supported previously but have reached
the end of their support cycle. It would be best for users of these
versions to perform a fresh install of the latest Ubuntu release.
Links have been removed since the upgrades between these versions are
no longer supported. However, users still trying to do an upgrade on
an experimental basis may find suggestions in:

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+question/62184

L.

Mario Vukelic 03-08-2009 08:49 AM

updating

On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 01:05 -0300, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> I guess that Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty) is not supported any more, thus no
> automatic updating. You should consider upgrading to (Hardy) 8.04
> (Long Term Support) or (Intrepid) 8.10.

This information is correct, but not complete: the only upgrade path
from 7.04 is to 7.10. Saurabh will then need to upgrade from 7.10 to
8.04 very soon, because 7.10 will itself reach end-of-life in April
2009.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

It's probably better to back up all important data to another system,
e.g., an external disk, and reinstalling a new Ubuntu.

IF Saurabh wants to perform the upgrades instead, he should first change
his software sources to http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
This ensures that the last updates that were available for 7.04 are
applied - these might be required for a successful update to 7.10.
Saurabh, ask if you don't know how to do this.

After the updates are applied and the backup done, you can run System ->
Administration -> Update Manager. Then click the "Check" Button and wait
until the option to upgrade is offered. Follow the instructions.

Then repeat the last step (Upgrade Manager) to upgrade 7.10 -> 8.04.

For what it's worth, I think that the fact that a user does not get
informed by the system about reaching end-of-life status is a serious
bug. A report is open here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/319146

terry 05-22-2010 02:29 AM

Updating

do I need pinyin engine and open phrasedb for chinese since I use
English. and how do i keep the updater from offering it.