Old 03-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Stephen

Default How Do I Edit The Boot Loader

I have used Mandrake and Red Hat linux in the past. I just installed
ubuntu 8.10 64 bit on my desktop computer.

Other people use the machine so I want Windows to be the default os to
boot. I have tried the help files and google and can't find any info on
configuring the boot loader.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Stephen Oulton

Old 03-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Stephen wrote:
> Other people use the machine so I want Windows to be the default os to
> boot. I have tried the help files and google and can't find any info on
> configuring the boot loader.

On a terminal:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Look for:

# default num
# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from
0, and
# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
#
# You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default
entry
# is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
# WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not use 'savedefault' or your
# array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
default 0

edit the default value to match your needs.

L.

--
Lucio M Nicolosi, Eng. - Sao Paulo - Brazil
skype: lmnicolosi1

Old 03-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Nolan Cooper

Nolan flopped in chair, hunched shoulders, and pecked out:
> I have used Mandrake and Red Hat linux in the past. I just installed
> ubuntu 8.10 64 bit on my desktop computer.
>
> Other people use the machine so I want Windows to be the default os to
> boot. I have tried the help files and google and can't find any info on
> configuring the boot loader.
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Stephen Oulton

This will help

http://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowTo

later
nolan

Old 03-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Stephen Constantinou

Stephen wrote:
> I have used Mandrake and Red Hat linux in the past. I just installed
> ubuntu 8.10 64 bit on my desktop computer.
>
> Other people use the machine so I want Windows to be the default os to
> boot. I have tried the help files and google and can't find any info on
> configuring the boot loader.
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Stephen Oulton

Dear Stephen

Here is a third method just to add to your options. I used it on my
Kubuntu 8.10, (32bit).

1) Click K > System > System Settings > 2nd Tab Advanced > Grub Editor >
Entries tab - select which O/S you want to boot as default
2) In addition you could look at the Options tab to change how long the
countdown is until the default O/S boots

Let us all know which one worked

Good luck

another Stephen

Old 03-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Nolan Cooper <4030man@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Nolan flopped in chair, hunched shoulders, and pecked out:
> This will help
>
> http://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowTo
>
> later
> nolan

You probably wanted to type:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto

L.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:11 AM
Stephen

Nolan Cooper wrote:

Nolan flopped in chair, hunched shoulders, and pecked out:

I have used Mandrake and Red Hat linux in the past. I just installed
ubuntu 8.10 64 bit on my desktop computer.

Other people use the machine so I want Windows to be the default os to
boot. I have tried the help files and google and can't find any info on
configuring the boot loader.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Stephen Oulton

This will help

http://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowTo

later
nolan

Thank you for your reply. I have the problem solved.

Great fully;

Stephen

*

Old 03-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Stephen

Stephen Constantinou wrote:

Stephen wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply. Lucio M Nicolosi sent me an email on how to edit
the grub boot list with sudo gedit, and the problem has been solved.

The other Stephen.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Stephen

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

Stephen wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the information it worked great. Now I don't have any
complaints about having to search a list for windoz.

Thanks;

Stephen Oulton

Old 03-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Nolan Cooper

Nolan flopped in chair, hunched shoulders, and pecked out:
> On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Nolan Cooper <4030man@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nolan flopped in chair, hunched shoulders, and pecked out:
>> This will help
>>
>> http://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowTo
>>
>> later
>> nolan
>
> You probably wanted to type:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto
>
> L.

right on.

By typing just the "http://" defaults to https:

My location bar had not changed color, so had not observed the "s".
nolan