Old 03-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Stephen Constantinou

Default lubuntu 8.1 and KDE 4.1

Dear All

I now have the above (dual booting with XP) and I am dissatisfied with
KDE. I have read a few other sources that describes the KDE task
bar/system tray as problematic.

I have been fiddling and tried unsuccessfully two simple things
1) make an application short cut in the task bar/left hand side. I can
make a widget.
2) move the task bar to vertical right side of screen

If I am not able to do these two things then KDE 4.1 is no improvement
on 3.5. I would then need to know how to use an earlier KDE and make
that the default.

Any help and advice welcome

Stephen Constantinou

Old 03-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Dotan Cohen

> I now have the above (dual booting with XP) and I am dissatisfied with
> KDE. *I have read a few other sources that describes the KDE task
> bar/system tray as problematic.
>
> I have been fiddling and tried unsuccessfully two simple things
> 1) make an application short cut in the task bar/left hand side. *I can
> make a widget.
> 2) move the task bar to vertical right side of screen
>
> If I am not able to do these two things then KDE 4.1 is no improvement
> on 3.5. *I would then need to know how to use an earlier KDE and make
> that the default.
>
> Any help and advice welcome

Stephen, KDE 4.1 was not meant to be an improvement on KDE 3.5! I is a
step in a new direction, and KDE made it clear that KDE 4.1 was not
meant for regular end users. Why did most of the major distros
(Kubuntu included) use it anyway? I really don't know.

KDE 4.2 (in Jaunty) _is_ meant for end users, and includes most of the
funtionality of KDE 3.5. A few things are missing, but not much, and
many new things have been added. I will be upgrading my users to KDE
4.2 when it becomes standard in Jaunty, in fact, we mostly skipped
over Kubuntu Intrepid.

I do not represent KDE nor Ubuntu / Canonical however as a community
member I apologize for the problems caused by including KDE4.1 in
end-user software. It was a bad decision, and many people were burned
by it.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I do not represent KDE nor Ubuntu / Canonical however as a community
> member I apologize for the problems caused by including KDE4.1 in
> end-user software. It was a bad decision, and many people were burned
> by it.

This is so true!! I got back to my good old habits and used XFCE to
allow KDE to become useable, once again. :-(

However there is hope for you and me.

Should you refer to Ubuntu 8.10, then simply upgrade your KDE to 4.21
and voil, you are there...;-)

Eberhard

Old 03-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Stephen Constantinou

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> I do not represent KDE nor Ubuntu / Canonical however as a community
>> member I apologize for the problems caused by including KDE4.1 in
>> end-user software. It was a bad decision, and many people were burned
>> by it.
>>
> This is so true!! I got back to my good old habits and used XFCE to
> allow KDE to become useable, once again. :-(
>
> However there is hope for you and me.
>
> Should you refer to Ubuntu 8.10, then simply upgrade your KDE to 4.21
> and voil, you are there...;-)
>
> Eberhard

Dear All

Thanks for that advice and I have been very active. I have read a few
forums and found out how to get KDE 4.2. I now have this - instructions
below for those interested.
This move has done me no good at all. 4.2 either cannot perform the two
simple things I wanted or it is so hidden I have not manged to find it yet.
The two things are:
1) make shortcuts in the panel (what used to be the task bar) to
applications to go next to the K
2) make the panel (what used to be the task bar) vertical left
I now have a third requirement that I cannot do
3) I cannot make a widget remain at the right far right of the panel
(what used to be the task bar)
4) I have also noticed that when applications are open they do not have
a button on the panel (what used to be the task bar)

This is beginning to feel more reminiscent of Windows where simple
functionality was removed in the name of something or other.

I explored this upgrade 8.04 to 8.10 and 4.1 to 4.2 so as to get support
for my all in one. Now I cannot make simple things happen.

Any help appreciated

frustrated of South Wales
Stephen

How to get upgrade from KDE 4.1 in place of 4.2 in Kubuntu 8.10
(http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2)
1) Remove packages for koffice and plasma
2) Start Adept Installer Add/Remove Software
3) Click Sources > Edit Software Sources. On the make sure you select
the 3rd tab-Updates make sure the Recommended and the Unsupported
options are selected. Click Close
4) Click Adept (top left) and then chose to Fetch the updated package
list. KDE 4.2 will be one of those.
5) Install this and anythiing else while you are there
6) Either log out of KDE and log back in or reboot
All done

Old 03-07-2009, 09:00 PM
"Ugly Me"

> I now have the above (dual booting with XP) and I am dissatisfied with
> KDE. I have read a few other sources that describes the KDE task
> bar/system tray as problematic.
>
> I have been fiddling and tried unsuccessfully two simple things
> 1) make an application short cut in the task bar/left hand side. I can
> make a widget.
> 2) move the task bar to vertical right side of screen
>
> If I am not able to do these two things then KDE 4.1 is no improvement
> on 3.5. I would then need to know how to use an earlier KDE and make
> that the default.
>
> Any help and advice welcome

Can't help you. But you raised one more questionn - about this latest Ubuntu
incarnation that you refer to as "lubuntu" --- what is that?
I've only been familiar with Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu and the
formerly-named Vibuntu (now Vinux).

Old 03-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Stephen Constantinou

Ugly Me wrote:
> [...]
Dear Ugly Me

It is a typing error I forgot to correct. Kubuntu.

Thanks

stephen

Old 03-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Dotan Cohen

> 1) make shortcuts in the panel (what used to be the task bar) to
> applications to go next to the K

You _can_ do this, at least you could in the KDE 4.2 betas. I will
check when I get home, the wife's machine is KDE 4.2.

> 2) make the panel (what used to be the task bar) vertical left

Also in the betas I tested this and it worked. You have to drag the
button on the _configuration_panel_ not the panel itself. It's a
severe usability issue, I will dig up the bug and post a link. Please
comment on it when I do.

> I now have a third requirement that I cannot do
> 3) I cannot make a widget remain at the right far right of the panel
> (what used to be the task bar)

This is possible, which specific widget?

> 4) I have also noticed that when applications are open they do not have
> a button on the panel (what used to be the task bar)

You can add a task bar. In fact, I suspect that the lack of a task bar
is what is causing your problem [3].

> This is beginning to feel more reminiscent of Windows where simple
> functionality was removed in the name of something or other.

In the name of progress. KDE 3.5 is still maintained, so we cannot
complain. In fact, until only last month, KDE had recommeded that end
users use only KDE 3.5.10, and now they recommend either as per the
user's taste. So nothing was removed.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com