Old 03-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Amichai Rotman

Default Reinstallation / Migration HOWTO?

Hello all,

I want to re-install my Kubuntu box. I am currently running Kubuntu Hardy (8.04.2).

I have an 80GB HDD partitioned as follows:
Filesystem*********** Size* Used Avail Use%** Mounted on

/dev/sda1************* 38G** 11G** 25G* 31%*** /
/dev/sda3************* 38G** 34G* 2.2G* 95%*** /home

As you can see, too much disk space gets wasted on the root (/) partition.

My idea was to do the following, and I'd like your input / ideas or even a pointer to a relevant guide/ HOWTO:

I'd like to re-partition the drive to make more room for my $HOME, so I thought I'd give the root (/) about 20 GB and the rest for my $HOME.
Then, I thought I'd install from a regular Ubuntu (Gnome desktop by default) and then install the 'kubuntu-desktop' package. I do not like the Gnome desktop (freedom of choice, and all that, you know...). I thought doing it this way because I felt the Kubuntu ISO is not quite stable, out of the box....

Also, I'd like to hear from any of you that may have tried to re-size a partition on a live system... I wouldn't do it, but maybe someone tried it as part of a test on a test machine.

Thanks!

.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

UIN#: 6401746

PLEASE READ: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Old 03-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Nils Kassube

Amichai Rotman wrote:
> I want to re-install my Kubuntu box. I am currently running Kubuntu
> Hardy (8.04.2).
>
> I have an 80GB HDD partitioned as follows:
>
> /dev/sda1 38G 11G 25G 31% /
> /dev/sda3 38G 34G 2.2G 95% /home
>
> As you can see, too much disk space gets wasted on the root (/)
> partition.
>
> I'd like to re-partition the drive to make more room for my $HOME, so
> I thought I'd give the root (/) about 20 GB and the rest for my
> $HOME.

Seems reasonable to me.

> Then, I thought I'd install from a regular Ubuntu (Gnome
> desktop by default) and then install the 'kubuntu-desktop' package. I
> do not like the Gnome desktop (freedom of choice, and all that, you
> know...). I thought doing it this way because I felt the Kubuntu ISO
> is not quite stable, out of the box....

Can you explain what you mean with "the Kubuntu ISO is not quite stable,
out of the box"? I haven't seen a problem with it and I have installed
several machines with the Kubuntu 8.04 and 8.04.1 ISOs. If you don't
want to have Gnome anyway, it would be a lot of work to uninstall the
GNOME packages after the installation. Another option would be a text
based installation with the Ubuntu mini image [1]. Then you can select
the packages you want to use without the intermediate step of
installing an unwanted desktop.

> Also, I'd like to hear from any of you that may have tried to re-size
> a partition on a live system... I wouldn't do it, but maybe someone
> tried it as part of a test on a test machine.

I have used gparted from a LiveCD system several times to resize ext3
partitions. I never had a problem with it but I would suggest you make
backups of your valuable data first. That's what you would have to do
anyway if you want to start from scratch. The advantage is that you
will keep your installed system like it is now but you have more free
space on /home. The disadvantage is that it takes quite some time for
gparted to resize partitions.

Nils

[1] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD>

Old 03-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Dotan Cohen

> I want to re-install my Kubuntu box. I am currently running Kubuntu Hardy
> (8.04.2).
>
> I have an 80GB HDD partitioned as follows:
> Filesystem*********** Size* Used Avail Use%** Mounted on
>
> /dev/sda1************* 38G** 11G** 25G* 31%*** /
> /dev/sda3************* 38G** 34G* 2.2G* 95%*** /home
>
> As you can see, too much disk space gets wasted on the root (/) partition.
>
> My idea was to do the following, and I'd like your input / ideas or even a
> pointer to a relevant guide/ HOWTO:
>
> I'd like to re-partition the drive to make more room for my $HOME, so I
> thought I'd give the root (/) about 20 GB and the rest for my $HOME.

Amichai, even 15 GB will more than enough. How did you get to 11 GB?!?
Are you storing a VM on the / partition? Even with my 500 GB drive on
the home system, / is in a 12 GB partition and in the four years that
I've been using that size I have never come close to filling it. Well,
once, but that was because of a rapidly filling log file and even 100
GB would have been filled quickly! And there is quite a bit of
software installed.

> Then, I thought I'd install from a regular Ubuntu (Gnome desktop by default)
> and then install the 'kubuntu-desktop' package. I do not like the Gnome
> desktop (freedom of choice, and all that, you know...). I thought doing it
> this way because I felt the Kubuntu ISO is not quite stable, out of the
> box....

Since 7.04 I have been using the Kubuntu disk instead of the Ubuntu
disk + KDE. It's fine now, in fact, it is better because the admin is
done with KDE tools and I don't have to go guessing what the Gnome
equivalents are.

> Also, I'd like to hear from any of you that may have tried to re-size a
> partition on a live system... I wouldn't do it, but maybe someone tried it
> as part of a test on a test machine.

I can loan to you a 40 GB hard drive and a UDB-IDE adaptor to put your
data on. With that you can format the whole thing and repartition as
part of the install. You might want to wait another month and do that
with Kubuntu 9.04 as it comes with KDE 4.2[.1 I think] and even the
current Alpha is wholly usable. I am excited about that release!

My number is 0547881700 you can call after מוצא שבת to arrange for me
to bring the disk to the Technion tomorrow. Of course, this is
assuming that you are the same Amichai from the Technion!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Amichai Rotman

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 14:01, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to re-install my Kubuntu box. I am currently running Kubuntu Hardy

> (8.04.2).

> I have an 80GB HDD partitioned as follows:

> Filesystem*********** Size* Used Avail Use%** Mounted on

> /dev/sda1************* 38G** 11G** 25G* 31%*** /

> /dev/sda3************* 38G** 34G* 2.2G* 95%*** /home

> As you can see, too much disk space gets wasted on the root (/) partition.

> My idea was to do the following, and I'd like your input / ideas or even a

> pointer to a relevant guide/ HOWTO:

> I'd like to re-partition the drive to make more room for my $HOME, so I

> thought I'd give the root (/) about 20 GB and the rest for my $HOME.

Amichai, even 15 GB will more than enough. How did you get to 11 GB?!?

Are you storing a VM on the / partition? Even with my 500 GB drive on

the home system, / is in a 12 GB partition and in the four years that

I've been using that size I have never come close to filling it. Well,

once, but that was because of a rapidly filling log file and even 100

GB would have been filled quickly! And there is quite a bit of

software installed.

I don't know how it filled up that much - I tend to try different apps and I don't always* get to remove them. Acording to Synaptic, I have 25557 paqckages installed...

> Then, I thought I'd install from a regular Ubuntu (Gnome desktop by default)

> and then install the 'kubuntu-desktop' package. I do not like the Gnome

> desktop (freedom of choice, and all that, you know...). I thought doing it

> this way because I felt the Kubuntu ISO is not quite stable, out of the

> box....

Since 7.04 I have been using the Kubuntu disk instead of the Ubuntu

disk + KDE. It's fine now, in fact, it is better because the admin is

done with KDE tools and I don't have to go guessing what the Gnome

equivalents are.

I wasn't planning to remove the Gnome desktop - just leave it and set KDE as default. on second thought, it seems like a dumb idea. i guess I'll use the Kubuntu 8.04.1 ISO I have.

> Also, I'd like to hear from any of you that may have tried to re-size a

> partition on a live system... I wouldn't do it, but maybe someone tried it

> as part of a test on a test machine.

I can loan to you a 40 GB hard drive and a UDB-IDE adaptor to put your

data on. With that you can format the whole thing and repartition as

part of the install. You might want to wait another month and do that

with Kubuntu 9.04 as it comes with KDE 4.2[.1 I think] and even the

current Alpha is wholly usable. I am excited about that release!
I have a spair disk and the adaptor, but I am not sure what's the best way to make sure my $HOME got mirrored entirely. I found 'mirrordir' in the repo's, so I thought I'd give it a try.

My number is 0547881700 you can call after מוצא שבת to arrange for me

to bring the disk to the Technion tomorrow. Of course, this is

assuming that you are the same Amichai from the Technion!
It does seem I'll be there tomorow (yes I am the one and the same Amichai (Pingu) from the Technion's SSDL!

I will be happy to meet you there. regardless of the HDD - we have other issues pending - but that's a story for another mailing list* or PM... ;-)

--

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com

http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Dotan Cohen

> I have a spair disk and the adaptor, but I am not sure what's the best way
> to make sure my $HOME got mirrored entirely. I found 'mirrordir' in the
> repo's, so I thought I'd give it a try.

If you want to mirror it, use rsync.

I usually just copy all the files from one drive to the other on the
cli with "cp /home/user/ /media/disk/backup/". I had used Konqueror in
the past, but sometimes Konqueror gets 'stuck'. I see no need for a
home user to do more than that. Of course, verify the transfer before
formatting!

> It does seem I'll be there tomorow (yes I am the one and the same Amichai
> (Pingu) from the Technion's SSDL!
>
> I will be happy to meet you there. regardless of the HDD - we have other
> issues pending - but that's a story for another mailing list* or PM... ;-)

I have a Chemistry exam in the morning, I should be done at noon.
Coffee in Taub?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Amichai Rotman wrote:

> > I'd like to re-partition the drive to make more room for my
> $HOME, so I
> > thought I'd give the root (/) about 20 GB and the rest for my $HOME.
>
> Amichai, even 15 GB will more than enough. How did you get to 11 GB?!?

kdirstat will show you where your / space is wasted. I would use it,
since Dotan is correct, 20GB for / ssems indeed a bit oversized to me,
at least. Surely when you are operating servers that store data
somewhere beneath /, this is a different story.

>I thought
> doing it
> > this way because I felt the Kubuntu ISO is not quite stable, out
> of the
> > box....

sorry for my wording, but this is simply nonsense. When you want to have
Kubuntu, Kubuntu is what will give you Kubuntu.;-)

> > Also, I'd like to hear from any of you that may have tried to
> re-size a
> > partition on a live system... I wouldn't do it, but maybe someone
> tried it
> > as part of a test on a test machine.

As Nils pointed out this is done troublefree with a Live-CD. Use gparted
and you can graphically change your disk sizes to what suits you best.
As always, when you are juggling with partitions, a good backup is
worthwhile. I never needed to use it, but its always good to have a
fallback option.

I am using RIP Linux (recovery is possible) or the sysrescue CD, but
just about any Live CD will do.

regards
Eberhard

Old 03-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Amichai Rotman

Thank you all.

I will rsync my files to an external drive, then delete all the partitions on the main original drive and re-partition. I still think a 20GB / (root) partition is reasonable.

.:================================================ ====:.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> I will rsync my files to an external drive, then delete all
> the partitions
> on the main original drive and re-partition. I still think
> a 20GB / (root)
> partition is reasonable.

You could easily get by with a 10 GB / partition using a separate /home & /swap partition. On my ubuntus, / is only about 6 GB in size.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 03-09-2009, 08:11 PM
NoOp

On 03/09/2009 09:30 AM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> --- On Mon, 3/9/09, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:

>> I will rsync my files to an external drive, then delete all the
>> partitions on the main original drive and re-partition. I still
>> think a 20GB / (root) partition is reasonable.
>>

> You could easily get by with a 10 GB / partition using a separate
> /home & /swap partition. On my ubuntus, / is only about 6 GB in
> size.

My / is 32.5GB & subtracting the 20.4GB for /home means that my / is
12.1GB. Mind you that I tend to install just about everything under the
sun on this system - my /usr directory is 7.1GB and my /opt directory is
2.8GB.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> On 03/09/2009 09:30 AM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> >
> > --- On Mon, 3/9/09, Amichai Rotman
> <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
>
> >> I will rsync my files to an external drive, then
> delete all the
> >> partitions on the main original drive and
> re-partition. I still
> >> think a 20GB / (root) partition is reasonable.
> >>

> > You could easily get by with a 10 GB / partition using
> a separate
> > /home & /swap partition. On my ubuntus, / is only
> about 6 GB in
> > size.
>
> My / is 32.5GB & subtracting the 20.4GB for /home means
> that my / is
> 12.1GB. Mind you that I tend to install just about
> everything under the
> sun on this system - my /usr directory is 7.1GB and my /opt
> directory is
> 2.8GB.

Sorry NoOP. I only have 1767 packages installed of 26204 listed so I guess I could fill up a lot of disc space if I had a need for it-)
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net