-   -   installing Google Earth (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/258614-installing-google-earth.html)

Nils Kassube 03-07-2009 06:22 AM

installing Google Earth

augustwess@aim.com wrote:
> I have the GoogleEarth.bin file but for the life of me can't figure
> out how to install it. I was fairly proficient in windblows, but
> recently built a linux box. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would have used the GoogleEarth package from the medibuntu repository.
That is a much cleaner way to install the package for Ubuntu. See
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu>

OTOH, if you really want to use the downloaded file, open a terminal and
use the command

sh ./GoogleEarth.bin

where I expect you have the file in your home directory. BTW: I didn't
test this, it is from memory because it is looong ago that I used the
donwload version of GE.

This would give you an installation in your home directory and not a
system wide installation, i.e. it only works for the user who installed
the program. If you have multiple users on your machine I would suggest
you use the medibuntu version and install it with your favourite
package manager after you have added the medibuntu repository.

Nils