Old 03-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Eva Torreira

Default executable file does not exist

Hallo!

I am trying to install a programm using an executable file in Ubuntu
8.04. It should work quite easily....

But when I try to execute it with "sudo ./programm name" a
received a message that says that the file does not exist. But it does! I
can see it, I can copy it into another directory...

I have tried to execute it in /usr/local and from Desktop, but the
message does not change.

I would really appreciate your help!!

Thank you

Eva

Eva Torreira

Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas (CIB-CSIC)

Ramiro de Maeztu, 9

Campus Universidad Complutense

28040 Madrid

SPAIN

e-mail: etorreira@cib.csic.es

Tel: +34-91-837 31 12 ext 4436

Fax: +-34-91-536 04 32

Group Web Site:
http://www.cib.csic.es/grupo_microscopia_electronica

Old 03-07-2009, 06:31 AM
Nils Kassube

Eva Torreira wrote:
> I am trying to install a programm using an executable file in Ubuntu
> 8.04. It should work quite easily....
> But when I try to execute it with "sudo ./programm name" a received a
> message that says that the file does not exist. But it does! I can
> see it, I can copy it into another directory...
> I have tried to execute it in /usr/local and from Desktop, but the
> message does not change.

If the program has a space in the name like you wrote in your
description the command should be

sudo "./programm name"

because otherwise the shell would try to execute "./program" with "name"
as an option.

Other than that, check the permissions that the program file is
executable.

Nils

Old 03-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 15:42 +0100, Eva Torreira wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> I am trying to install a programm using an executable file in Ubuntu
> 8.04. It should work quite easily....
> But when I try to execute it with "sudo ./programm name" a received a
> message that says that the file does not exist. But it does! I can see
> it, I can copy it into another directory...
> I have tried to execute it in /usr/local and from Desktop, but the
> message does not change.
>
> I would really appreciate your help!!

Check to be sure the file has the execute bits set. If you are getting
a message like:

sudo: unable to execute ./zzz: No such file or directory

then the file may be a script and the script interpreter is not
installed on your system. The above usually means the pathname found in
the first line of the script does not exist.

#! <pathname>

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and