Old 03-05-2009, 01:20 AM
HermanAA

Default Keyring and Evolution-POP3

Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit, default set-up.
Evolution POP3 is password-protected using 'keyring'.

I am the only user of Evolution.
Others in the house have their own Ubuntu-account (no access to my
Evolution).

I do not need keyring/password protection for the POP3 download in
Evolution.

How can I remove this extra step?
How can I de-activate keyring?

I cannot remove the keyring program. It is used for
protection/encryption elsewhere.
---

A thought:
All messages (in Evolution) are visible (not keyring-protected).
Instead of protecting only the download, it would make more sense to
(keyring-protect) all the messages (keyring-protect Evolution itself).

Herman in PHL.
--

Herman.
---

Old 03-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Brian McKee

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 9:20 PM, HermanAA <n0jnqrp@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit, default set-up.
> Evolution POP3 is password-protected using 'keyring'.
>
> I am the only user of Evolution.
> Others in the house have their own Ubuntu-account (no access to my
> Evolution).
>
> I do not need keyring/password protection for the POP3 download in
> Evolution.
>
> How can I remove this extra step?

I'm reading between the lines here, but I gather the problem is you
have to unlock the keyring every time you want to check your mail.
The easy solution is change the default login keyring to use the same
password as you log in with. Then it will unlock that keyring when
you log in, and not bother you. Use System -> Prefernces ->
Encryption and Keyrings

HTH
Brian

Old 03-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Steve Grace

On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 13:05 -0500, Brian McKee wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 9:20 PM, HermanAA <n0jnqrp@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit, default set-up.
> > Evolution POP3 is password-protected using 'keyring'.
> >
> > I am the only user of Evolution.
> > Others in the house have their own Ubuntu-account (no access to my
> > Evolution).
> >
> > I do not need keyring/password protection for the POP3 download in
> > Evolution.
> >
> > How can I remove this extra step?
>
> I'm reading between the lines here, but I gather the problem is you
> have to unlock the keyring every time you want to check your mail.
> The easy solution is change the default login keyring to use the same
> password as you log in with. Then it will unlock that keyring when
> you log in, and not bother you. Use System -> Prefernces ->
> Encryption and Keyrings

I've had this issue on Hardy if set to automatically log in. If I
disable Enable Automatic Login and there's no issue with Evolution
(although I have to enter my username and password to log in, of
course).

Old 03-07-2009, 08:00 PM
HermanAA

On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 13:05 -0500, Brian McKee wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 9:20 PM, HermanAA <n0jnqrp@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit, default set-up.
> > Evolution POP3 is password-protected using 'keyring'.
> >
> > I am the only user of Evolution.
> > Others in the house have their own Ubuntu-account (no access to my
> > Evolution).
> >
> > I do not need keyring/password protection for the POP3 download in
> > Evolution.
> >
> > How can I remove this extra step?
>
> I'm reading between the lines here, but I gather the problem is you
> have to unlock the keyring every time you want to check your mail.
> The easy solution is change the default login keyring to use the same
> password as you log in with. Then it will unlock that keyring when
> you log in, and not bother you. Use System -> Prefernces ->
> Encryption and Keyrings
>
> HTH
> Brian

Under Preferences I found 'Encryption and Keyring' but there was no
option to change the password.
(neither would I expect it there ... I would expect it under system,
requiring admin pw)

I am logged-in automatically.

> From: Steve Grace
> On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 13:05 -0500, Brian McKee wrote:
> I've had this issue on Hardy if set to automatically log in. If I
> disable Enable Automatic Login and there's no issue with Evolution
> (although I have to enter my username and password to log in, of
> course).

Indeed, I am logged-in automatically.
The password for Keyring is different from my log-in pw.

The Keyring (requiring me to type the Keyring PW) pops up after
Ubuntu-login on first-use of Evolution. Only ONCE per Ubuntu session.

I can close and restart Evolution. I am NOT asked again for the Keyring
PW.

...... no solution for the problem yet .....

Herman in PHL.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Don Raikes

I am having the same problem.

I have 2 questions:
1. how do I use the system -> prefferences -> encryption and passwords applet to fix this? I cannot get it to let me do anything in there other than check a couple of checkboxes which don't seem to do anything.

2. How do I disable my autologin feature for my account?

Old 03-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Don Raikes

Another question, I have my pop account set to remember my password, but it doesn't seem to do this for either the pop or smtp servers. Any ideas how to get this to work?

Old 03-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Steve Grace

On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 15:18 -0800, Don Raikes wrote:

> 2. How do I disable my autologin feature for my account?

System > Administration > Login Window > Security tab (in Ubuntu 8.04)

Old 03-08-2009, 07:59 PM
HermanAA

On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 15:20 -0800, Don Raikes wrote:

> Another question, I have my pop account set to remember my password,
> but it doesn't seem to do this for either the pop or smtp servers. Any
> ideas how to get this to work?

It works fine here. Using Evolution.
Are your smtp messages going out? (if not, there's the prob)

The system asks for the password first time you use the smtp.
(not in advance).
If you have 'remember password' marked, it is automatic ever
there-after. It starts again asking for the pw if there is
an smtp problem (just ignore, it will still remember the
pw next time).

Herman in PHL
--
Herman.
www.qrz.com/n0jn. Just one click to see me.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:34 PM
NoOp

On 03/07/2009 01:00 PM, HermanAA wrote:

>> From: Steve Grace
>> On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 13:05 -0500, Brian McKee wrote:
>> I've had this issue on Hardy if set to automatically log in. If I
>> disable Enable Automatic Login and there's no issue with Evolution
>> (although I have to enter my username and password to log in, of
>> course).
>
> Indeed, I am logged-in automatically.
> The password for Keyring is different from my log-in pw.
>
> The Keyring (requiring me to type the Keyring PW) pops up after
> Ubuntu-login on first-use of Evolution. Only ONCE per Ubuntu session.
>
> I can close and restart Evolution. I am NOT asked again for the Keyring
> PW.
>
> ...... no solution for the problem yet .....

I think you will find these of interest:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bug/236264
[Automatic login -- password is still asked to access Gnome keyring
(Evolution, and others, affected)]

[Evolution requires keyring after latest update]

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution