Old 03-06-2009, 09:17 PM
"Carl Friis-Hansen"

Default FireFox 3.0.7 and transparency

A few days ago I installed a new version 3.0.7 of FireFox from the Adobe
web site. I badly wanted to have a version that could deal with
transparent windows for for example swf objects. The new installation
worked a treat - lovely.

Today there was an update to version 3.0.7 from the repositories, the same
version I downloaded from Adobe. So I went to one of the other Ubuntu
computers, one that I never installed the Adobe update on, and did a
normal update. The strange thing is that this new version, which appear to
be the same version as the one from Adobe, was still not capable of making
transparent windows.

If you want to see what I mean with this transparency, please have a look at:
http://carl-fh.com/
and look at the analog clock there. The background should shine totally
through, so if the clock is black, then the transparency doesn't work. It
is an old Linux/UNIX/Mac problem, that just has been addressed by Adope,
so what is wrong with the version from the repositories?

Using Grome desktop Ubuntu 8.04
--
---------=oOOo=---------
Carl Friis-Hansen

Old 03-06-2009, 09:31 PM
John Mark Walker

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Carl Friis-Hansen
<ubuntuuser@carl-fh.com> wrote:

> If you want to see what I mean with this transparency, please have a look at:
> http://carl-fh.com/
> and look at the analog clock there. The background should shine totally
> through, so if the clock is black, then the transparency doesn't work. It
> is an old Linux/UNIX/Mac problem, that just has been addressed by Adope,
> so what is wrong with the version from the repositories?

I had no idea you could download firefox from adobe. I use the firefox
from the Ubuntu repository and can see the transparency just fine. I
notice you're using ubuntu 8.04 - could it be that the version of
flash that shipped with 8.04 is different from what ships with 8.10,
which is what I use?

In any case, I suspect the problem is with the version of flash used
by the "bad" browser.

-JM