Old 12-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Rick Barry

Default How do I mount an img (DVD image) file in ubuntu 7.10

or is my only option to burn it to disk? My search of
the Synaptic package manager did not turn anything up.
I already use Gmount for ISO files, is there an
equivalent?

Thank you and happy new year to those who mark it.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:39 PM
thomas fisher

On Monday 31 December 2007 11:28:07 Rick Barry wrote:
> or is my only option to burn it to disk? My search of
> the Synaptic package manager did not turn anything up.
> I already use Gmount for ISO files, is there an
> equivalent?
>
> Thank you and happy new year to those who mark it.
>

> __________________________________________________ _________________________
>_________ Be a better friend, newshound, and

I like K3B
Tom

Old 01-01-2008, 09:26 PM
anthony baldwin

thomas fisher wrote:
> On Monday 31 December 2007 11:28:07 Rick Barry wrote:
>
>> or is my only option to burn it to disk? My search of
>> the Synaptic package manager did not turn anything up.
>> I already use Gmount for ISO files, is there an
>> equivalent?
>>
>> Thank you and happy new year to those who mark it.
>>

>> __________________________________________________ _________________________
>> _________ Be a better friend, newshound, and
>> know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.
>> http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ
>>

> I like K3B
> Tom

K3b burns .iso to disc, but doesn't mount it.

Can't you use gmount in kde?
Or use gnome in gusty?

/tony

--
http://www.BaldwinLinguas.com
Translation & Interpreting

http://www.LinguasOS.org - Linux for Translators

Old 01-01-2008, 09:52 PM
NoOp

On 01/01/2008 02:26 PM, anthony baldwin wrote:

> K3b burns .iso to disc, but doesn't mount it.
>
> Can't you use gmount in kde?
> Or use gnome in gusty?
>
> /tony

VLC mounts & plays dvd .iso's very well.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:14 AM
MJang

On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 14:52 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 01/01/2008 02:26 PM, anthony baldwin wrote:
>
> > K3b burns .iso to disc, but doesn't mount it.
> >
> > Can't you use gmount in kde?
> > Or use gnome in gusty?
> >
> > /tony

You can do it from the command line - if the file is bigfile.iso,
and the desired mount directory is /mnt/abc

mount -o loop bigfile.iso /mnt/abc

Old 01-02-2008, 01:51 AM
NoOp

Actually NoOp wrote:

> On 01/01/2008 02:26 PM, anthony baldwin wrote:
>
>> > K3b burns .iso to disc, but doesn't mount it.
>> >
>> > Can't you use gmount in kde?
>> > Or use gnome in gusty?
>> >
>> > /tony
>> >

> VLC mounts & plays dvd .iso's very well.

:-)

Old 01-02-2008, 02:41 AM
"Keith Richie"

On Dec 31, 2007 1:28 PM, Rick Barry <existentialsailor@yahoo.com> wrote:
> or is my only option to burn it to disk? My search of
> the Synaptic package manager did not turn anything up.
> I already use Gmount for ISO files, is there an
> equivalent?
>
> Thank you and happy new year to those who mark it.

sudo mount -t udf -o loop /home/name/file.img /home/name/some/folder/to/mount/to

The -t udf is important. If it is a DVD-VIDEO .img file, it has to be udf.

You can also change it to file.img.iso and open with archive manager
and extract it.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Derek Broughton

Keith Richie wrote:

> On Dec 31, 2007 1:28 PM, Rick Barry <existentialsailor@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> or is my only option to burn it to disk? My search of
>> the Synaptic package manager did not turn anything up.
>> I already use Gmount for ISO files, is there an
>> equivalent?
>>
>> Thank you and happy new year to those who mark it.
>
> sudo mount -t udf -o loop /home/name/file.img
> /home/name/some/folder/to/mount/to
>
> The -t udf is important. If it is a DVD-VIDEO .img file, it has to be udf.

It _shouldn't_ be important. Mount is supposed to be able to figure it out.
--
derek

Old 01-02-2008, 04:06 PM
galt

Is it also possible to vcopy the Gutsy DVD on to one's hard
disk and add its path in software sources? This is just to
avoid having to insert the Gutsy DVD again and again.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Derek Broughton

galt wrote:

> Is it also possible to vcopy the Gutsy DVD on to one's hard
> disk and add its path in software sources? This is just to
> avoid having to insert the Gutsy DVD again and again.

It should be - I haven't tried it, but you use a file: uri instead of an
http: one in the sources.list. iirc, there are some restrictions with file
sources, but nothing important. In my case, I actually serve the files up
via apache (and so use an http source) so that I can update all my other
computers from a single local cache.
--
derek