Old 03-06-2009, 06:21 PM
SENTHIL KUMAR

Default Ubuntu server doubts

Dear Ubuntu Users,

i wish to change my PC as web server within a LAN. i have installed
APCHE.PHP, MYSQL,phpADMIIN etc. but how to config apche.conf etc. and
finally amke a web html page and show it to a neighbour in my office
without having to get domain name etc.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Matthew Flaschen

SENTHIL KUMAR wrote:
> Dear Ubuntu Users,
>
> i wish to change my PC as web server within a LAN. i have installed
> APCHE.PHP, MYSQL,phpADMIIN etc. but how to config apche.conf etc. and
> finally amke a web html page and show it to a neighbour in my office
> without having to get domain name etc.

Please start at
http://www.zaphu.com/2007/08/21/ubuntu-lamp-server-guide-configure-apache-mysql-and-cgi-bin/
or a similar tutorial and come back with more specific questions. It
will help to know what version of Ubuntu you are running.

Matt Flaschen

Old 03-06-2009, 06:58 PM
David Karr

*i wish to change my PC as web server within a LAN. i have installed

APCHE.PHP, MYSQL,phpADMIIN etc. but how to config apche.conf etc. and

finally amke a web html page and show it to a neighbour *in my office

without having to get domain name etc.

Assuming you're both on the same LAN, you could probably just tell them your local hostname, but you could also just use your IP address instead of the host name. For instance, at a shell prompt take the result you get from executing "hostname" and form a URL like "http://myhostnameortnumber/..." (you'll have to know what port number apache is running on).* Similarly, if you take the IP address of your box (you can get this from "ifconfig"), you can use that instead of the hostname.