Old 03-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Rob

Default Google Earth for Linux

Has anyone had any difficulty with Google Earth? I downloaded it and it
seemed to install fine (from the command line) and even installed it's
own menu list/icon in the Internet section of the Applications list but
when I click on the icon (also installed on the desktop), it "crashes".
In other words, it appears about to activate itself but then disappears
completely.

Thanks for any ideas.

Rob

Old 03-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Chris

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 14:03:10 -0500
Rob <robfleet@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Has anyone had any difficulty with Google Earth? I downloaded it and
> it seemed to install fine (from the command line) and even installed
> it's own menu list/icon in the Internet section of the Applications
> list but when I click on the icon (also installed on the desktop), it
> "crashes". In other words, it appears about to activate itself but
> then disappears completely.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> Rob

Same here. Both new and old version. That being said, if you open a
terminal, it will run from there. Odd as that is.

--
Best regards,

Chris

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

Old 03-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Chris Mohler

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Rob <robfleet@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Has anyone had any difficulty with Google Earth? *I downloaded it and it
> seemed to install fine (from the command line) and even installed it's
> own menu list/icon in the Internet section of the Applications list but
> when I click on the icon (also installed on the desktop), it "crashes".
> In other words, it appears about to activate itself but then disappears
> completely.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.

Hi Rob,

What kind of video card do you have and which driver are you using?
Do you have desktop effects enabled, and which version of GE have you
installed?

Also - what is the output of this:
glxinfo | grep -i direct

Chris

Old 03-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Denis Haskin

I've used it
successfully but I think it may have been back on Hardy or even Gutsy.*
Try running it from the command line to see what error(s) it's throwing
(you may need to go to Edit Menus if you don't know what the command is
to run it).

dwh

Old 03-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Chris Mohler

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 14:03:10 -0500
> Rob <robfleet@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone had any difficulty with Google Earth? *I downloaded it and
>> it seemed to install fine (from the command line) and even installed
>> it's own menu list/icon in the Internet section of the Applications
>> list but when I click on the icon (also installed on the desktop), it
>> "crashes". In other words, it appears about to activate itself but
>> then disappears completely.
>>
>> Thanks for any ideas.
>>
>> Rob
>>

> Same here. Both new and old version. That being said, if you open a
> terminal, it will run from there. Odd as that is.

Try moving or deleting your ~/.googleearth directory... The installer
creates a prefs file as root that can choke GE...

Chris

Old 03-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Rob

Where do you find "edit menus"?

Rob

Old 03-07-2009, 12:16 PM
singlecell

Rob wrote:
> Has anyone had any difficulty with Google Earth? I downloaded it and it
> seemed to install fine (from the command line) and even installed it's
> own menu list/icon in the Internet section of the Applications list but
> when I click on the icon (also installed on the desktop), it "crashes".
> In other words, it appears about to activate itself but then disappears
> completely.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> Rob

I recently installed GoogleEarth on Ubuntu 8.10 after googling the
errors output when running the application from the terminal window.

Unpack and install (done from directory containing downloaded installer)
chmod +x GoogleEarthLinux.bin
sudo ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin

The problem after a successful install is that google-earth comes with
it's own, impompatable, version of the libcrypto library in the install.
The solution is to remove it and replace it with a link to the library
shipped with Ubuntu.

Fix libcrypto reference:
sudo rm /opt/google-earth/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 libcrypto.so.0.9.8

After that it worked fine (for me).

Old 03-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Derek Broughton

Chris Mohler wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 14:03:10 -0500
>> Rob <robfleet@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone had any difficulty with Google Earth? *I downloaded it and
>>> it seemed to install fine (from the command line) and even installed
>>> it's own menu list/icon in the Internet section of the Applications
>>> list but when I click on the icon (also installed on the desktop), it
>>> "crashes". In other words, it appears about to activate itself but
>>> then disappears completely.
>>>
>> Same here. Both new and old version. That being said, if you open a
>> terminal, it will run from there. Odd as that is.
>
> Try moving or deleting your ~/.googleearth directory... The installer
> creates a prefs file as root that can choke GE...

And if that doesn't work, start it from the menu, then look in
~/.xsession-errors
--
derek

Old 03-07-2009, 01:13 PM
squareyes

Rob wrote:
> Where do you find "edit menus"?
>

>>> snip

Hi,
try right clicking on Applications or Places or System menus

Take Care
Winton

Old 03-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Chris Mohler

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 7:16 AM, singlecell <singlecell@tesco.net> wrote:
[...]
> The problem after a successful install is that google-earth comes with
> it's own, impompatable, version of the libcrypto library in the install.
> The solution is to remove it and replace it with a link to the library
> shipped with Ubuntu.
>
> Fix libcrypto reference:
> sudo rm /opt/google-earth/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
> sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 libcrypto.so.0.9.8

Oh yeah - I forgot about that mess. I deleted the libcrypto that
ships with GE, but did not have to make the symlink - it picks up the
system version on its own, I think.

Chris