Old 03-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Al Black

Default Screen resolution on a sony laptop.

Hi

I'm trying install 8.10 on an old sony PCG-FX 340 laptop. For the most
part the install went smoothly, and the machine is working okay.
There's a couple of things I'd like to get working, but I'll pick the
most annoying one first.

I'd like to change the screen resolution of from 800 x 600 to 1024x768.
(The screen resolution tool in the admin panel, doesn't give me the
option.)

The laptop comes with a Intel 82815 815 chipset hostbridge and memory
controller and a VGA 82815 graphics controller.

Digging around at the usual sources for help there seems to be a couple
of different isssues with Sony laptops and screen resolution, esp
revolving around the 915 chipset, which don't seem to apply here.

What looks the most promising is modifying the x configuration file
(/etc/X11/xorg.conf) as per
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1062691&highlight=sony+screen
+resolution+sony+laptop

I tried this changing the model name, and had a couple of problems.
First, cntrl/alt/backspace didn't restart x. So I rebooted and came up
with a screen that went blank at log in. I was able to recover, but
thought I'd ask here for suggestions and help before fiddling with
xorg.conf more.

Thanks
al

Old 03-07-2009, 12:52 AM
Michael Haney

This is a known problem and there's a running debate on the bug
tracking group over this. Essentially, previous versions of Ubuntu
had an option to manually configure your monitor settings in the
screen resolution app, but as of 8.10 that feature was removed and
X.org performed auto-configuration detected of your video card and
monitor at setup. When X.org cannot detect what refresh rates and
resolution modes your monitor is able to handle the software falls
back on a fail safe option which locks your resolution to 800x600.
Then the screen resolution is locked at 640x480 if you enable the
drivers of your Nvidia or ATI graphics card. There is no simple
method to change the monitor configuration after X.org as done the
auto-configuration, in fact the only method known to work isn't
something most Linux novices can do on their own easily.

Its a serious problem that sadly isn't being taken seriously, which is
an insult to all who love Ubuntu and want to see more people adopt it.
This problem is negatively impacting Ubuntu's image as a
user-friendly Linux distribution, and that is totally unacceptable.
The call to have manual monitor configuration added to the new screen
resolution app in Ubuntu is picking up steam, though. A lot of users
are very upset (pissed is more like it) that this feature was removed
and it is generally accepted that relying totally on X.org's
auto-configuration was a bad move by the development community
especially when it comes to something as vitally essential as the
display.

The ONLY easy fix I know of that MIGHT work is to install an older
version of Ubuntu, change the monitor settings manually in the screen
resolution app and make a copy of the new X.org configuration file
which is usually found at ...

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then when you install the current version as sudo overwrite the curent
xorg.conf file and reboot. The monitor settings should take and you
should be able to use the appropriate screen resolutions. if this
doesn't work and anyone knows of a better way please post it here with
detailed step-by-step instruction for us newbies. Thank you.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 03-07-2009, 02:00 AM
NoOp

On 03/06/2009 09:24 AM, Al Black wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying install 8.10 on an old sony PCG-FX 340 laptop. For the most
> part the install went smoothly, and the machine is working okay.
> There's a couple of things I'd like to get working, but I'll pick the
> most annoying one first.
>
> I'd like to change the screen resolution of from 800 x 600 to 1024x768.
> (The screen resolution tool in the admin panel, doesn't give me the
> option.)
>
> The laptop comes with a Intel 82815 815 chipset hostbridge and memory
> controller and a VGA 82815 graphics controller.
>
> Digging around at the usual sources for help there seems to be a couple
> of different isssues with Sony laptops and screen resolution, esp
> revolving around the 915 chipset, which don't seem to apply here.
>
> What looks the most promising is modifying the x configuration file
> (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) as per
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1062691&highlight=sony+screen
> +resolution+sony+laptop
>
> I tried this changing the model name, and had a couple of problems.
> First, cntrl/alt/backspace didn't restart x. So I rebooted and came up
> with a screen that went blank at log in. I was able to recover, but
> thought I'd ask here for suggestions and help before fiddling with
> xorg.conf more.

Actually you are using the 815 chipset & the driver should be
xserver-xorg-video-intel.

First try this:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel
$ sudo apt-get install grandr

Log out and log back in. From a terminal:

$ grandr

That will bring up a GUI for monitor modes w/frequency options.

If that doesn't work reboot into recovery mode and use the xfix utility,
then resume normal boot. That supposedly _should_ resolve the problem.

If not, then it may be related to this:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/288807>

There is an xorg.conf file included in that bug report that may work for
you.

Other possible info/suggestions:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/214168>

You can also file a bug:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel?field.searchtext=i815&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&f ield.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field. status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.st atus%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED& field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist =FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=& field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_ package=>

Old 03-07-2009, 03:31 AM
Knute Johnson

NoOp wrote:
> On 03/06/2009 09:24 AM, Al Black wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm trying install 8.10 on an old sony PCG-FX 340 laptop. For the most
>> part the install went smoothly, and the machine is working okay.
>> There's a couple of things I'd like to get working, but I'll pick the
>> most annoying one first.
>>
>> I'd like to change the screen resolution of from 800 x 600 to 1024x768.
>> (The screen resolution tool in the admin panel, doesn't give me the
>> option.)
>>
>> The laptop comes with a Intel 82815 815 chipset hostbridge and memory
>> controller and a VGA 82815 graphics controller.
>>
>> Digging around at the usual sources for help there seems to be a couple
>> of different isssues with Sony laptops and screen resolution, esp
>> revolving around the 915 chipset, which don't seem to apply here.
>>
>> What looks the most promising is modifying the x configuration file
>> (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) as per
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1062691&highlight=sony+screen
>> +resolution+sony+laptop
>>
>> I tried this changing the model name, and had a couple of problems.
>> First, cntrl/alt/backspace didn't restart x. So I rebooted and came up
>> with a screen that went blank at log in. I was able to recover, but
>> thought I'd ask here for suggestions and help before fiddling with
>> xorg.conf more.
>
> Actually you are using the 815 chipset & the driver should be
> xserver-xorg-video-intel.
>
> First try this:
>
> $ sudo apt-get update
> $ sudo apt-get upgrade
> $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel
> $ sudo apt-get install grandr
>
> Log out and log back in. From a terminal:
>
> $ grandr
>
> That will bring up a GUI for monitor modes w/frequency options.
>
> If that doesn't work reboot into recovery mode and use the xfix utility,
> then resume normal boot. That supposedly _should_ resolve the problem.
>
> If not, then it may be related to this:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/288807>
>
> There is an xorg.conf file included in that bug report that may work for
> you.
>
> Other possible info/suggestions:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/214168>
>
> You can also file a bug:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel?field.searchtext=i815&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&f ield.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field. status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.st atus%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED& field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist =FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=& field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_ package=>

I missed the original post and if this answer doesn't fit, kindly disregard.

I had the same problem with my old Dell laptop. Someone (sorry I can't
remember who now) suggested modifying my xorg.conf file with the following;

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
Horizsync 31.5-48.0
Vertrefresh 56.0-65.0
EndSection

and;

Section "Screen"
.... blah blah

SubSection "Display"
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

This fixed my Dell, might be worth a try. Just save a copy of your old
xorg.conf so you can go back if it is worse :-).

--

Knute Johnson

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge
to rule."

H.L. Mencken

Old 03-07-2009, 05:35 AM
Al Black

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 19:00 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 03/06/2009 09:24 AM, Al Black wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm trying install 8.10 on an old sony PCG-FX 340 laptop. For the most
> > part the install went smoothly, and the machine is working okay.
> > There's a couple of things I'd like to get working, but I'll pick the
> > most annoying one first.
> >
> > I'd like to change the screen resolution of from 800 x 600 to 1024x768.
> > (The screen resolution tool in the admin panel, doesn't give me the
> > option.)

> If not, then it may be related to this:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/288807>
>
> There is an xorg.conf file included in that bug report that may work for
> you.

Worked like a charm! Replaced the conf file, log out, then in again,
and was able to set the screen resolution correctly.

Thanks!

al