Old 03-06-2009, 01:30 PM
David Karr

Default Clamscan fails on files in /sys

I have a root cron job running clamscan, starting at "/". The first couple of times I ran it, it went fine and didn't report any issues.* The last two nights, it reported output like the following:

LibClamAV Error: Message is not in uuencoded format

WARNING: Can't open file /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/drvctl

WARNING: Can't open file /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/drvctl

LibClamAV Error: cli_readn: read error: Invalid argument

LibClamAV Error: cli_readn: read error: Invalid argument

WARNING: Can't open file /sys/devices/virtual/net/pan0/bridge/flush

WARNING: Can't open file /sys/devices/virtual/graphics/fbcon/rotate_all

From a search, I found some people who ran into similar problems, but I didn't see a resolution. Should I specifically exclude the "/sys" directory from the scan, or is there a better resolution for this?

Old 03-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Norberto Bensa

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 12:30 PM, David Karr <davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should I specifically exclude the "/sys" directory
> from the scan, or is there a better resolution for this?

exclude it. /sys is like /proc and /dev.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:15 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Norberto Bensa wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 12:30 PM, David Karr <davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Should I specifically exclude the "/sys" directory
>> from the scan, or is there a better resolution for this?
>
> exclude it. /sys is like /proc and /dev.

Yes. /sys is dynamically generated directly by the kernel. If one of
the entries is a virus the computer is a lost cause.

Matt Flaschen