FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-06-2009, 11:11 AM
norman
 
Default thumbnails

When I open a folder containing photographs I sometimes get a thumbnail
of the photograph and other times a small, blue icon. Both thumbnails
and icons may appear in the same open folder. I have tried to make sure
that it wasn't the file size by setting, in preferences, show thumbnails
only for files smaller than 100MB. I may get files larger than 10MB but
not much larger.

Could someone please explain why this should be, please? Google has not
been of help.

Norman


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-06-2009, 11:19 AM
"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)"
 
Default thumbnails

norman wrote:
> When I open a folder containing photographs I sometimes get a thumbnail
> of the photograph and other times a small, blue icon.

Got a screenshot, please?

--
Chef de projet chez Vectoris
Phone: +261 33 11 207 36
System: xUbuntu 8.10 with almost all from package install
http://www.google.com/search?q=mihamina+rakotomandimby

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-06-2009, 01:35 PM
norman
 
Default thumbnails

> > When I open a folder containing photographs I sometimes get a thumbnail
> > of the photograph and other times a small, blue icon.
>
> Got a screenshot, please?

There should be an example on www.littletank.org/screenshot

Norman



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-06-2009, 11:26 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"
 
Default thumbnails

norman <norman@littletank.org> said:
>
> > > When I open a folder containing photographs I sometimes get a
> > > thumbnail of the photograph and other times a small, blue icon.
> >
> > Got a screenshot, please?
>
> There should be an example on www.littletank.org/screenshot
>
> Norman
>
In your Nautilus try <Edit><Preferences> choose 'Preview,' and set your
size and other choices.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
"The Barsoom Project"

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-07-2009, 03:29 AM
Chris Mohler
 
Default thumbnails

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 6:11 AM, norman <norman@littletank.org> wrote:
> When I open a folder containing photographs I sometimes get a thumbnail
> of the photograph and other times a small, blue icon. Both thumbnails
> and icons may appear in the same open folder. I have tried to make sure
> that it wasn't the file size by setting, in preferences, show thumbnails
> only for files smaller than 100MB. I may get files larger than 10MB but
> not much larger.
>
> Could someone please explain why this should be, please? Google has not
> been of help.

Ah - that happens when the thumbnail command fails for some reason or
another. I've customized mine - if you open gconf-editor, what do you
have for this key?:
/desktop/gnome/thumbnailers/image@x-xcf/command

Mine is "gimp-console -i -n -f -d -s -b '(python-fu-thumbnailer
RUN-NONINTERACTIVE "%u")'"

And - it's been awhile - but I've installed the attached plugin
(~/.gimp-2.6/plug-ins/) to help nautilus out. IIRC, copied XCF files
do not get previews unless you tweak things a bit. Of course, that
behavior might have been fixed recently - I have not tested it lately.

And, if you are interested in delving into these somewhat murky
waters, you need to remove ~/.thumbnails/fail/* if you want nautilus
to try make a new thumbnail - otherwise it will ignore the file and
always give it the generic "blue icon".

HTH,
Chris
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-07-2009, 08:30 AM
norman
 
Default thumbnails

< snip >
>
> Ah - that happens when the thumbnail command fails for some reason or
> another. I've customized mine - if you open gconf-editor, what do you
> have for this key?:
> /desktop/gnome/thumbnailers/image@x-xcf/command
>
> Mine is "gimp-console -i -n -f -d -s -b '(python-fu-thumbnailer
> RUN-NONINTERACTIVE "%u")'"

I did as you suggest and the key you give is not present. Now what?
>
> And - it's been awhile - but I've installed the attached plugin
> (~/.gimp-2.6/plug-ins/) to help nautilus out. IIRC, copied XCF files
> do not get previews unless you tweak things a bit. Of course, that
> behavior might have been fixed recently - I have not tested it lately.
>
< snip >

Norman


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-07-2009, 10:49 AM
norman
 
Default thumbnails

To add further confusion to the situation if I load the file, which is
there as the generic icon, into Gimp and then try to 'save as' I am
told the file already exists. That is what I would expect but, when I
accept to overwrite the existing file the saved file now appears as an
ordinary thumbnail. As far as I am aware, nothing has been changed.

Curiouser and curiouser . . .

Norman


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Chris Mohler
 
Default thumbnails

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 5:49 AM, norman <norman@littletank.org> wrote:
> To add further confusion to the situation if I load the file, which is
> there as the *generic icon, into Gimp and then try to 'save as' I am
> told the file already exists. That is what I would expect but, when I
> accept to overwrite the existing file the saved file now appears as an
> ordinary thumbnail. As far as I am aware, nothing has been changed.
>
> Curiouser and curiouser . . .

OK - take a look at this bug I filed against GIMP:
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=551995

The gist of it is that (IMO) GIMP should create a gconf key when
installed to offer itself as a thumbnail service for XCF files. It
does not. If you create a new XCF file, a thumbnail is created. If
you just open and close an XCF file in GIMP, the thumbnail is created.
However, if you copy over a XCF file (like from a backup) no
thumbnail is created. Since I'm a graphic designer by trade, this
annoyed me quite a bit - but adding those keys via gconf (and
installing the plug-in) has worked for several months now.
Occasionally one will fail, but at least I can open a directory full
of XCF files and 99% of them will get previews.

I've also added keys to tell GIMP to thumbnail my PSD files.

HTH,
Chris

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-07-2009, 04:39 PM
norman
 
Default thumbnails

< snip >
>
> OK - take a look at this bug I filed against GIMP:
> http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=551995
>
> The gist of it is that (IMO) GIMP should create a gconf key when
> installed to offer itself as a thumbnail service for XCF files. It
> does not. If you create a new XCF file, a thumbnail is created. If
> you just open and close an XCF file in GIMP, the thumbnail is created.
> However, if you copy over a XCF file (like from a backup) no
> thumbnail is created. Since I'm a graphic designer by trade, this
> annoyed me quite a bit - but adding those keys via gconf (and
> installing the plug-in) has worked for several months now.
> Occasionally one will fail, but at least I can open a directory full
> of XCF files and 99% of them will get previews.
>
> I've also added keys to tell GIMP to thumbnail my PSD files.

I will follow your example and see if it will help me as it appears to
have helped you. Let's hope that the Gimp developers will catch up in
the not to distant future.

Norman


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-08-2009, 11:09 AM
norman
 
Default thumbnails

> < snip >
> >
> > OK - take a look at this bug I filed against GIMP:
> > http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=551995
> >

< snip >

I carried out the instructions given in the bug report the only
difference being that in order to make it happen the 2 lines needed to
be preceded by sudo. Next, I tested by copying some .xcf files to a
memory stick, and they all appeared as the generic blue icon. So, I
loaded Gimp to be sure that the plug-in was there and that it had been
activated. It was there, so I closed Gimp and again copied the files to
the memory stick and they appeared as thumbnails. The files were then
copied from the memory stick to a blank folder and, again, they appeared
as thumbnails. One interesting thing was that as the files were copied
they initially appeared as the generic blue icon and then changed to the
thumbnail.

This seems to confirm the findings reported and thank you Chris.

Norman


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:55 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org