-   -   Urgent Boot Failure (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/257992-urgent-boot-failure.html)

"Lubbers, Nicholas" 03-06-2009 04:24 AM

Urgent Boot Failure

I have LVM set up on a 8.04.2 (x64) server and I was doing a fsck on the
root volume in runlevel 1 (init 1) and the box crashed in the middle of
it. When it tries to boot now, I get dropped to a busybox prompt and get
errors "Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init". I tried booting with
a live desktop cd but it can't find the proper disk. Do I need to
install the lvm2 package in order to read this?

Christopher Chan 03-06-2009 05:23 AM

Urgent Boot Failure

Lubbers, Nicholas wrote:
> I have LVM set up on a 8.04.2 (x64) server and I was doing a fsck on the
> root volume in runlevel 1 (init 1) and the box crashed in the middle of
> it. When it tries to boot now, I get dropped to a busybox prompt and get
> errors "Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init". I tried booting with
> a live desktop cd but it can't find the proper disk. Do I need to
> install the lvm2 package in order to read this?

Yes, you need to get your LiveCD env connected to the Net and then
install the lvm2 package.

Rashkae 03-06-2009 12:53 PM

Urgent Boot Failure

Lubbers, Nicholas wrote:
> I have LVM set up on a 8.04.2 (x64) server and I was doing a fsck on the
> root volume in runlevel 1 (init 1) and the box crashed in the middle of
> it. When it tries to boot now, I get dropped to a busybox prompt and get
> errors "Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init". I tried booting with
> a live desktop cd but it can't find the proper disk. Do I need to
> install the lvm2 package in order to read this?

The box crashed in the middle of fsck? You need to start with low level
hardware diagnostics. If you care at all about the data on the those
drives, remove them from that computer to test them. If the hard drives
are failing and you still really care about the data, consider pro data
retrieval service, or, if you can risk it, pursue the suggestions you'll
find here for recovery.