Old 03-06-2009, 01:32 AM
Brian McKee

Default Mailing List FAQ - RFC

Hi All

I've been thinking lately that what this list needs is a good wiki :-)

There are a number of questions that come up over and over again, and
I think it would be helpful if we had our own 'list approved' set of
answers easily on hand.

If we built up a good enough set of FAQs, we could get the URL for the
FAQ inserted into the mailing list info so everybody would get it
periodically.

I'm not trying to duplicate the entire Ubuntu support wiki and forums
here. I'm thinking just the cream of the crop questions, and the
answers would mainly be one liner or so answers with links to the
appropriate spot in the list archives or the various spots on the net
for more info.

Don't run right over there and start putting info in just yet. First
off, please answer in this thread the following questions.

1 - am I nuts?

2 - regardless of 1, is this a sensible idea?

3 - If so, where should it be hosted? It could stay where it is for
now I suppose, but I'd rather find a good home up front if possible.

4 - Is there something more appropriate than PMWiki? I'm thinking
simple and easy here, I don't want to create a full time job for
somebody maintaining this thing.

If you're really enthusiastic you could put stuff in the wiki that's
there now, but I'm more worried about the concept then then content at
this point.
What do you think?

Brian

Old 03-06-2009, 01:52 AM
Steve Grace

On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 21:32 -0500, Brian McKee wrote:

> I've been thinking lately that what this list needs is a good wiki :-)

> Don't run right over there and start putting info in just yet. First
> off, please answer in this thread the following questions.
>
> 1 - am I nuts?

No.

> 2 - regardless of 1, is this a sensible idea?

Yes, and you've made a good start.

However, I noticed what I believe to be an error on the Multimedia page.
I believe Canonical Ltd. is headquartered in the UK, not the United
States.

Steve

Old 03-06-2009, 02:01 AM
Christopher Chan

> However, I noticed what I believe to be an error on the Multimedia page.
> I believe Canonical Ltd. is headquartered in the UK, not the United
> States.

And I thought it was in South Africa....

Old 03-06-2009, 02:41 AM
Nolan Cooper

*Nolan flopped in chair, hunched shoulders, and pecked out:

I've been thinking lately that what this list needs is a good wiki :-)

Don't run right over there and start putting info in just yet. First
off, please answer in this thread the following questions.

1 - am I nuts?

No.

2 - regardless of 1, is this a sensible idea?

Yes, and you've made a good start.

However, I noticed what I believe to be an error on the Multimedia page.
I believe Canonical Ltd. is headquartered in the UK, not the United
States.

Steve

I think your on to something good here.

nolan

Old 03-06-2009, 03:26 AM
Charlie Kravetz

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 18:52:28 -0800
Steve Grace <sgrace@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 21:32 -0500, Brian McKee wrote:
>
> > I've been thinking lately that what this list needs is a good
> > wiki :-)

> > Don't run right over there and start putting info in just yet.
> > First off, please answer in this thread the following questions.
> >
> > 1 - am I nuts?
>
> No.
>
> > 2 - regardless of 1, is this a sensible idea?
>
> Yes, and you've made a good start.
>
> However, I noticed what I believe to be an error on the Multimedia
> page. I believe Canonical Ltd. is headquartered in the UK, not the
> United States.
>
> Steve

And I thought Mark Shuttleworth's offices are on the Isle of Mann

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 03-06-2009, 03:50 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Brian McKee wrote:
> I'm not trying to duplicate the entire Ubuntu support wiki and forums
> here.

Okay, but why exactly can't the content you're envisioning be on the
Ubuntu wiki. There may be a good reason, but I don't see it yet.

Matt Flaschen