Old 03-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

Default USB card reader: "just works" or not ?

Hi,

I am going to need an internal USB card reader, to read SD cards,
something like that:

http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00072490.html

Are these kind of devices "just work", or are there some readers that
don't work on Linux ? If so, where can I find a "white list".
The problem is that there are no technical details about these products,
so it's impossible to know what chip/controller they use...

Presently I have a old (eternal not internal) card reader, which works
perfectly, but I don't if it was just good luck or not !

--
Vince

Old 03-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Dotan Cohen

> Are these kind of devices "just work", or are there some readers that
> don't work on Linux ?

These card reader generally present themselves as Mass Storage
Devices, so they generally Just Work (tm).

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Ronny Julian

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Are these kind of devices "just work", or are there some readers that
>> don't work on Linux ?
>>

> These card reader generally present themselves as Mass Storage
> Devices, so they generally Just Work (tm).

I've reloaded the OS so many times that I store all personal data on a
CF card as PRIMARY now. I found a Memorex reader at a thrift store for
a buck and I get 2GB cards for 8-10 dollars each. I have not gotten a
card over 2 gig yet but I do want to build a system one day that will be
all on a CF or SD card

Old 03-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Chris G

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 10:51:24PM +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am going to need an internal USB card reader, to read SD cards,
> something like that:
>
> http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00072490.html
>
> Are these kind of devices "just work", or are there some readers that
> don't work on Linux ? If so, where can I find a "white list".
> The problem is that there are no technical details about these products,
> so it's impossible to know what chip/controller they use...
>
> Presently I have a old (eternal not internal) card reader, which works
> perfectly, but I don't if it was just good luck or not !

My Sweex one "just works" in xubuntu 8.10.

--
Chris Green

Old 03-05-2009, 10:29 PM
"H.S."

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am going to need an internal USB card reader, to read SD cards,
> something like that:
>
> http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00072490.html
>
> Are these kind of devices "just work", or are there some readers that
> don't work on Linux ? If so, where can I find a "white list".
> The problem is that there are no technical details about these products,
> so it's impossible to know what chip/controller they use...
>
> Presently I have a old (eternal not internal) card reader, which works
> perfectly, but I don't if it was just good luck or not !
>
> --
> Vince

In my experience they just work. The only problem I have had (I have
three around) is that the older ones do not appear to support some new
format memory cards (Memory stick pro duo in my case). By older ones I
mean the card readers I bought some years ago. A card reader that I
bought around a year and a half ago reads all of them. Upon close
examination I have noticed that the newer ones specifically mentiond
Memory stick/pro duo on them. I supposed memory stick card reader slots
are not backward compatible (Sony, what a fiasco!).

Other than this, these kind of USB card readers have turned out to be
the most robust method of reading various memory cards.

ever having been read.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

Thanks for the input chaps, I shall buy one of these things soon
then ! :-)

--
Vince