Old 03-05-2009, 07:36 PM
CLIFFORD ILKAY

Default Imaging a 8.04 Server

Lubbers, Nicholas wrote:
>> I've had very good luck with clonezilla live previously but I am
> having
>> issues with it cloning this particular server (Dell T300). The server
>> currently is in production and I've made several attempts using
>> clonezilla. I cannot afford to have much more downtime and need to
> look
>> for a different imaging solution.
>
> I forgot to mention that the hardware is going to be identical to the
> source. I think the reason I chose clonezilla was because it was able to
> set up grub while restoring the image. I need to be able to restore the
> entire server to another identical T300 and have it boot with minimal
> (preferably none) additional configuration.

If they are identical, how about directing the output of "dd" to the
target server over ssh?

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis
1419-3266 Yonge St.
Toronto, ON
Canada M4N 3P6

<http://dinamis.com>
+1 416-410-3326

Old 03-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Bart Silverstrim

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> Lubbers, Nicholas wrote:
>>> I've had very good luck with clonezilla live previously but I am
>> having
>>> issues with it cloning this particular server (Dell T300). The server
>>> currently is in production and I've made several attempts using
>>> clonezilla. I cannot afford to have much more downtime and need to
>> look
>>> for a different imaging solution.
>> I forgot to mention that the hardware is going to be identical to the
>> source. I think the reason I chose clonezilla was because it was able to
>> set up grub while restoring the image. I need to be able to restore the
>> entire server to another identical T300 and have it boot with minimal
>> (preferably none) additional configuration.
>
> If they are identical, how about directing the output of "dd" to the
> target server over ssh?

There's a tutorial on network dd'ing if you search google for "dd over
netcat"

I've always used partimage to clone things and have had decent luck with
that.

Other than that maybe you could look at backup solutions where you can
backup and restore (amanda?) to the new system instead of direct imaging.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:51 PM
"Lubbers, Nicholas"

> If they are identical, how about directing the output of "dd" to the
> target server over ssh?

I know that way would be the best to get a true "identical" copy but in
our environment that will not work. Eventually if everything goes as
planned, we will have roughly 100 of these servers to put this image on
to. Anything network based is out of the question as the server is at
one of our stores at a remote site. I will need to use either a USB
drive or a NAS drive to save the image files.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:53 PM
CLIFFORD ILKAY

Lubbers, Nicholas wrote:
>> If they are identical, how about directing the output of "dd" to the
>> target server over ssh?
>
> I know that way would be the best to get a true "identical" copy but in
> our environment that will not work. Eventually if everything goes as
> planned, we will have roughly 100 of these servers to put this image on
> to. Anything network based is out of the question as the server is at
> one of our stores at a remote site. I will need to use either a USB
> drive or a NAS drive to save the image files.

I would be more inclined to do a preseed installation in that case and
do configuration management with cfengine, puppet, or bcfg2. I've found
image-based installations wanting compared to kickstart or preseed
installations.

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis
1419-3266 Yonge St.
Toronto, ON
Canada M4N 3P6

<http://dinamis.com>
+1 416-410-3326

Old 03-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Brian McKee

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Lubbers, Nicholas
<nlubbers@shopthepig.com> wrote:
> I need some quick advice for a bootable cd similar to ghost to clone an
> entire server. The disks are in raid 5 with logical partitioning set up.
> Filesystem is ext3.

Try out mondorescue. - mondorescue.org

The version in the repositories doesn't work well - get the current
(2.2.8) version from
ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/ubuntu/8.04/

Use the -S /tmp and -T /tmp to make sure it uses the right areas to
create the images.

It'll image the server while it's up, and you can test to make sure
it's a good clone.

Obviously any data that changes during the proceedure may be out of
date on the clone - but most people back up to get a solid testable
restore point with the OS etc all done, then restore the changing
data from known good backups.

Brian