Old 03-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Dave M G

Default Additional encrypted directory that requires password every time

Ubuntu,

Following instructions on the web, I created the "Private" directory on
my computer and set it to be encrypted. Seems to work fine and protects
the contents of my directory from being read by non-logged in users.

However, I have files which I would like to protect just a little
differently. With the "Private" directory, when I am logged into my
account, the files in that directory behave essentially like any files
in any other directory. That directory is opened automatically when I
log in.

What I would like to have is another, separate, directory that requires
a password to open even to me when I am logged in.

Ideally, not only could I "open" the directory with a password, I could
set it as "closed" again when I am done with the files within it.

Is such a thing possible?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

--
Dave M G

Old 03-05-2009, 05:22 PM
NoOp

On 03/05/2009 02:33 AM, Dave M G wrote:

> What I would like to have is another, separate, directory that requires
> a password to open even to me when I am logged in.
>
> Ideally, not only could I "open" the directory with a password, I could
> set it as "closed" again when I am done with the files within it.
>
> Is such a thing possible?

TrueCrypt.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Brian McKee

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 5:33 AM, Dave M G <martin@autotelic.com> wrote:
> Ubuntu,
>
> Following instructions on the web, I created the "Private" directory on
> my computer and set it to be encrypted. Seems to work fine and protects
> the contents of my directory from being read by non-logged in users.

I'm not sure what directions you followed on the web - but I'm
*guessing* that the passwords and encryptions setup is automatically
unencrypting and reencrypting that folder for you when you log in. If
you poke around in it you should be able to remove the auto feature
from that folder... or manually change the associated password and
never tell it what the password is.

I know I'm being hazy here, but I'm hoping it's a pointer in the right
direction.

Brian

Old 03-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Lou Katz

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 07:33:58PM +0900, Dave M G wrote:
> Ubuntu,
>
> Following instructions on the web, I created the "Private" directory on
> my computer and set it to be encrypted. Seems to work fine and protects
> the contents of my directory from being read by non-logged in users.
>
> However, I have files which I would like to protect just a little
> differently. With the "Private" directory, when I am logged into my
> account, the files in that directory behave essentially like any files
> in any other directory. That directory is opened automatically when I
> log in.
>
> What I would like to have is another, separate, directory that requires
> a password to open even to me when I am logged in.
>
> Ideally, not only could I "open" the directory with a password, I could
> set it as "closed" again when I am done with the files within it.
>
> Is such a thing possible?
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated.

I also use cfs (Matt Blaze's Crypto File system) besides TrueCrypt.
CFS does not require a pre-allocated space, does not allow anyone to read it
even when 'mounted' unless you are the owner and times
out and unmounts (per user set timeout), even if you are still inside it, as long as
you do not have any files open in the cfs.

It is in my synaptic set of repositories.

> Thank you.
>
> --
> Dave M G

-=[L]=-
This work was funded by The Pseudoscience Trust for the betterment of Bad
Art.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:55 AM
Dave M G

Lou, Brian, NoOp,

Thank you for the tips.

I have downloaded and looked at True Crypt, which does what I need.

I will also look into CFS. I'm not so keen on the CLI only interface,
but it sounds like it may have some advantages.

Thank you for taking the time to offer suggestions.

--
Dave M G

Old 03-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Daevid Vincent

Could you share the the URL to the instructions you followed?