Old 03-05-2009, 06:48 AM
Mario Vukelic

Default New heat grease, no help

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 18:10 -0800, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Me thinks that it would be better just to not respond to Karl L. than
> to put him down verbally. YMMV, but that is the way I feel about it
> for anybody not just Karl.

You know how often I did that.

> Do you actually know that Karl didn't google on his issue or just
> assuming he didn't.

I know that this was, yet again, one of the infamous blogging posts he
sends about his general state of mind and computing, and that it had
nothing whatsoever to do with Ubuntu.

This is IMHO ok to do once in a while, but not at Karl's frequency.
Imagine if every list user acted that way.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 18:26 -0800, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> <snip<
> I personally didn't think his post was all that bad, BTMO.

This one post, no. In total, yes

> And I have seen him criticized for something that actually worked and had tried myself.

"Wie man in den Wald ruft, so schallt es zurück"

> <snip>

agreed

> Just another viewpoint on the matter from a person who was teased
> unmercifully from the time I was 5 yrs old because of an eye imbalance
> problem. Maybe I'm just too sensitive but better that way than being
> too cold hearted.

I know how that is, but Karl was treated exceptionally well on this list
for the longest time, given the way he behaved from the start. He is
extremely rarely being teased, just told to behave, and has been for
literally years. With all due consideration for whatever condition he
has/is in, it's no surprise if other list users sometimes simply snap.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Florian Diesch

Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 09:16 -0800, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>> it was hell as at that time as newbie questions were frowned upon.
>
> *Lazy* questions are frowned upon, i.e., those who demonstrate that the
> poster thinks it's ok to waste other's time in order to save a few
> minutes of his own time by not googling.
>
> I like that this list is more forgiving, but the result is that some
> people never learn to behave correctly (viz., Karl)

Personally I usually think people trying to teach others to behave
correctly are much more annoying than people asking lazy questions.

If you don't like to read Karl's postings why don't you just killfile
him, or at least discuss the matter off list?

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 03-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Florian Diesch wrote:
> Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 09:16 -0800, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>>> it was hell as at that time as newbie questions were frowned upon.
>> *Lazy* questions are frowned upon, i.e., those who demonstrate that the
>> poster thinks it's ok to waste other's time in order to save a few
>> minutes of his own time by not googling.
>>
>> I like that this list is more forgiving, but the result is that some
>> people never learn to behave correctly (viz., Karl)
>
> Personally I usually think people trying to teach others to behave
> correctly are much more annoying than people asking lazy questions.
>
> If you don't like to read Karl's postings why don't you just killfile
> him, or at least discuss the matter off list?

Or we could send a message to the list hosting company and ask them to
shut down the list, and everyone's pet peeves with each other on the
list will go away?

Old 03-06-2009, 03:30 AM
Charlie Kravetz

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 16:05:10 +0100
Florian Diesch <diesch@spamfence.net> wrote:

> Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 09:16 -0800, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> >> it was hell as at that time as newbie questions were frowned upon.
> >
> > *Lazy* questions are frowned upon, i.e., those who demonstrate that
> > the poster thinks it's ok to waste other's time in order to save a
> > few minutes of his own time by not googling.
> >
> > I like that this list is more forgiving, but the result is that some
> > people never learn to behave correctly (viz., Karl)
>
> Personally I usually think people trying to teach others to behave
> correctly are much more annoying than people asking lazy questions.
>
> If you don't like to read Karl's postings why don't you just killfile
> him, or at least discuss the matter off list?
>

> Florian

Thanks for the suggestion. I did do that, keeps me from trying to stomp
on him each time. Unfortunately, that didn't end the endless discussions
about his messages...

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 03-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Mark Kirkwood

Charlie Kravetz wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion. I did do that, keeps me from trying to stomp
> on him each time. Unfortunately, that didn't end the endless discussions
> about his messages...

...and funnily enough - in *this* case it seemed (to me anyway) that
Karl's post was quite legitimate: i.e a question (slightly veiled
possibly) about heat or motherboard reliability... and some of us maybe
over reacted a little...

regards

Mark