Old 12-31-2007, 03:13 PM
John French

Default How do I tell my system its domain name ?

I want to use a Gutsy system as a Samba server, and as my domain
controller. I think I am getting smb.conf somewhere near what I need,
but I can't seem to get the beast to learn its domain name.

I have put A50.tow.org.uk in /etc/hostname, and I have

192.168.0.240 A50 A50.tow.org.uk

in /etc/hosts (A50 has a fixed IP address). But whenever I run

$ hostname --fqdn

I get just A50.

How do I get the domain name accepted ?

John French

Old 12-31-2007, 03:36 PM
Nils Kassube

John French wrote:
> I have
>
> 192.168.0.240 A50 A50.tow.org.uk
>
> in /etc/hosts

Make that

192.168.0.240 A50.tow.org.uk A50

but I'm not sure if that is all you need.

Nils