Old 03-05-2009, 03:23 AM
NoOp

Default NOAA BSB/RNC Charts

Anyone here have any experience/advise on how to view/use NOAA
BSB/RNC/KAP Raster Navigational Charts w/Ubuntu/linux?

For example, I can view a chart in swf here:
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18649.shtml

I can download an RNC chart:
http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/staff/charts.htm#Catalog
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/RNCs/Agreement.shtml?18649
[Click OK to download 18649.zip ]
and I can extract the zip w/rnc/kap files.

Web searching turns up this:
http://smittypaddler.com/chartview/tutorial/noaa.htm
[Chartview - Downloading and using NOAA Raster Navigational Charts (RNCs)]
which I've not ventured into just yet,
and
http://libbsb.sourceforge.net/

Before I try the above two, does anyone here have experience with either?

Or, anyone know how I can just extract the chart in
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18649.shtml
for printing?

Old 03-05-2009, 11:45 AM
"Mark Haney"

NoOp wrote:

> Before I try the above two, does anyone here have experience with either?
>
> Or, anyone know how I can just extract the chart in
> http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18649.shtml
> for printing?

Both of those work pretty well, I think. I work for a non-profit ISP
that provides the NWS weather data to NOAA, so I know a bit about these
things. Most of the guys here in Asheville (home of the largest weather
data archive on the planet) use them both to varying degrees based on
talks with them. I've never used them myself, but I've had to help
compile them on odd procs before. Itanium2 especially.

HTH.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 03-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Michael

NoOp wrote:
> Anyone here have any experience/advise on how to view/use NOAA
> BSB/RNC/KAP Raster Navigational Charts w/Ubuntu/linux?
>
> For example, I can view a chart in swf here:
> http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18649.shtml
>
> I can download an RNC chart:
> http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/staff/charts.htm#Catalog
> http://www.charts.noaa.gov/RNCs/Agreement.shtml?18649
> [Click OK to download 18649.zip ]
> and I can extract the zip w/rnc/kap files.
>
> Web searching turns up this:
> http://smittypaddler.com/chartview/tutorial/noaa.htm
> [Chartview - Downloading and using NOAA Raster Navigational Charts (RNCs)]
> which I've not ventured into just yet,
> and
> http://libbsb.sourceforge.net/
>
> Before I try the above two, does anyone here have experience with either?
>
> Or, anyone know how I can just extract the chart in
> http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18649.shtml
> for printing?

There is a navigation software that uses noaa bsb or enc charts called
"opencpn" you can get it at

http://bigdumboat.com/cpnfaq.html

Mike

Old 03-05-2009, 06:06 PM
NoOp

On 03/05/2009 04:45 AM, Mark Haney wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>

>> Before I try the above two, does anyone here have experience with either?
>>
>> Or, anyone know how I can just extract the chart in
>> http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18649.shtml
>> for printing?
>>

> Both of those work pretty well, I think. I work for a non-profit ISP
> that provides the NWS weather data to NOAA, so I know a bit about these
> things. Most of the guys here in Asheville (home of the largest weather
> data archive on the planet) use them both to varying degrees based on
> talks with them. I've never used them myself, but I've had to help
> compile them on odd procs before. Itanium2 especially.

Thanks! I'll give them a try this weekend & post back on how it goes.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:24 PM
"Mark Haney"

NoOp wrote:
> On 03/05/2009 04:45 AM, Mark Haney wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>
>>> Before I try the above two, does anyone here have experience with either?
>>>
>>> Or, anyone know how I can just extract the chart in
>>> http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18649.shtml
>>> for printing?
>>>

>> Both of those work pretty well, I think. I work for a non-profit ISP
>> that provides the NWS weather data to NOAA, so I know a bit about these
>> things. Most of the guys here in Asheville (home of the largest weather
>> data archive on the planet) use them both to varying degrees based on
>> talks with them. I've never used them myself, but I've had to help
>> compile them on odd procs before. Itanium2 especially.
>
> Thanks! I'll give them a try this weekend & post back on how it goes.

Please do. May I inquire as to the reason for you using/needing these?

Old 03-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Jonathan Hudson

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:23:27 -0800, NoOp wrote:

>Anyone here have any experience/advise on how to view/use NOAA
>BSB/RNC/KAP Raster Navigational Charts w/Ubuntu/linux?

qgis will display and print BSB (.kap) files.

-jh

Old 03-05-2009, 06:29 PM
NoOp

On 03/05/2009 08:49 AM, Michael wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>> Before I try the above two, does anyone here have experience with either?
>>
>> Or, anyone know how I can just extract the chart in
>> http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18649.shtml
>> for printing?
>>

> There is a navigation software that uses noaa bsb or enc charts called
> "opencpn" you can get it at
>
> http://bigdumboat.com/cpnfaq.html

Cool! Got it installed, managed to crash it, but looks to be a project
that I won't mind participating in & playing with:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f121/opencpn-13653.html

Thanks again.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:07 PM
NoOp

On 03/05/2009 11:24 AM, Mark Haney wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>>> Both of those work pretty well, I think. I work for a non-profit ISP
>>> that provides the NWS weather data to NOAA, so I know a bit about these
>>> things. Most of the guys here in Asheville (home of the largest weather
>>> data archive on the planet) use them both to varying degrees based on
>>> talks with them. I've never used them myself, but I've had to help
>>> compile them on odd procs before. Itanium2 especially.
>>
>> Thanks! I'll give them a try this weekend & post back on how it goes.

> Please do. May I inquire as to the reason for you using/needing these?

During the racing season (sailing) I work on-water Race Committee in the
18649 area (San Francisco Bay). I normally work deep water near the
Golden Gate Bridge. However, the courses are not always the same & some
some are in quite shallow water. So, I want to print out sections that I
commonly set race courses in & keep in my backpack so that it's easy for
me to pre-set lines & anchors before going out to set the racing marks.

I did manage to get opencpn (Mike's suggestion) to bring up the chart
(thanks Mike!) but having some issues getting that program to print. For
the time being, zooming in to the area I need & taking a screenshot
works great.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:27 PM
NoOp

On 03/05/2009 11:26 AM, Jonathan Hudson wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:23:27 -0800, NoOp wrote:
>
>>Anyone here have any experience/advise on how to view/use NOAA
>>BSB/RNC/KAP Raster Navigational Charts w/Ubuntu/linux?
>>

> qgis will display and print BSB (.kap) files.
>
> -jh

By golly you're right! I had completely missed that. When I tried the
bsb it said that it didn't support that format. But now selecting the
kap file brings it up just fine :-)

Thanks to all that replied.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Geff Lampshire

Thanks for bringing it up - I do RC in the Annapolis area, and use the
charts also - now I'll tryto make use of the cpnscreen too!

--Geff