Old 03-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Cesar Augusto Suarez

Default install driver at startup

Hi.
I've installed a* 536 chipset intel modem and the ifax software.
this works well; however, every time i startup thes ystem, the modem doesnt work anymore, and i must tyo install it again,after that,it works again.
how can i make a script to install themodem driver every time the system startup?

¡Es tu oportunidad de Brillar! br>Sube tus fotos ya http://www.51bello.com/--

Old 03-05-2009, 05:55 AM
Nils Kassube

Cesar Augusto Suarez wrote:
> I've installed a 536 chipset intel modem and the ifax software.
> this works well; however, every time i startup thes ystem, the modem
> doesnt work anymore, and i must tyo install it again,after that,it
> works again. how can i make a script to install themodem driver every
> time the system startup?

If you know how to write scripts you can invoke it in /etc/rc.local
before the "exit 0" line. If you want us to help you write the script
we need to know the commands to install the driver.

Nils

Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Cesar Augusto Suarez

Nils.
Thanks for your offer.
the driver is located in .deb file, theproblemis thaty the system* will ask for the su password each time the script is invoked (every startup, everyday), as this pc is the secretary pc, i would like to install that driver silently, i dont wanna edit the sudoers file, because i dont wanna* thispc will be rooted everyday, just at themoment to install the modem driver.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Nils Kassube

Cesar Augusto Suarez wrote:
> the driver is located in .deb file,

Well, if you install the deb file it should be on the system
permanently. Therefore I don't really understand why it needs to be
installed every time the machine is booted. Can you tell us which
driver it is? Is that deb file installed from the Ubuntu repository or
is it from a separate source?

> theproblemis thaty the system
> will ask for the su password each time the script is invoked (every
> startup, everyday),

Not if you invoke your script from /etc/rc.local because that script is
run by root already at the end of the boot process.

Nils

Old 03-06-2009, 12:34 AM
Derek Broughton

Cesar Augusto Suarez wrote:

> Nils.
> Thanks for your offer.
> the driver is located in .deb file,

That makes no sense. It may have been delivered in a .deb, but that's not
how you install drivers.

> theproblemis thaty the system will
> ask for the su password each time the script is invoked (every startup,
> everyday),

Not if, as Nils suggested, you put the "modprobe" statement in /etc/rc.local

> as this pc is the secretary pc, i would like to install that
> driver silently, i dont wanna edit the sudoers file, because i dont wanna
> thispc will be rooted everyday, just at themoment to install the modem
> driver.

Do you actually know what the sudoers file does? That's _precisely_ why you
would put a command in /etc/sudoers - but for system startup commands,
rc.local would be better.

An even better alternative would be a udev rule, but rc.local would be
simplest.
--
derek