FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Brian Lunergan
 
Default Adding menu entries to Wine...

Hi all:

I have a couple of windows based website coding tools that I'd like to
add to Wine on my 8.04 setup. Hitch is that these have no install
program of their own. They're of the make a directory and drop it in
variety, so of course the Wine installer is no direct help. I can get
each of them as far as the add it to the "C: drive" part, but I have no
idea how to manually add a menu entry for a Wine program.

I did poke around the Wine site, but didn't come across anything
explaining things. Anybody done this that could share the how to, or at
least point me in the direction of some good notes on the subject,
please??

Regards...
--
Brian Lunergan
Nepean, Ontario
Canada



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Brian McKee
 
Default Adding menu entries to Wine...

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Brian Lunergan <ff809@ncf.ca> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I have a couple of windows based website coding tools that I'd like to
> add to Wine on my 8.04 setup. Hitch is that these have no install
> program of their own. They're of the make a directory and drop it in
> variety, so of course the Wine installer is no direct help. I can get
> each of them as far as the add it to the "C: drive" part, but I have no
> idea how to manually add a menu entry for a Wine program.
>
> I did poke around the Wine site, but didn't come across anything
> explaining things. Anybody done this that could share the how to, or at
> least point me in the direction of some good notes on the subject,
> please??

Hey Brian

Programs run under wine aren't really any different than any other
program in the menus.
You just need a launcher to access them, and an apropriate logo. So,
in rather exhaustive detail, here we go

1 - Take a program you already have installed in Wine Not the Notepad
or Browse entries that are there by default, but one you've installed.
I'm assuming you've installed some thing else already. Right click
on it and choose 'add this launcher to desktop' This will be our
template.

2 - Go to your desktop and right click on the launcher, and choose 'Properties'

3 - Go to the Launcher tab in the Properties window (last one)

4 - Copy the entire string shown in the middle 'Command' box.

5 - Go to System -> Preferences -> Main Menu

6 - Pick the spot you want your new launcher on the tree on the left,
then choose new item on the right

7 - Leave it set as 'application', Name is whatever you want to call
it, and Comment is what will appear in the pop up box if you hover
your mouse over.

8 - Paste in the copied string into the 'Command' box, then edit it
for your application. For instance, I have one like this
env WINEPREFIX="/home/me/.wine" wine "C:Program FilesLubrifiner.exe"
All you need to do is change the c:Program Files to the right
location for your program

9 - Click on the springplate icon to pick a new icon - if you navigate
to ~/.wine/path to your program/ there is often a .ico file you can
use to get the 'correct' icon for the program

10 - Pitch the template launcher off your desktop

HTH
Brian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Brian Lunergan
 
Default Adding menu entries to Wine...

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 13:31 -0500, Brian McKee wrote:

<original post trimmed out>

> Hey Brian
>
> Programs run under wine aren't really any different than any other
> program in the menus.
> You just need a launcher to access them, and an apropriate logo. So,
> in rather exhaustive detail, here we go
>
> 1 - Take a program you already have installed in Wine Not the Notepad
> or Browse entries that are there by default, but one you've installed.
> I'm assuming you've installed some thing else already. Right click
> on it and choose 'add this launcher to desktop' This will be our
> template.
>
> 2 - Go to your desktop and right click on the launcher, and choose 'Properties'
>
> 3 - Go to the Launcher tab in the Properties window (last one)
>
> 4 - Copy the entire string shown in the middle 'Command' box.
>
> 5 - Go to System -> Preferences -> Main Menu
>
> 6 - Pick the spot you want your new launcher on the tree on the left,
> then choose new item on the right
>
> 7 - Leave it set as 'application', Name is whatever you want to call
> it, and Comment is what will appear in the pop up box if you hover
> your mouse over.
>
> 8 - Paste in the copied string into the 'Command' box, then edit it
> for your application. For instance, I have one like this
> env WINEPREFIX="/home/me/.wine" wine "C:Program FilesLubrifiner.exe"
> All you need to do is change the c:Program Files to the right
> location for your program
>
> 9 - Click on the springplate icon to pick a new icon - if you navigate
> to ~/.wine/path to your program/ there is often a .ico file you can
> use to get the 'correct' icon for the program
>
> 10 - Pitch the template launcher off your desktop

Brian:

Thanks very much.

I'll give your instructions a try out and see how things go.

Regards...
--
Brian Lunergan
Nepean, Ontario
Canada



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Brian McKee
 
Default Adding menu entries to Wine...

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Brian Lunergan <ff809@ncf.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 13:31 -0500, Brian McKee wrote:
>
> <original post trimmed out>
> Thanks very much.
>
> I'll give your instructions a try out and see how things go.

Let me know how it works out - think I'll turn it into a blog post if
you can follow it ok.

Brian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:24 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org