Old 03-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Lorenzo Luengo

Default What's wrong with cron?

Hi List,

I recently configured the root alias to forward email to me, and i found
that cron is throwing errors to my mailbox.

The subject is
Cron <root@host> root cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly

And the body is

/bin/sh: root: not found

It's the default system crontab, but it looks like it's skipping the
username field and interpreting it as a command.

Thanks for any help you could provide me.
--

Lorenzo Luengo Contreras
Administrador de Sistemas DGEO

Old 03-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Derek Broughton

Lorenzo Luengo wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I recently configured the root alias to forward email to me, and i found
> that cron is throwing errors to my mailbox.
>
> The subject is
> Cron <root@host> root cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly
>
> And the body is
>
> /bin/sh: root: not found
>

> It's the default system crontab, but it looks like it's skipping the
> username field and interpreting it as a command.
>
> Thanks for any help you could provide me.

It would probably have helped if you'd pasted at least that line from the
crontab. (I trust you do mean /etc/crontab, not _root's_ crontab - which
wouldn't have a username field).
--
derek

Old 03-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Lorenzo Luengo

Derek Broughton escribió:
> Lorenzo Luengo wrote:
>

>> Hi List,
>>
>> I recently configured the root alias to forward email to me, and i found
>> that cron is throwing errors to my mailbox.
>>
>> The subject is
>> Cron <root@host> root cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly
>>
>> And the body is
>>
>> /bin/sh: root: not found
>>

>> It's the default system crontab, but it looks like it's skipping the
>> username field and interpreting it as a command.
>>
>> Thanks for any help you could provide me.
>>

> It would probably have helped if you'd pasted at least that line from the
> crontab. (I trust you do mean /etc/crontab, not _root's_ crontab - which
> wouldn't have a username field).

You're right... but let me ask a question...

Is there a difference between system crontab and root user crontab?? How
can you make a difference between both?? (I mean how do you edit them)

I'm doing "crontab -e" under a "sudo -i" shell.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Lorenzo Luengo

Lorenzo Luengo escribió:
> Derek Broughton escribió:
>
>> Lorenzo Luengo wrote:
>>

>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> I recently configured the root alias to forward email to me, and i found
>>> that cron is throwing errors to my mailbox.
>>>
>>> The subject is
>>> Cron <root@host> root cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly
>>>
>>> And the body is
>>>
>>> /bin/sh: root: not found
>>>

>>> It's the default system crontab, but it looks like it's skipping the
>>> username field and interpreting it as a command.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help you could provide me.
>>>

>> It would probably have helped if you'd pasted at least that line from the
>> crontab. (I trust you do mean /etc/crontab, not _root's_ crontab - which
>> wouldn't have a username field).
>>

> You're right... but let me ask a question...
>
> Is there a difference between system crontab and root user crontab?? How
> can you make a difference between both?? (I mean how do you edit them)
>
> I'm doing "crontab -e" under a "sudo -i" shell.

Hmmm I just realized. root crontab is no /etc/crontab, and in my system,
root's crontab was a copy-paste of system crontab, and that was
generating the problems.

Thanks every one for the light shed on this problem!

Old 03-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Derek Broughton

Lorenzo Luengo wrote:

> Lorenzo Luengo escribió:
>> Derek Broughton escribió:
>>
>>> It would probably have helped if you'd pasted at least that line from
>>> the
>>> crontab. (I trust you do mean /etc/crontab, not _root's_ crontab -
>>> which wouldn't have a username field).
>>>

>> You're right... but let me ask a question...
>>
>> Is there a difference between system crontab and root user crontab?? How
>> can you make a difference between both?? (I mean how do you edit them)
>>
>> I'm doing "crontab -e" under a "sudo -i" shell.
>>
> Hmmm I just realized. root crontab is no /etc/crontab, and in my system,

Precisely.

> root's crontab was a copy-paste of system crontab, and that was
> generating the problems.

Indeed. I'm not actually sure what the correct way to edit /etc/crontab
is - I always just edited it :-) These days I usually use kcron, which
differentiates between the "system" cron and "root".
--
derek

Old 03-05-2009, 02:16 PM
R Kimber

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 10:17:24 -0400
Derek Broughton wrote:

> Indeed. I'm not actually sure what the correct way to
> edit /etc/crontab is - I always just edited it :-) These days I
> usually use kcron, which differentiates between the "system" cron and
> "root". --

Is kcron a stand-alone app, or must one be using KDE?

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 03-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Derek Broughton

R Kimber wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 10:17:24 -0400
> Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> Indeed. I'm not actually sure what the correct way to
>> edit /etc/crontab is - I always just edited it :-) These days I
>> usually use kcron, which differentiates between the "system" cron and
>> "root". --
>
> Is kcron a stand-alone app, or must one be using KDE?

Well, its only KDE dependency is kdelibs - but that's pretty much the basis
of KDE...

You might also consider gcrontab, which is GTK based.
--
derek