Old 03-04-2009, 02:23 AM
Bart Silverstrim

Default New heat grease, no help

David Curtis wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 23:15:21 -0300
> Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> ... that's just cold! I like it!
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>
>> Want to have fun? Who needs sitcoms? Just subscribe Ubuntu-Users...
>

> No kidding, I propose a name change from ubuntu-users to alt.ubuntu.users.troll.troll.troll.

That wouldn't happen until we have Hardy Harry or Plucky Potter released.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:30 AM
Charlie Kravetz

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 03:13:19 +0200
Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> First, do no harm.
> >>
> > Dotan Cohen is a liar and a cheat. If a new user gets help from him,
> > they run back to Windows as fast as possible.
> >

> I'm a liar _and_ a cheat! Sorry, just trolling through!
>
> If anyone will take the advice of a mailing list post to remove a fan
> and spread grease on the cooling fins, then he should not have been
> opening the case to begin with. I'm serious. Darwin would agree.
>
> And if you are hiding from Windows in Ubuntu, and some bad advice will
> have you running back, then please do run. Ubuntu is a fine operating
> system on it's own merits, it does not have to be a sanctuary for teh
> h8z M$ kidz. Ubuntu's success need not be measured by how many Windows
> converts is attracts, no more than does Ubuntu's failure need to be
> measured by how many people leave Ubuntu for Windows. Even Mark
> Shuttleworth, who filed a bug against Ubuntu about Windows' dominant
> market share, advises against converting people to Ubuntu.
>
> Have a good night, all, and don't forget: sticky air is what makes a
> computer run hot so get that air flowing by greasing the cooling fins.
> If the arctic silver grease isn't slippery enough, then try spraying
> some WD-40 on the processor, motherboard, and hard drives as well. You
> can always wash it away with water if it doesn't work.

Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks, I needed that, too.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 03-04-2009, 04:53 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

snip

> I'm a liar _and_ a cheat! Sorry, just trolling through!
>
> If anyone will take the advice of a mailing list post to
> remove a fan
> and spread grease on the cooling fins, then he should not
> have been
> opening the case to begin with. I'm serious. Darwin
> would agree.
>
> And if you are hiding from Windows in Ubuntu, and some bad
> advice will
> have you running back, then please do run. Ubuntu is a fine
> operating
> system on it's own merits, it does not have to be a
> sanctuary for teh
> h8z M$ kidz. Ubuntu's success need not be measured by
> how many Windows
> converts is attracts, no more than does Ubuntu's
> failure need to be
> measured by how many people leave Ubuntu for Windows. Even
> Mark
> Shuttleworth, who filed a bug against Ubuntu about
> Windows' dominant
> market share, advises against converting people to Ubuntu.
>
> Have a good night, all, and don't forget: sticky air is
> what makes a
> computer run hot so get that air flowing by greasing the
> cooling fins.
> If the arctic silver grease isn't slippery enough, then
> try spraying
> some WD-40 on the processor, motherboard, and hard drives
> as well. You
> can always wash it away with water if it doesn't work.

This is totally uncalled for, Dotan and Cybr, and not appropriate for list mail.
I too read Karl's post and did not take any offense at what he said. If anyone should leave the list I think it should be you two.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 03-04-2009, 05:43 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 2:53 AM, Leonard Chatagnier
<lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> This is totally uncalled for, Dotan and Cybr, and not appropriate for list mail.
> I too read Karl's post and did not take any offense at what he said. *If anyone should leave the list I think it should be you two.
> Leonard Chatagnier

"Cría cuervos, y te sacarán los ojos"

Old 03-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Mark Kirkwood

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> I have to keep my Ubuntu set for Zero Appearance effects. If I set
> it to normal my system works pretty good until I use Google. It has so
> many color effects it heats up the video chip and my screen displays a
> funny cross-hatch pattern and it kills the keyboard and mouse.
>
> Today I bought a tube of high temp grease and I took off the heat
> sink and cleaned it all up with alcohol and then put a liberal amount on
> the top of the chip and put the heat sink back on. Alas it does not
> improve performance one bit :-)

Going against the trend on this one, I'm gonna try to provide helpful
advice :-)...

Karl, from what you wrote it sounds like you renewed the grease on your
video card heat sink, right? Maybe do your cpu one as well (tho check
the sort of grease is suitable for both), and blow the dust off the
heatsink before reinstalling. A word on what to do after you are all
"re-greased" as it were - some types of thermal paste need several heat
up/cool down cycles before they work at their rated heat conducting
level, so if you normally leave your machine on overnight - turn it off
in the evening for a week or so to let it cool down overnight.

I use Arctic Silver thermal paste on my machines, after the procedure
described above I can switch my (single) case fan to silent mode, run
the video card (Radeon 9600 pro) with a Zalman fanless heatsink and have
no heat problems (it is summer where I live in New Zealand). The cpu is
an AMD64X2 3800+.

Cheers

Mark

Old 03-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Eberhard Roloff

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> snip
>> I'm a liar _and_ a cheat! Sorry, just trolling through!
>>
>> If anyone will take the advice of a mailing list post to
>> remove a fan
>> and spread grease on the cooling fins, then he should not
>> have been
>> opening the case to begin with. I'm serious. Darwin
>> would agree.
>>
>> And if you are hiding from Windows in Ubuntu, and some bad
>> advice will
>> have you running back, then please do run. Ubuntu is a fine
>> operating
>> system on it's own merits, it does not have to be a
>> sanctuary for teh
>> h8z M$ kidz. Ubuntu's success need not be measured by
>> how many Windows
>> converts is attracts, no more than does Ubuntu's
>> failure need to be
>> measured by how many people leave Ubuntu for Windows. Even
>> Mark
>> Shuttleworth, who filed a bug against Ubuntu about
>> Windows' dominant
>> market share, advises against converting people to Ubuntu.
>>
>> Have a good night, all, and don't forget: sticky air is
>> what makes a
>> computer run hot so get that air flowing by greasing the
>> cooling fins.
>> If the arctic silver grease isn't slippery enough, then
>> try spraying
>> some WD-40 on the processor, motherboard, and hard drives
>> as well. You
>> can always wash it away with water if it doesn't work.
>>
> This is totally uncalled for, Dotan and Cybr, and not appropriate for list mail.
> I too read Karl's post and did not take any offense at what he said. If anyone should leave the list I think it should be you two.
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Apparently it could make sense to establish a certain degree of humour
as a base requirement for posting to the list.

Eberhard

Old 03-04-2009, 12:22 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> I have to keep my Ubuntu set for Zero Appearance effects. If I set
>> it to normal my system works pretty good until I use Google. It has so
>> many color effects it heats up the video chip and my screen displays a
>> funny cross-hatch pattern and it kills the keyboard and mouse.
>>
>> Today I bought a tube of high temp grease and I took off the heat
>> sink and cleaned it all up with alcohol and then put a liberal amount on
>> the top of the chip and put the heat sink back on. Alas it does not
>> improve performance one bit :-)
>>

> Going against the trend on this one, I'm gonna try to provide helpful
> advice :-)...
>
> Karl, from what you wrote it sounds like you renewed the grease on your
> video card heat sink, right? Maybe do your cpu one as well (tho check
> the sort of grease is suitable for both), and blow the dust off the
> heatsink before reinstalling. A word on what to do after you are all
> "re-greased" as it were - some types of thermal paste need several heat
> up/cool down cycles before they work at their rated heat conducting
> level, so if you normally leave your machine on overnight - turn it off
> in the evening for a week or so to let it cool down overnight.
>
> I use Arctic Silver thermal paste on my machines, after the procedure
> described above I can switch my (single) case fan to silent mode, run
> the video card (Radeon 9600 pro) with a Zalman fanless heatsink and have
> no heat problems (it is summer where I live in New Zealand). The cpu is
> an AMD64X2 3800+.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark

Hi Mark the grease I used was made by DYNEX and was hard to find.
Not sold in the typical computer section of a store.

I did also buy a PCI-Ex board that has a 7200 nVidia chip and it has
a GIANT heat sink! The entire card is covered by it. I installed it and
hooked the monitor to the old VGA output (it has 2 other output plugs).

It came up working and I switched to high visual effects and it has
been running for 8 hours now and is working fine.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 03-04-2009, 01:17 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> said:
> This is totally uncalled for, Dotan and Cybr, and not appropriate for
> list mail. I too read Karl's post and did not take any offense at
> what he said. If anyone should leave the list I think it should be
> you two. Leonard Chatagnier

By, "Cybr," do you refer to me? My two posts to this thread have been:
-----------------------------
Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> said:
> You need to put that grease on the outside of the heatsink for it to
> work. Just remove the fan and put the grease where the fan was.

?!?

First, do no harm.
-----------------------------
and:
computer blog. ITTBT, so am I.
------------------------------

Where is the inappropriate part? I think my missives to be
reasonable-ish. If you will note, the first sort of defended Karl.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 03-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> >> I'm a liar _and_ a cheat! Sorry, just trolling
> through!
> >>
> >> If anyone will take the advice of a mailing list
> post to
> >> remove a fan
> >> and spread grease on the cooling fins, then he
> should not
> >> have been
> >> opening the case to begin with. I'm serious.
> Darwin
> >> would agree.
> >>
> >> And if you are hiding from Windows in Ubuntu, and
> some bad
> >> advice will
> >> have you running back, then please do run. Ubuntu
> is a fine
> >> operating
> >> system on it's own merits, it does not have to
> be a
> >> sanctuary for teh
> >> h8z M$ kidz. Ubuntu's success need not be
> measured by
> >> how many Windows
> >> converts is attracts, no more than does
> Ubuntu's
> >> failure need to be
> >> measured by how many people leave Ubuntu for
> Windows. Even
> >> Mark
> >> Shuttleworth, who filed a bug against Ubuntu about
> >> Windows' dominant
> >> market share, advises against converting people to
> Ubuntu.
> >>
> >> Have a good night, all, and don't forget:
> sticky air is
> >> what makes a
> >> computer run hot so get that air flowing by
> greasing the
> >> cooling fins.
> >> If the arctic silver grease isn't slippery
> enough, then
> >> try spraying
> >> some WD-40 on the processor, motherboard, and hard
> drives
> >> as well. You
> >> can always wash it away with water if it
> doesn't work.
> >>
> > This is totally uncalled for, Dotan and Cybr, and not
> appropriate for list mail.
> > I too read Karl's post and did not take any
> offense at what he said. If anyone should leave the list I
> think it should be you two.
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
> >

> Apparently it could make sense to establish a certain
> degree of humour
> as a base requirement for posting to the list.
>
> Eberhard

Your entitled to your opinion but I don't see it that way and Karl certainly didn't.
There are nice ways to tell someone they are not posting in a correct approved way. It's certainly not appropriate to say something that is totally incorrect and likely harmful to a computer in case a total noobie is reading and doesn't know any better.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 03-04-2009, 03:29 PM
"H.S."

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Your entitled to your opinion but I don't see it that way and Karl certainly didn't.
> There are nice ways to tell someone they are not posting in a correct approved way. It's certainly not appropriate to say something that is totally incorrect and likely harmful to a computer in case a total noobie is reading and doesn't know any better.
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

I see your point, and I agree with it.

I think what some people are trying to explain here is that if one wants
to be sarcastic or humorous, it should made clear in some way (/sarcasm
tags, for jokes or by using one's writing skills), for the exact
reason given above by Leonard. The lists are future references for all
kinds of users, including newbies.

But then this is an open mailing list and everyone is entitled to
his/her own opinion. One cannot force others to follow some basic rules.
In my opinion, what this eventually leads to is the image a particular
list projects of itself. If it is filled with noise which has
potentially dangerous advice in the guise of being humorous without
explicitly stating so, the list will get an image of not being thorough
or untrustworthy.

And there is absolutely nothing one can make others do there. In a way I
see it as Darwinism as work here. If a list eventually is untrustworthy,
it will not be references much by people looking for good advice.
Example: I find that out of the linux newsgroups, redhad, fedora and
other mailing lists, the most trustworthy, useful, robust and
knowledgeable lists (for Linux advice) are of Debian and Gentoo. The
most noisy newsgroup that comes to my mind is of Windows XP on
microsoft's servers (undoubtedly there are others).

Regards.

ever having been read.