Old 03-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Default Intrepid Ibex Installation

Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> Craig Huffstetler wrote:
> [cut]
>
>> For example: Did previous versions of Ubuntu work fine for you
>> (Hardy, possibily even an alpha or beta of Intrepid)? It's only the
>> 32-bit Intrepid final that is failing to boot, which leads me to
>> believe it's something to do with the final kernel included and your
>> hardware. I just wanted to test it against another kernel at boot
>> time.
>
> Yes, Hardy had no problems and Debian (Lenny) works fine also, but I
> ruled out hardware because of the machine spread. True, 2 are Intel
> Pentium III at 800 MHz, but the third is an AMD Athlon 64+ at 2000 MHz
> with a totally different main board, SATA disks etc.
>
>> Questions: 1. How far are you getting into your boot-up? Do you get
>> the splash screen, for example (Install Ubuntu/Try Ubuntu Live!).
>
> I get to the splash screen (past the language check where I successfully
> choose English) and then select the "Check CD for defects". That
> ultimately fails with "Check finished: errors found in 7 files!". The
> errors seem to all fall into the class "[ nn.mmmmmm] end_request: I/O
> error, dev sr0, sector xxxx
>
>> 2. Are you receiving any errors when you boot-up for installation on
>> the failed attempts? This seems to be what you are pointing to. If
>> so, what are they?
>
> I only tried installation once and observed similar errors. I'm very
> reluctant to try again as I don't want to wreck a perfectly good Hardy
> installation.. I know that sounds irrational, but whilst I don't mind
> re-installing I don't want to be left with a lump of useless iron if the
> installation fails:-)
>
>> 3. Is it the same error every time? 4. The only thing that made the
>> final attempt successful for installation was simply that it was the
>> 64 bit variant?
>
> Not true. Similar failures occurred with the 64 bit variant, but finally
> ceased after the DVD-RW experiment, suggesting that something is flaky,
> but not totally broken. In a previous life, many years ago, I wrote
> device error recovery code and it looks here as if someone in just not
> trying to recover an error
>
> Thanks a lot for your interest.
>
> Peter HB

For a start, I would think that the CDs and/or drives might be faulty.

well maybe your CD drives are a bit old and worn, especially the PIIIs'.
I would burn the CD, then successfully check with
sudo dd if=/dev/scd1 | md5sum
(assuming that /dev/scd1 is your CD-drive). Only after successfully
checking, use the CD for installation. Should the install still fail,
you should do the same test on the very machine that fails and see
whether there are differences.

In regard to the CD/DVD phenominum: My drive here, a five year old NEC,
burns DVD faultlessly each time (md5sum always checked and compared),
while CD burning more often fails than I would like to see.

kind regards
Eberhard

Old 03-03-2009, 11:22 PM
NoOp

On 03/03/2009 09:37 AM, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> This is just a general note to see if others have encountered similar
> problems to myself with an Intrepid installation.
>
> On 3 different machines, 2 Intel and 1 AMD, I have been unable to
> successfully sum-check CDs created from the downloaded ISO and also an
> officially supplied CD from Canonical (both of them the 32 bit, i86
> variant).

When you state that you are 'not able to successfuly sum -check (I
assume you mean md5sum here) CDs', are you referring to the md5sum of
the ISO file, or the CD itself? Do the ISO file(s) match the listed
md5sums for the download?

http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/8.10/MD5SUMS

Note that the md5sum of the burned CD will not match those of the ISO.

The symptoms involve a variable number - typically 7 - of disc
> errors during the boot option of checking the CD for errors. Similar
> errors are also reported if an installation is attempted.
>
> Needless to say all the CDs, both my own and Canonical's, verify
> successfully against the ISO when checked with ImgBurn and Nero,
> suggesting that the problem lies within the drivers used at start-up.

So, the ISO md5sums do match. That only indicates that the ISO file is
good. The issue seems to be that the burn is not correct as when you run
the 'Check CD' it verifies the files on the CD against the md5sum.txt
file on the CD. When you:

> I get to the splash screen (past the language check where I successfully
> choose English) and then select the "Check CD for defects". That
> ultimately fails with "Check finished: errors found in 7 files!". The
> errors seem to all fall into the class "[ nn.mmmmmm] end_request: I/O
> error, dev sr0, sector xxxx

you can check the error files md5sum against that md5sum.txt to see if
they are actually bad on the CD, or if a R/W I/O error is causing the
problem.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:50 PM
James Tappin

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 23:50:43 +0100
Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@gmx.de> wrote:

ER> Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
ER> > Craig Huffstetler wrote:
ER> > [cut]
ER> >
ER> >> For example: Did previous versions of Ubuntu work fine for you
ER> >> (Hardy, possibily even an alpha or beta of Intrepid)? It's only the
ER> >> 32-bit Intrepid final that is failing to boot, which leads me to
ER> >> believe it's something to do with the final kernel included and your
ER> >> hardware. I just wanted to test it against another kernel at boot
ER> >> time.
ER> >
ER> > Yes, Hardy had no problems and Debian (Lenny) works fine also, but I
ER> > ruled out hardware because of the machine spread. True, 2 are Intel
ER> > Pentium III at 800 MHz, but the third is an AMD Athlon 64+ at 2000 MHz
ER> > with a totally different main board, SATA disks etc.
ER> >
ER> >> Questions: 1. How far are you getting into your boot-up? Do you get
ER> >> the splash screen, for example (Install Ubuntu/Try Ubuntu Live!).
ER> >
ER> > I get to the splash screen (past the language check where I successfully
ER> > choose English) and then select the "Check CD for defects". That
ER> > ultimately fails with "Check finished: errors found in 7 files!". The
ER> > errors seem to all fall into the class "[ nn.mmmmmm] end_request: I/O
ER> > error, dev sr0, sector xxxx
ER> >
ER> >> 2. Are you receiving any errors when you boot-up for installation on
ER> >> the failed attempts? This seems to be what you are pointing to. If
ER> >> so, what are they?
ER> >
ER> > I only tried installation once and observed similar errors. I'm very
ER> > reluctant to try again as I don't want to wreck a perfectly good Hardy
ER> > installation.. I know that sounds irrational, but whilst I don't mind
ER> > re-installing I don't want to be left with a lump of useless iron if the
ER> > installation fails:-)
ER> >
ER> >> 3. Is it the same error every time? 4. The only thing that made the
ER> >> final attempt successful for installation was simply that it was the
ER> >> 64 bit variant?
ER> >
ER> > Not true. Similar failures occurred with the 64 bit variant, but finally
ER> > ceased after the DVD-RW experiment, suggesting that something is flaky,
ER> > but not totally broken. In a previous life, many years ago, I wrote
ER> > device error recovery code and it looks here as if someone in just not
ER> > trying to recover an error
ER> >
ER> > Thanks a lot for your interest.
ER> >
ER> > Peter HB
ER> >
ER> For a start, I would think that the CDs and/or drives might be faulty.
ER>
ER> well maybe your CD drives are a bit old and worn, especially the PIIIs'.
ER> I would burn the CD, then successfully check with
ER> sudo dd if=/dev/scd1 | md5sum
ER> (assuming that /dev/scd1 is your CD-drive). Only after successfully
ER> checking, use the CD for installation. Should the install still fail,
ER> you should do the same test on the very machine that fails and see
ER> whether there are differences.
ER>
ER> In regard to the CD/DVD phenominum: My drive here, a five year old NEC,
ER> burns DVD faultlessly each time (md5sum always checked and compared),
ER> while CD burning more often fails than I would like to see.

That's very probable. Just one thing to add, you don't need dd:
md5sum /dev/sdc0
works just fine.