Old 03-03-2009, 08:26 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default New heat grease, no help

I have to keep my Ubuntu set for Zero Appearance effects. If I set
it to normal my system works pretty good until I use Google. It has so
many color effects it heats up the video chip and my screen displays a
funny cross-hatch pattern and it kills the keyboard and mouse.

Today I bought a tube of high temp grease and I took off the heat
sink and cleaned it all up with alcohol and then put a liberal amount on
the top of the chip and put the heat sink back on. Alas it does not
improve performance one bit :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 03-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Dotan Cohen

> * *I have to keep my Ubuntu set for Zero Appearance effects. If I set
> it to normal my system works pretty good until I use Google. It has so
> many color effects it heats up the video chip and my screen displays a
> funny cross-hatch pattern and it kills the keyboard and mouse.

This made me laugh, really, Karl, I'm sorry that I ever doubted that
you are a troll!

> * *Today I bought a tube of high temp grease and I took off the heat
> sink and cleaned it all up with alcohol and then put a liberal amount on
> the top of the chip and put the heat sink back on. *Alas it does not
> improve performance one bit :-)

You need to put that grease on the outside of the heatsink for it to
work. Just remove the fan and put the grease where the fan was.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-03-2009, 09:57 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> said:
> You need to put that grease on the outside of the heatsink for it to
> work. Just remove the fan and put the grease where the fan was.

?!?

First, do no harm.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 03-03-2009, 10:00 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> I have to keep my Ubuntu set for Zero Appearance effects. If I set
>> it to normal my system works pretty good until I use Google. It has so
>> many color effects it heats up the video chip and my screen displays a
>> funny cross-hatch pattern and it kills the keyboard and mouse.
>>

> This made me laugh, really, Karl, I'm sorry that I ever doubted that
> you are a troll!
>

>> Today I bought a tube of high temp grease and I took off the heat
>> sink and cleaned it all up with alcohol and then put a liberal amount on
>> the top of the chip and put the heat sink back on. Alas it does not
>> improve performance one bit :-)
>>

> You need to put that grease on the outside of the heatsink for it to
> work. Just remove the fan and put the grease where the fan was.

Your the troll. I KNOW where to put the grease. It was put there. It
has no useful effect.

My next trial was a new PCI-Ex video card which was $50.00 at Best
Buy and it plugged in just fine and now I am using the highest video
setting and zero problems. The heat sink on the card is 10 times larger
than the one on the mother board.

So I am happy with my old computer again. Nice small box and a big
monitor.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> said:
>
>> You need to put that grease on the outside of the heatsink for it to
>> work. Just remove the fan and put the grease where the fan was.
>>

> ?!?
>
> First, do no harm.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

Dotan Cohen is a liar and a cheat. If a new user gets help from him,
they run back to Windows as fast as possible.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 03-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Karl Auer

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 16:04 -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> >> You need to put that grease on the outside of the heatsink for it to
> >> work. Just remove the fan and put the grease where the fan was.
> >
> Dotan Cohen is a liar and a cheat. If a new user gets help from him,
> they run back to Windows as fast as possible.

It was a joke. It was ill-advised, inappropriate to this forum and not
very funny, but it was a joke.

For the record, everyone, do NOT replace your cooling fan with heat
grease. Very important tip.

Maybe we should start an anti-FAQ, of things NOT to do, so that people
can be inoculated against the bad advice that keeps recurring...

Regards, K.
(the OTHER Karl)

Old 03-03-2009, 10:16 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

"Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> said:
> Dotan Cohen is a liar and a cheat. If a new user gets help from him,
> they run back to Windows as fast as possible.
>
> Karl

No, he's just tired of you using this mailing list as your personal
computer blog. ITTBT, so am I.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 03-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Chris

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:13:19 +1100
Karl Auer <kauer@biplane.com.au> wrote:

> > Dotan Cohen is a liar and a cheat. If a new user gets help from
> > him, they run back to Windows as fast as possible.
>
> It was a joke. It was ill-advised, inappropriate to this forum and not
> very funny, but it was a joke.
>
> For the record, everyone, do NOT replace your cooling fan with heat
> grease. Very important tip.
>
> Maybe we should start an anti-FAQ, of things NOT to do, so that people
> can be inoculated against the bad advice that keeps recurring...
>
> Regards, K.
> (the OTHER Karl)

The OTHER Karl - Haha! Oh my. Some of this stuff you just can't make up!
I love this list!

--
Best regards,

Chris

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

Old 03-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> >> Today I bought a tube of high temp grease and I
> took off the heat
> >> sink and cleaned it all up with alcohol and then
> put a liberal amount on
> >> the top of the chip and put the heat sink back on.
> Alas it does not
> >> improve performance one bit :-)
> >>

> > You need to put that grease on the outside of the
> heatsink for it to
> > work. Just remove the fan and put the grease where the
> fan was.

If I understand what you are saying, it's not correct. The heat sink grease goes between the heat sink and the video chip on the MB and not between the heat sink and fan.

> Your the troll. I KNOW where to put the grease. It was
> put there. It
> has no useful effect.

Karl, I've just gone through the same thing on a new AMD 64 X2 machine that kept giving high temperature errors. I checked the heat sink grease and it was good so I took the new maching to the shop for repairs and it had a bad motherboard. But the only symptoms I had was the high temps.
Everything else worked fine. You may have a bad video chip on board or bad driver, I don't know but don't see how visiting the google site would cause the problem.

> My next trial was a new PCI-Ex video card which was

$50.00 at Best
> Buy and it plugged in just fine and now I am using the
> highest video
> setting and zero problems. The heat sink on the card is 10
> times larger
> than the one on the mother board.
>
> So I am happy with my old computer again. Nice small
> box and a big
> monitor.

snipped

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 03-03-2009, 11:12 PM
"H.S."

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> Today I bought a tube of high temp grease and I took off the heat
>> sink and cleaned it all up with alcohol and then put a liberal amount on
>> the top of the chip and put the heat sink back on. Alas it does not
>> improve performance one bit :-)

What you did was correct. Since there was no improvement, that proves
that the heat sink was not faulty to begin with and looks like the
device is doing a lot of work and heating up.

> You need to put that grease on the outside of the heatsink for it to
> work. Just remove the fan and put the grease where the fan was.

and burn the device to cinders!

But seriously, NB: Do NOT replace the fan in this situation. The heat
link gel does between the heat sink and the device, as the OP did. That
was correct.

ever having been read.