Old 03-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Lorenzo Luengo

Default Samba problem, does not show files

Hi list!

I'm writing because i have a problem with samba... it just refuses to
show me the files under some directories, for example

root@host:/data1/ECHAM_data# ls -l eovalle/ eovalle/Andres/
eovalle/:
total 15380
drwxr--r-- 5 echam fileshare 4096 2009-02-27 11:10 Andres
drwxr--r-- 22 echam fileshare 4096 2009-02-27 10:55 Biblioteca
... more files

eovalle/Andres/:
total 12
drwxr--r-- 5 echam fileshare 4096 2009-02-27 11:10 Programas FVCOM
drwxr--r-- 6 echam fileshare 4096 2009-02-27 11:10 reloncavi
drwxr--r-- 4 echam fileshare 4096 2009-02-27 11:10 rutinasElias
root@host:/data1/ECHAM_data#

smb: ECHAM_dataeovalleAndres> ls
NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE listing ECHAM_dataeovalleAndres*

44010 blocks of size 16777216. 6636 blocks available
smb: ECHAM_dataeovalleAndres>

Any hints on what's happenning??

My smb.conf is the default, with the following share added

[sharename]
directory mask = 0775
comment = shared somewhere
writeable = no
public = yes
path = /data1
directory mode = 0775
guest ok = yes
read only = Yes
browseable = Yes

--
Lorenzo Luengo Contreras
Administrador de Sistemas DGEO

Old 03-04-2009, 02:40 AM
Norberto Bensa

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Lorenzo Luengo <lluengo@dgeo.udec.cl> wrote:
> root@host:/data1/ECHAM_data# ls -l eovalle/ eovalle/Andres/
> eovalle/:
> total 15380
> drwxr--r-- *5 echam fileshare * * 4096 2009-02-27 11:10 Andres
> drwxr--r-- 22 echam fileshare * * 4096 2009-02-27 10:55 Biblioteca

Only the user echam (and root) can list files inside Andres and Biblioteca.

> smb: ECHAM_dataeovalleAndres> ls
> NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE listing ECHAM_dataeovalleAndres*

What user did you used in that connection?

Old 03-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Lorenzo Luengo

Thanks for your reply Norberto, but...

Norberto Bensa escribió:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Lorenzo Luengo <lluengo@dgeo.udec.cl> wrote:
>
>> root@host:/data1/ECHAM_data# ls -l eovalle/ eovalle/Andres/
>> eovalle/:
>> total 15380
>> drwxr--r-- 5 echam fileshare 4096 2009-02-27 11:10 Andres
>> drwxr--r-- 22 echam fileshare 4096 2009-02-27 10:55 Biblioteca
>>

> Only the user echam (and root) can list files inside Andres and Biblioteca.

And anyone?? (the last 'r')
>> smb: ECHAM_dataeovalleAndres> ls
>> NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE listing ECHAM_dataeovalleAndres*
>>

> What user did you used in that connection?

As guest, because in my share configuration it's guest allowed. The
weird thing is that for the files in eovalle, that have the same
permissions as the folders in eovalleAndres, y can see/edit the files
in eovalle, but I can't even list the files/folders inside eovalleAndres.

I still keep thinking it's a bug.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Norberto Bensa

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Lorenzo Luengo <lluengo@dgeo.udec.cl> wrote:
> Norberto Bensa escribió:
>> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Lorenzo Luengo <lluengo@dgeo.udec.cl> wrote:
>>> drwxr--r-- *5 echam fileshare * * 4096 2009-02-27 11:10 Andres
>>> drwxr--r-- 22 echam fileshare * * 4096 2009-02-27 10:55 Biblioteca
>>>

>> Only the user echam (and root) can list files inside Andres and Biblioteca.
>>

> And anyone?? (the last 'r')

_ONLY_ echam and root can list files inside Andres and Biblioteca.

This is not a samba problem. You need chmod go+x in Andres and
Biblioteca if you want users in fileshare and everyone else to access
that directory.

>>> smb: ECHAM_dataeovalleAndres> ls
>>> NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE listing ECHAM_dataeovalleAndres*
>>>

>> What user did you used in that connection?
>>

> As guest, because in my share configuration it's guest allowed. The
> weird thing is that for the files in eovalle, that have the same
> permissions as the folders in eovalleAndres, y can see/edit the files
> in eovalle, but I can't even list the files/folders inside eovalleAndres.

Files are files and directories are directories. What are the
permissions of eovalle (ls -ld eovalle)?

> I still keep thinking it's a bug.

It's a feature.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Derek Broughton

Norberto Bensa wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Lorenzo Luengo <lluengo@dgeo.udec.cl>
> wrote:
>> Norberto Bensa escribió:

> This is not a samba problem. You need chmod go+x in Andres and
> Biblioteca if you want users in fileshare and everyone else to access
> that directory.

Or of course just "g+x" if you just want everybody in "fileshare" group to
be able to list the directory contents.

>> I still keep thinking it's a bug.
>
> It's a feature.

It's a kludge :-) That is, the "x" attribute is overloaded and only
means "eXecute" when the object is a file; it means "allow reading of the
directory contents - "aXxess" :-) - on directories.

But it's a kludge that dates back to the very earliest days of Unix, and it
can hardly be changed at this point. In any case, it beats some of the
really odd things Windows does with permission attributes...
--
derek

Old 03-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Norberto Bensa

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> But it's a kludge that dates back to the very earliest days of Unix, and it
> can hardly be changed at this point. *In any case, it beats some of the
> really odd things Windows does with permission attributes...

Microsoft Windows has more complex attibutes that only a superior
intelligence like the Asgard[1] can understand.

"x" isn't that hard to understand once you know "x" in files means
"execute" and "x" in directories mean "list files"

Regards,
Norberto

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asgard_(Stargate)

Old 03-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Lorenzo Luengo

Derek Broughton escribió:
>> This is not a samba problem. You need chmod go+x in Andres and
>> Biblioteca if you want users in fileshare and everyone else to access
>> that directory.
>>

> Or of course just "g+x" if you just want everybody in "fileshare" group to
> be able to list the directory contents.

Cool! it just worked smoothly!!!
>>> I still keep thinking it's a bug.
>>>
>> It's a feature.
>>

> It's a kludge :-) That is, the "x" attribute is overloaded and only
> means "eXecute" when the object is a file; it means "allow reading of the
> directory contents - "aXxess" :-) - on directories.
>
> But it's a kludge that dates back to the very earliest days of Unix, and it
> can hardly be changed at this point. In any case, it beats some of the
> really odd things Windows does with permission attributes...

:S I didn't know of this "feature". I always thought that the 'x'
permission only was meaningful for files.

Thanks everyone that helped building on this solution!