Old 03-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Chris G

Default Simple application to print part of an image - suggestions?

A couple of times recently I have wanted to print just part of an
image (.jpg) and, as far as I can see, none of the applications I seem
to have installed on my xubuntu lets me do this.

I just want to view the image, select a bit of it with a marquee and
then print. I guess the Gimp will do it but it's a bit OTT just for
printing something.

--
Chris Green

Old 03-03-2009, 06:04 PM

A couple of times recently I have wanted to print just part of an

image (.jpg) and, as far as I can see, none of the applications I seem

to have installed on my xubuntu lets me do this.

I just want to view the image, select a bit of it with a marquee and

then print. *I guess the Gimp will do it but it's a bit OTT just for

printing something.
Ksnapshot does this but pulls in some extra kubuntu stuff.
*

--

Chris Green

Old 03-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Craig Huffstetler

...I just want to view the image, select a bit of it with a marquee and

then print. *I guess the Gimp will do it but it's a bit OTT just for

printing something.

Hello Chris,

Two applications that seem to fit the bill for what you are looking for are mtPaint or GNU Paint ("gpaint"). You can find more information about them on their respective sites before installing them:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gpaint/
http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Craig

Old 03-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Chris Mohler

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> A couple of times recently I have wanted to print just part of an
> image (.jpg) and, as far as I can see, none of the applications I seem
> to have installed on my xubuntu lets me do this.
>
> I just want to view the image, select a bit of it with a marquee and
> then print. *I guess the Gimp will do it but it's a bit OTT just for
> printing something.

I have gThumb set as my default viewer for JPEG - I open the file,
Alt-C, select a region, click "Apply" (NOT SAVE) and then print.
Still a bit cumbersome, but quicker than firing up GIMP...

Chris

Old 03-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Brian McKee

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> I just want to view the image, select a bit of it with a marquee and
> then print. *I guess the Gimp will do it but it's a bit OTT just for
> printing something.

Couldn't you view it, hit printscreen and select just the area of the
photo you care about, then print the printscreen generated png?

Brian

Old 03-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Chris G

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 02:05:11PM -0500, Craig Huffstetler wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> ...I just want to view the image, select a bit of it with a marquee and
> then print. I guess the Gimp will do it but it's a bit OTT just for
> printing something.
>

> Hello Chris,
>
> Two applications that seem to fit the bill for what you are looking for are
> mtPaint or GNU Paint ("gpaint"). You can find more information about them on
> their respective sites before installing them:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gpaint/
> http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/
>
> I hope this helps.

Thanks, they both look very possible.

--
Chris Green

Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Chris G

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 05:14:51PM -0500, Brian McKee wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > I just want to view the image, select a bit of it with a marquee and
> > then print. *I guess the Gimp will do it but it's a bit OTT just for
> > printing something.
>
> Couldn't you view it, hit printscreen and select just the area of the
> photo you care about, then print the printscreen generated png?

I guess so - lets try..... Hmm, well printscreen didn't, so that
wasn't much help. :-)

--
Chris Green

Old 03-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Robert Parker

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:53 AM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> A couple of times recently I have wanted to print just part of an
> image (.jpg) and, as far as I can see, none of the applications I seem
> to have installed on my xubuntu lets me do this.
>
> I just want to view the image, select a bit of it with a marquee and
> then print. *I guess the Gimp will do it but it's a bit OTT just for
> printing something.

sudo apt-get install imagemagick

It's a suite of image processing programs. To select part of an image
you probably want convert so 'man convert'

Bob Parker
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Robert Parker wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:53 AM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>> A couple of times recently I have wanted to print just part of an
>> image (.jpg) and, as far as I can see, none of the applications I seem
>> to have installed on my xubuntu lets me do this.
>>
>> I just want to view the image, select a bit of it with a marquee and
>> then print. I guess the Gimp will do it but it's a bit OTT just for
>> printing something.
>

> sudo apt-get install imagemagick
>
> It's a suite of image processing programs. To select part of an image
> you probably want convert so 'man convert'

Yes, in particular look at the -crop option. Also, you can have convert
output to postscript and pipe directly to a2ps or lpr for the actual
print. Just don't use good paper while you're testing.

Matt Flaschen

Old 03-04-2009, 01:04 AM
NoOp

On 03/03/2009 05:36 PM, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Robert Parker wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:53 AM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>>> A couple of times recently I have wanted to print just part of an
>>> image (.jpg) and, as far as I can see, none of the applications I seem
>>> to have installed on my xubuntu lets me do this.
>>>
>>> I just want to view the image, select a bit of it with a marquee and
>>> then print. I guess the Gimp will do it but it's a bit OTT just for
>>> printing something.
>>

>> sudo apt-get install imagemagick
>>
>> It's a suite of image processing programs. To select part of an image
>> you probably want convert so 'man convert'
>
> Yes, in particular look at the -crop option. Also, you can have convert
> output to postscript and pipe directly to a2ps or lpr for the actual
> print. Just don't use good paper while you're testing.
>
> Matt Flaschen

Or simply print to a cups-pdf printer for testing first..

Note that one might think that imagemagick is a standalone program that
you just run, it's not. Info is here:
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImageMagick

While imagemagik is indeed probably one of the best _command line_ set
of graphic programs out there, I doubt that it is what the OP is looking
for:

<quote>
I just want to view the image, select a bit of it with a marquee and
then print. I guess the Gimp will do it but it's a bit OTT just for
printing something.
</quote>

None of which can be done with imagemagick by itself.

gthumb is probably the simpilest, gimp is just fine, and I'd even
recommend Google's Picasa 3 for linux:
http://picasa.google.com/linux/