Old 03-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Chris G

Default Simple application to print part of an image - suggestions?

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 05:18:08PM +0100, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Chris G wrote:
>
> > I want the section I have selected to print scaled up to fill
> > the A4 sheet.
> as I said, xv is the ideal tool for that: you can specify the
> orientation, the paper size, and exactly the printing size.
>
> The bad side is that it is not available as a deb package. So
> you need 4 lines instead of one to install it. As I know no
> other program as powerful as this one, it seems worthwhile to
> install it:
>
> ==> wget http://atrpms.net/dist/f8/xv/xv-3.10a-37.fc8.i386.rpm
> ==> alien xv-3.10a-37.fc8.i386.rpm
> ==> dpkg -i xv_3.10a-38_i386.deb
> ==> wget ftp://ftp.cis.upenn.edu/pub/xv/docs/xvdocs.pdf

I seem to be fated on this quest! I'm running a 64-bit system and,
although there *appears* to be a 64-bit rpm for xv at the above site
it's a broken link.

I am trying to compile from source but since it's *very* non-standard
(no auto confif or anything) that's proving rather difficult.

> After that, it takes 30 seconds to get what you want:
> xv myfile
> right button to get the menu
> click and drag with button 1 to select the rectangle area
> click on crop
> click on print ...
>
> More info in the pdf document (128 pages...)
>
> --
> Pierre Frenkiel

Chris Green

Old 03-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Patton Echols

On 03/04/2009 02:34 AM, Chris G wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 08:00:08PM -0800, Patton Echols wrote:
>
>> On 03/03/2009 07:22 PM, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>>
>>> Which ImageMagick's display command can do easily. I just gave the full
>>> steps in another email.
>>>

>> Oops, my bad. And here I sent another reply. I wish I had seen this
>> and your other post for mouthing off . . . Again!
>>
>> As you'll see in my other reply, I was aware of display, but did not
>> realize it would do all of that. I had looked at the man page, but
>> understood the options to be command line, not what could be done while
>> looking at an image. Very interesting.
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer
>>

> ... but, as I said, it doesn't do what I want. I can very easily
> select the part of the image I want and have it displayed in the
> ImageMagick window but I can't then get it to fill and A4 sheet when
> printed.
>
> ImageMagick's display utility is almost exactly what I want except for
> the printing bit.

In theory the following should work, but see my problem below.

When using the display utility, as Matt described, before you print,
click on View | Resize The dialog will show the existing geometry eg
640x480,0,0 Replace this with the number if pixels needed to fill the
narrowest width of your page. For example, if your printer is looking
for 300 dpi and you have 8inch X 10.5 inch printable area, the narrow
direction is 2400 dpi so you would use 2400x2400. The "Constrain Ratio"
checkbox is ticked by default so your resized image will be some
different size with a max of 2400

Then do the File | Print sequence.

I tried testing this and it works to a point. A small crop expands a
larger box size, but not full width. My printer is a HP 950c using
and my box uses CUPS to print to it. The IM display command prints to a
postscript printer. I'm not sure what is going on with my setup and I
don't have time to dig into it. (Nor do I have any idea where I would look!)

Old 03-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Chris G

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 01:46:47PM -0800, Patton Echols wrote:
> On 03/04/2009 02:34 AM, Chris G wrote:

> >> Oops, my bad. And here I sent another reply. I wish I had seen this
> >> and your other post for mouthing off . . . Again!
> >>
> >> As you'll see in my other reply, I was aware of display, but did not
> >> realize it would do all of that. I had looked at the man page, but
> >> understood the options to be command line, not what could be done while
> >> looking at an image. Very interesting.
> >>
> >> Thanks for the pointer
> >>

> > ... but, as I said, it doesn't do what I want. I can very easily
> > select the part of the image I want and have it displayed in the
> > ImageMagick window but I can't then get it to fill and A4 sheet when
> > printed.
> >
> > ImageMagick's display utility is almost exactly what I want except for
> > the printing bit.
> >
> In theory the following should work, but see my problem below.
>
> When using the display utility, as Matt described, before you print,
> click on View | Resize The dialog will show the existing geometry eg
> 640x480,0,0 Replace this with the number if pixels needed to fill the
> narrowest width of your page. For example, if your printer is looking
> for 300 dpi and you have 8inch X 10.5 inch printable area, the narrow
> direction is 2400 dpi so you would use 2400x2400. The "Constrain Ratio"
> checkbox is ticked by default so your resized image will be some
> different size with a max of 2400
>
> Then do the File | Print sequence.
>
> I tried testing this and it works to a point. A small crop expands a
> larger box size, but not full width. My printer is a HP 950c using
> and my box uses CUPS to print to it. The IM display command prints to a
> postscript printer. I'm not sure what is going on with my setup and I
> don't have time to dig into it. (Nor do I have any idea where I would look!)

It sort of works (as you say) but it is a bit clumsy, especially as
resizing to 2400x<something> results in a image which is several times
the size of my screen.

Not to mention I don't really see how I know what dpi "your printer is
looking for", my printer's ultimate dpi is something like 1200x1200 I
think.

Strangely using a different application to print the image that
ImageMagick has cropped gets me the result I want!

So all I need do is crop the image to the bit I want with ImageMagick
and then just open the image with another application (showPhoto was
available so I used that, Firefox works OK too) and print it.

It's not perfect but it's good enough, and I didn't need to install
anything extra.

--
Chris Green

Old 03-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Patton Echols

On 03/04/2009 02:37 PM, Chris G wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 01:46:47PM -0800, Patton Echols wrote:

>>> ... but, as I said, it doesn't do what I want. I can very easily
>>> select the part of the image I want and have it displayed in the
>>> ImageMagick window but I can't then get it to fill and A4 sheet when
>>> printed.
>>>
>>> ImageMagick's display utility is almost exactly what I want except for
>>> the printing bit.
>>>

>> In theory the following should work, but see my problem below.
>>
>> When using the display utility, as Matt described, before you print,
>> click on View | Resize The dialog will show the existing geometry eg
>> 640x480,0,0 Replace this with the number if pixels needed to fill the
>> narrowest width of your page. For example, if your printer is looking
>> for 300 dpi and you have 8inch X 10.5 inch printable area, the narrow
>> direction is 2400 dpi so you would use 2400x2400. The "Constrain Ratio"
>> checkbox is ticked by default so your resized image will be some
>> different size with a max of 2400
>>
>> Then do the File | Print sequence.
>>
>> I tried testing this and it works to a point. A small crop expands a
>> larger box size, but not full width. My printer is a HP 950c using
>> and my box uses CUPS to print to it. The IM display command prints to a
>> postscript printer. I'm not sure what is going on with my setup and I
>> don't have time to dig into it. (Nor do I have any idea where I would look!)
>>

> It sort of works (as you say) but it is a bit clumsy, especially as
> resizing to 2400x<something> results in a image which is several times
> the size of my screen.
>
> Not to mention I don't really see how I know what dpi "your printer is
> looking for", my printer's ultimate dpi is something like 1200x1200 I
> think.

Yeah, I have thought about that since and concluded that it was
something to do with how IM translates to postscript or what CUPS is
doing with it after the fact. For my system, a small crop needs to be
resized larger, but that is not the only problem. If anyone else out
there has thoughts, I'm still curious, don't have a "need" but curious.

Patton

Old 03-05-2009, 06:07 AM
Pierre Frenkiel

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Chris G wrote:

> I seem to be fated on this quest! I'm running a 64-bit system and,
> although there *appears* to be a 64-bit rpm for xv at the above site
> it's a broken link.

Actually, some links are broken, but the following works:

wget http://atrpms.net/dist/f8/xv/xv-3.10a-37.fc8.x86_64.rpm

--
Pierre Frenkiel

Old 03-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Chris G

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 08:07:37AM +0100, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Chris G wrote:
>
> > I seem to be fated on this quest! I'm running a 64-bit system and,
> > although there *appears* to be a 64-bit rpm for xv at the above site
> > it's a broken link.
>
> Actually, some links are broken, but the following works:
>
> wget http://atrpms.net/dist/f8/xv/xv-3.10a-37.fc8.x86_64.rpm

OK, I have xv installed and working, however it doesn't do what I
want still, it actually works rather the same as imageMakgick. I have
done what you said:-

After that, it takes 30 seconds to get what you want:
xv myfile
right button to get the menu
click and drag with button 1 to select the rectangle area
click on crop
click on print ...

... and the result is a small image printed in the middle of my sheet
of A4 paper, it doesn't print the cropped image expanded to fill the
whole sheet.

--
Chris Green

Old 03-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Pierre Frenkiel

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Chris G wrote:

> click on print ...
>
> ... and the result is a small image printed in the middle of my sheet
> of A4 paper, it doesn't print the cropped image expanded to fill the
> whole sheet.
the size is displayed in the "print" window, in inches and centimeters.
You have several ways to modify it:
1/ using one of the 2 clock hands
2/ clicking on << or >> to decrease/increase
3/ clicking on < or > for fine tuning
4/ clicking on the "max" tab

the "center" and "origin" tabs may also be useful
Note that clicking in the check box below the 2 clocks
make the width and height tuning independent

May-be I should have say that in my previous post, but I thought it was obvious

--
Pierre Frenkiel

Old 03-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Chris G

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 08:48:29PM +0100, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Chris G wrote:
>
> > click on print ...
> >
> > ... and the result is a small image printed in the middle of my sheet
> > of A4 paper, it doesn't print the cropped image expanded to fill the
> > whole sheet.
> the size is displayed in the "print" window, in inches and centimeters.
> You have several ways to modify it:
> 1/ using one of the 2 clock hands
> 2/ clicking on << or >> to decrease/increase
> 3/ clicking on < or > for fine tuning
> 4/ clicking on the "max" tab

The size *isn't* displayed when I click on 'Print', I just get a
pop-up box saying "Print: Enter a command that will read a PostScript
file from stdin and print it to the desired printer.", plus a few more
bits and pieces, a text entry field with "lpr" in it and "Color",
"Grayscale", "B/W" and "Cancel" buttons at the bottom.

> the "center" and "origin" tabs may also be useful
> Note that clicking in the check box below the 2 clocks
> make the width and height tuning independent
>
> May-be I should have say that in my previous post, but I thought it was obvious

It would probably have been obvious if it was there! :-)

Is it related to the printer driver rather than xv maybe?

--
Chris Green

Old 03-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Pierre Frenkiel

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Chris G wrote:

> The size *isn't* displayed when I click on 'Print', I just get a
> pop-up box saying "Print: Enter a command that will read a PostScript
> file from stdin and print it to the desired printer.", plus a few more
> bits and pieces, a text entry field with "lpr" in it and "Color",
> "Grayscale", "B/W" and "Cancel" buttons at the bottom.

did you ever try to click on "color" and see what happens ?
I swear it is safe and will not burn your house -)

--
Pierre Frenkiel

Old 03-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Brian McKee

Saw this announced and thought of this loooong thread....
http://shutter-project.org/downloads/